Common sense prevails in a triple brown trouser moment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Pootling along the A2 this morning in the middle lane with a Marked 5 Series copper behind me. We get to the M25 turn on and I am 3/4 along the side of of a HGV and he decides to swing into my lane without looking (Brown trouser moment number 1). Braking was not possible so I had to slam my foot 100% down to try and get past it. As I hit the kickdown and turbo, the road was a bit slippy I lost all traction and the back end slid out all over the show in a massive plume of diesel smoke (brown trouser moment number 2) The lorry missed my back by the width a fag paper. I manged to pull into the inside lane after passing a couple of lorries that the first lorry must have wanted to overtake and slowed back down to 70 mph.
I Must have easily topped 90 mph for a good 5 seconds.
A few seconds later the rozzers become level with me in the middle lane and brake to match my speed (brown trouser moment number 3) I look to my right and wave both my hands and mouth to the coppers what was I supposed to do ! The copper in the passenger seat just gave me a little salute and flicked the blue lights on for a second and then pulled onto the hard shoulder behind me to what I am assuming is to wait for the offending lorry to catch up.

So the tagline there is no excuse for speeding in some circumstances is wrong. If id been nicked I would be steaming ! The coppers obviously though so.

Just off to buy some new pants :)

phew, sounds scary - what did the coppers end up saying to you, other than, get some new trousers?

Blimey well done for coming out unscratched even though you might be detailing you seat a bit the weekend.

I was on the A2 last night wedged between two vehicles when i saw blue lights approaching from behind. Sitting there thinking where am i going to go the vehicle on the left moved so i went to go left only to spot the blue lights now much closer so i move forward and right to get out the way the officer had no intention of slowing down while i could get out the way even though i was sandwiched. He did not salute me but he did mouth though his window when i tried to explain i was stuck with my hands that he'd C me N Tuesday :eek:.

Blimey well done for coming out unscratched even though you might be detailing you seat a bit the weekend.

I was on the A2 last night wedged between two vehicles when i saw blue lights approaching from behind. Sitting there thinking where am i going to go the vehicle on the left moved so i went to go left only to spot the blue lights now much closer so i move forward and right to get out the way the officer had no intention of slowing down while i could get out the way even though i was sandwiched. He did not salute me but he did mouth though his window when i tried to explain i was stuck with my hands that he'd C me N Tuesday :eek:.
Surprising choice of word from the copper, still there are plebs who use that word in many places these days.

Funnily enough it's fair to say the clk and it's hulking great remapped V6 derv saved me from serious injury. If I was in my van I would have been fooked today. I never thought the clk was that quick with the long play accelarator and lazy box. In 5 months of ownership I've never once floored it. But catch it in the right spot, blimey ! Ok the rwd conga impression was scary but still managed to catch itself with no input from me :)

You’d be perfectly safe were you in lane 1 at the time ;-)

That's uncanny ! a very similar thing (without the police) happened to me the other day but I did not think of sharing it on here until I read your post.
Dark dry motorway (there's a song in there somewhere :)) 05:00h the other day. I was tooling along in lane 2 passing all the HGV's in lane one minding my own business when I noted another car behind going just a little faster than me gaining on me . I thought OK mate you have lane 3 at your disposal get on with it, but instead of indicating and passing me in lane 3 he dithered long enough for a van behind him to move into lane 3.

If you are still awake and paying attention you will remember lane 1 is full of HGV's and I am going about 70mph .

The van driver did a rare thing (for a van driver :D) he flashed his lights to allow Mr ditherer to move into lane 3 in front of him , which Mr ditherer did.

THEN for reasons that escape any logic and are known only to the ditherer as he came alongside me he indicated to come back into lane 2 , which would allow the worlds most polite white van man to get on with his life, Mr ditherer (now seen to be a Vauxhall insignia) started changing lanes when his rear wheel was alongside my front door totally misjudging that he was driving a full size saloon car and not a unicycle.

In the split seconds I had to think the only thing that would help was to Get the fruck out of there so I mashed the noisy pedal into the floor. A V8 C55 is not the fastest AMG by a long chalk but its 70 to 90/100 is pretty impressive all the same and it helped me avoid a collision with this fool by putting me out of his reach in less than a second. Stomping on the brake would have put us all in trouble.

What peed me off is that the To$$er flashed his lights at me as I sped out of harms way, it was all his fault and white van man did similar to me straight afterwards to get away from the dozy fool.

That's uncanny ! a very similar thing (without the police) happened to me the other day but I did not think of sharing it on here until I read your post.
Dark dry motorway (there's a song in there somewhere :)) 05:00h the other day. I was tooling along in lane 2 passing all the HGV's in lane one minding my own business when I noted another car behind going just a little faster than me gaining on me . I thought OK mate you have lane 3 at your disposal get on with it, but instead of indicating and passing me in lane 3 he dithered long enough for a van behind him to move into lane 3.

If you are still awake and paying attention you will remember lane 1 is full of HGV's and I am going about 70mph .

The van driver did a rare thing (for a van driver :D) he flashed his lights to allow Mr ditherer to move into lane 3 in front of him , which Mr ditherer did.

THEN for reasons that escape any logic and are known only to the ditherer as he came alongside me he indicated to come back into lane 2 , which would allow the worlds most polite white van man to get on with his life, Mr ditherer (now seen to be a Vauxhall insignia) started changing lanes when his rear wheel was alongside my front door totally misjudging that he was driving a full size saloon car and not a unicycle.

In the split seconds I had to think the only thing that would help was to Get the fruck out of there so I mashed the noisy pedal into the floor. A V8 C55 is not the fastest AMG by a long chalk but its 70 to 90/100 is pretty impressive all the same and it helped me avoid a collision with this fool by putting me out of his reach in less than a second. Stomping on the brake would have put us all in trouble.

What peed me off is that the To$$er flashed his lights at me as I sped out of harms way, it was all his fault and white van man did similar to me straight afterwards to get away from the dozy fool.
Interesting. What do believe would have happened if you had braked?

From what I understand of your situation, if he was mid-manouvere then I think I would have instinctively touched the brakes, as I would have thought that would have got out of his way more quickly (no pause to kick down, etc) and he would then have been ahead of me and as such put me in control of my position relative to his.

From what I understand of your situation, if he was mid-manouvere then I think I would have instinctively touched the brakes, as I would have thought that would have got out of his way more quickly (no pause to kick down, etc) and he would then have been ahead of me and as such put me in control of my position relative to his.
Agree, if the other car's rear wheel was level with my door then braking makes far more sense than booting it, the combined effect of the other cars momentum and my speed reduction would be way more effective.

+1

Sorry, forgot to mention , his dawdling and the kindness of white van man allowed other traffic to gain on all of us slightly and I saw lights close behind him from a larger vehicle. I will never know if braking would have been the best option. in this case we all carried on our merry way unscathed. next time ? who knows ?

You’d be perfectly safe were you in lane 1 at the time ;-)

You would think so but got caught out at that very spot before in lane one which resulted in a road rage incident involving brake test , fist shaking and a very nearly a punch up.

The other car was a white c204 with the reg cb12 , coincidence ?? One for the people with good memories on this very forum !!!!!!!!!

You would think so but got caught out at that very spot before in lane one which resulted in a road rage incident involving brake test , fist shaking and a very nearly a punch up.

The other car was a white c204 with the reg cb12 , coincidence ?? One for the people with good memories on this very forum !!!!!!!!!
CB1965?

Something like that can't remember exactly as it was a couple of years ago but seem to remember the plate was an exact match to some mouthy persons user name on here !!!!

Something like that can't remember exactly as it was a couple of years ago but seem to remember the plate was an exact match to some mouthy persons user name on here !!!!
Must be the same guy, got banned and posts argumentative drivel on another forum now.

I'm half convinced that CB1965 and Matt8n were the same person.

After brake checking me I managed to pull beside him and offered to him to pull over and discuss it like men to which he declined and sped off, sounds just like your normal forum keyboard warrior !

At least there was no replacement car parts, just pants OP haha

I had an HGV to my right (I was in lane 1) as I was headed off from the M25 to M4. Came up to my side, indicated and started to merge across. Luckily plenty of torque and dipping partly into the hard shoulder sorted that out. Just odd that this guy had driven along the line of traffic I was in so you'd hope he had some idea as to what vehicles would be to his left.

Reminiscent of something my driving instructor said to me on my first ever driving lesson - in 1968!

"Look at every driver you can see and think, what is the most stupid thing they could do next - and be prepared, as one day one of them will!!". As a 17 year old new driver I thought he was being a bit of a drama queen, but having taken his advice on board, 50 years later I happily acknowledge his wise words, it's kept me away from an awful lot of nastiness (not completely I must add, but even so I'm still alive to tell the tale!). It's called the art of defensive driving, spacial awareness and being prepared.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom