Command Unit Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johncook109

Car
S 320 CDI 2007
Hi All. The other day my command went down for no reason with no sat nav or radio. After dropping it in at my local service station they did a complete diagnostic test and found no faults so carried out a factory reset of command unit and all functions are now operative.(cost £140 ). Just a glitch they said!!!!!! They recommend a software update for the command unit as my car is a 2007 and has not had any. (another £75). I have given the go ahead but wondered what changes will I see if any or is this just MB addressing errors in the factory issue. :rolleyes:

There are map upgrades, telematics upgrades, and firmware upgrades.

Firmware upgrades do sometimes add functionality in addition to resolving known bugs.

On my NTG2.5, a recent upgrade added 'Eco Route' (i.e. most economic route, in addition to Fastest, Shortest, and Dynamic'), and a nice features which lowers the radio volume (but does not mute it completely) when navigation announcements are made.

Said that, it obviously depends on which type of COMAND system you have, and what version are you upgrading it from / to.

On another note you should also ask them to upgrade the maps and telematics if applicable while they are at it (on my NTG2.5 it is a separate upgrade to the firmware upgrade).

There are map upgrades, telematics upgrades, and firmware upgrades.

Firmware upgrades do sometimes add functionality in addition to resolving known bugs.

On my NTG2.5, a recent upgrade added 'Eco Route' (i.e. most economic route, in addition to Fastest, Shortest, and Dynamic'), and a nice features which lowers the radio volume (but does not mute it completely) when navigation announcements are made.

Said that, it obviously depends on which type of COMAND system you have, and what version are you upgrading it from / to.

On another note you should also ask them to upgrade the maps and telematics if applicable while they are at it (on my NTG2.5 it is a separate upgrade to the firmware upgrade).

Cheers
:thumb:

You have been ripped off £160! If you posted here the first thing I would have suggested is pull the fuse for COMAND for a full reset, which more often than not gets it all back up and running.

This faulty sometimes happen when the HK amp is on the way out, it is a common fault in the W221 of this age. Sometimes they can be repaired. If it keeps happening speak to Comand.co.uk about it.

Dont bother asking the dealer to update the maps they will want £150. Cheaper to just buy a set of genuine NTG3 discs from ebay, update the system and sell them on.

Last edited:
Hi there. I had already removed and check all fuses and disconnected both supplies at the batteries and re-connected to give a re-boot but all that failed to get the sat nav and Radio/Disc software going. The up date is not for NTG3 sat nav but the MB Filmware I thought.

You posted 'They recommend a software update for the command unit' which is a firmware update for the Comand unit. There is also a seperate map update.

16/17 NTG3 Command Maps up-date

Oh right I will check with them.

Well its been a while but just updated my maps, got them from http://mhhauto.com club (a generous donation would help them maintain the site). The disc took quite a few hours of reloading through the install because of the unknown format pop-up but if you remove the disc switch off for a few hours and restart it will continue from where it left off.

Well its been a while but just updated my maps, got them from MHH AUTO club (a generous donation would help them maintain the site). The disc took quite a few hours of reloading through the install because of the unknown format pop-up but if you remove the disc switch off for a few hours and restart it will continue from where it left off.

As I've said numerous times. Please don't do this. Apart from you have used an illegal download, we *regularly* see broken COMAND and broken NAV drives, where the copy disk has failed to read when the COMAND/Nav drive was reading the firmware from it (first time it was inserted) to update the navigation firmware on the COMAND / Nav Drive.

Given your description you were lucky as clearly the COMAND was having some trouble reading your disk.

If you can't justify the cost of a new one, buy a 1 year out of date one on eBay (but make sure it is genuine!)

Richard

The problem is finding a genuine one! - I bought one that looked legit, and the vendor said they'd been using it in their CLK...

...but when I looked closer it was clearly a burnt DVD with some reasonable quality printing on the front to make it look real.

I'm not taking the risk of nuking my COMAND with it since it's also scratched.

The problem is finding a genuine one! - I bought one that looked legit, and the vendor said they'd been using it in their CLK...

...but when I looked closer it was clearly a burnt DVD with some reasonable quality printing on the front to make it look real.

I'm not taking the risk of nuking my COMAND with it since it's also scratched.

Yes, to be fair there have been a number of occasions where the vehicle owner had been duped .. but turning a W211 Nav drive into a brick (or a W212 COMAND) is an expensive way to find out :-(

Richard

Yes, you are right with your concerns. But at my age the famous old saying "Do you feel lucky punk" is the only excitement I get.

Just a quickie, I read above that he could have upgraded from NTG2.5 to NTG3. Is that right? Can I do so, and if so, is it cheaper/better than updating my 2009 NTG2.5 with the 09/29 comand update? I want to update maps but have to get Comand upgraded first

No, NTG 2.5 and NTG3 are completely different systems for very different models.

Thanks, I did think that was the case but something I read above made me wonder! Cheers

Our 2008 SLK is booked in at local mb dealer on Friday for software/firmware update at £50+VAT=£60 plus new maps disc at £99 incl VAT

That's a very nice price, much less than I have heard people spending!

I just found a screen on my NTG2.5 which has me wondering something....

gE2SOT.jpg

That last option "Music Register" - Anyone know what that is for? It says HDD, I don't suppose there is a USB on the back of the unit where I could hook up a portable hard drive with mp3s on? It's a long shot I know, but got me curious!

Also, I have tried a 4gb SD card with MP3 files on, but it shows no tracks when I select it. Anyone else have this problem?

Music Register is hard disc space within Comand to load music onto.
Not sure how to load music - ours came with a load of acceptable music already loaded by previous owner

Google “loading music onto music register in comand ntg 2.5” brings up loads of info

Thanks very much. Wonder how much space! Could solve my lack of iPod problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom