Command

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by BULLITTBOSS, Sep 15, 2011.

1. BULLITTBOSS

BULLITTBOSS Active Member

Car:
    r129 500sl
    I recently purchased a gl420 which i am over the moon with with exception to the sat nav system which is ok but not so good as my other car Audi A5 the postcode system only uses 4 digits and only guides you to the actual road not the final destination,WOULD a new disc solve the situation as mine has original 2007 disc or would i be wasting my money??
    Richard

2. flowrider

flowrider MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 (R230)
    I don't think it will make any difference. I can never understand why a £2000 builtin system is never as good as a £150 portable satnav from Halfords.

I have had built-in satnav on my last three cars (Jeep, Audio and Mercedes) and they have all been pants compared to my wifes Garmin.

David

1 person likes this.
  3. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
    No the older units only support 5 digit postcode input, a newer navigation disc wont change this.

You would need to upgrade the unit to the newer MY09> Comand NTG2.5 which supports full 7 digit postcode input.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    It is amazing that only the very latest Comand versions accept full British postcodes - apparently there are historical reasons for this that have been discussed previously, but in a nutshell MB couldn't be ****d to go that extra mile for British customers...:dk:
    HOWEVER, once you get over the shock, then it is a fact that specific addresses are indeed more accurate than postcodes, and if you use Linguatronic, even easier. So forget postcodes, go for full addresses - and you don't have a problem!!:thumb:

5. Benzowner

Benzowner MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    :DI don't know why having a full uk postcode helps. My postcode covers 42 properties:D and that is houses not flats, mostly semi detached.

6. rascalmaster

rascalmaster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    its because say you're on the phone to someone and then say '' whats your address? i'll just pop it in the sat nav..." very often it's so much simpler to take their post code and then the actual house number, rather then start with the city, then the street then the house number... (of course that doesn't work either because it will ask you to choose from between 31- 69 or 12- 68 :wall bash:

the mercedes command sat nav is lovely otherwise; the positioning is very precise (you can see this when coming around a large roundabout for instance- it tells you when to take the exit)...
    shame about not having full post code and specific house numbers though.
    also wish it would show you an indication for whats coming next, in advance... such as an arrow and say 2 miles... so you know you have to turn in a while and can adjust for it...
    tomtom i find is absolutely brilliant. good too; how you can customise the display...

7. flowrider

flowrider MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 (R230)
    Because inputting a postcode and house number is quicker than entering a full address.

David

8. flowrider

flowrider MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 (R230)
    The only reason to go with the builtin satnav is convenience of always being to hand, other than that a TomTom or Garmin is way better and massively cheaper although looks naff suckered to the windscreen.

For some reason the Mercedes satnav sometimes decides you are no longer on the route and has you travelling parallel to the road then gets its knickers in a twist trying to get you back onto the road you are already on!

David

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    As long as there are not two streets with the same name in the same Post Code 'district'

Happpened to me a couple of times when driving Mercs with Comand. Had to break out the trusty phone satnav...:eek:

ETA this was when I had used the 'short' postcode with streetname and number.

Not sure that a 'full address' would have helped, as from memory that just showed the two streets, with no indication as to where each was.

10. Merco

Merco Active Member

Car:
    C200 Exec SE Estate
    I bought my car in September 2010 with COMAND and only have the 5-digit input.

11. flowrider

flowrider MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 (R230)
    Interestingly mine does do 7 digit postcodes but the past two times I have wanted to use the satnav it hasn't found all of the postcode and I have had to resort to adding the address the long way.

David

12. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
    NTG4 only has 5 digit postcode input but I think the new NTG4.5 fitted to W204 facelift has 7 digit postcode input.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  13. Red C220

Red C220 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
    I have the new Becker Map Pilot, which is just as good as the COMAND (previously owned a 2010 ML300) unit for guidance.

I bought the unit new for £300 on eBay.

I can see Mercedes phasing out COMAND, it's just to tough to sell at the price.

14. Merco

Merco Active Member

Car:
    C200 Exec SE Estate
    That's interesting as I was under the impression that I had the facelift model and indeed this was confirmed to me by Mercedes at a recent service. I wonder what's going on there then!?

15. Benzowner

Benzowner MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    Another flaw with comand post code entry, my post code is BS30, comand will not let be go beyond BS3 as there is obviously a BS3 area about 8 miles from where I live. I am sure other cities are the same.

16. Goldfish11

Goldfish11 Active Member

Car:
    C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
    New ComandOnline ntg4.5 in the W204 allows linguatronic entry of full UK postcodes. This is excellent just press the button and shout at the system :D

17. Merco

Merco Active Member

Car:
    C200 Exec SE Estate
    Ah, OK - will try it linguatronically(!). I know I can't enter a full postcode manually anyway.

Tags: