Common Sense?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnEclass

Car
S6/Q5/C300/S4/W209/W211
Where has common sense gone?

Driving back across the M62 towards Manchester yesterday, in the 50mph zone approaching Huddersfield. No problems very busy, I'm in lane 3. small blue kia approaches in lane 2 and suddenly dives in behind me making car behind brake. Still not a problem.....then little blue car approaches to a couple of feet of my bumper and sits there for a couple of miles, I'm still in heavy traffic but have left a sensible gap to car in front....this seems to be upsetting the middle aged woman in little blue car. traffic slows, little blue car dives into lane under cuts and dives in front of me making me brake fairly hard.....blue touch paper is lit.....lights flashed and geture of whats that all about....met with 2 fingers in mirror......now its on!!:mad:

Follow said small car at similar ridiculously close distance as offered to me, with multiple gestures describing my irk!!

Little blue car moves to lane 2....now we are level...window down....middle aged woman looking forward only and is a little flushed......she then changes lane and leaves at huddersfield junction.....temper has calmed urge to follow eases... she achieved absolutely nothing apart form annoying the hell out of me and a few other drivers.

All of this took place at 50mph or less over a distance of say 3 miles so what was she thinking :confused:

What were you thinking? Your behaviour, as described by you, wasn't much different to that of the other drivers.

What exactly did you achieve?

Where has common sense gone?

Driving back across the M62 towards Manchester yesterday, in the 50mph zone approaching Huddersfield. No problems very busy, I'm in lane 3. small blue kia approaches in lane 2 and suddenly dives in behind me making car behind brake. Still not a problem.....then little blue car approaches to a couple of feet of my bumper and sits there for a couple of miles, I'm still in heavy traffic but have left a sensible gap to car in front....this seems to be upsetting the middle aged woman in little blue car. traffic slows, little blue car dives into lane under cuts and dives in front of me making me brake fairly hard.....blue touch paper is lit.....lights flashed and geture of whats that all about....met with 2 fingers in mirror......now its on!!:mad:

Follow said small car at similar ridiculously close distance as offered to me, with multiple gestures describing my irk!!

Little blue car moves to lane 2....now we are level...window down....middle aged woman looking forward only and is a little flushed......she then changes lane and leaves at huddersfield junction.....temper has calmed urge to follow eases... she achieved absolutely nothing apart form annoying the hell out of me and a few other drivers.

All of this took place at 50mph or less over a distance of say 3 miles so what was she thinking :confused:
It happens a lot to me, and to be honest I used to get mad and react but now I have realised it achieves nothing,give yourself a few extra years of life with less stress on the heart and ignor them. You may find it difficult at first but I promise you it gets easier, until all you will do is tut and drop back a few yards and let them get on with being an idiot. Sooner or later they will get caught out it just won,t involve you. :cool:

I'm also fed up with people tailgating me on that 50mph stretch. I simply set my cruise control to 50 and that's that. I always end up with some plonker up my backside for miles and miles, very annoying! I'd rather they just overtook me than do that!

I'm also fed up with people tailgating me on that 50mph stretch. I simply set my cruise control to 50 and that's that. I always end up with some plonker up my backside for miles and miles, very annoying! I'd rather they just overtook me than do that!

Fair enough, but the OP was in lane 3 so the other driver had no opportunity to overtake (assuming we're talking about a three-lane stretch here). Not defending tailgating or anything else that the other driver did, but the OP seriously needs to consider both his own driving and why he reacted in the way he did.

Rather than getting wound up myself i find it far better to sit back and relax, smirking intently. You get this warm, sadistic pleasure that the other person is wound up to the max and you're all hunky dory ;)

A nice smile and wave never goes a miss too haha!

Thanks for the comments, and yes 2 wrongs dont make a right!

I should just enjoy my CLK and let other plonkers do what they wish and not react, as to driving in lane 3 being an issue.....suggest you try driving that stretch of the M62 its generally rammed 3 lanes wide!

Thanks all, promise to take a deep breath and relax in future

Lane 3 is for overtaking, if your not overtaking you shouldn't be in that lane.

People sitting in lane 3 and making no attempt to move into lane 1 or 2 is IMO the most infuriating thing on the roads, I also believe poor lane discipline is one of the main causes of tailbacks.

Rather than getting wound up myself i find it far better to sit back and relax, smirking intently. You get this warm, sadistic pleasure that the other person is wound up to the max and you're all hunky dory ;)

A nice smile and wave never goes a miss too haha!

Sometimes a smile and a sticking-up thumb as the other car passes really cools them off too...

Lane 3 is for overtaking, if your not overtaking you shouldn't be in that lane.

People sitting in lane 3 and making no attempt to move into lane 1 or 2 is IMO the most infuriating thing on the roads, I also believe poor lane discipline is one of the main causes of tailbacks.

^^^ +1

Do 50 mph in one of the inside lanes please & leave the outside lane open.

^^^ +1

Do 50 mph in one of the inside lanes please & leave the outside lane open.

Often, in 50 limits and busy conditions, the universe goes into some sort of stasis, and L1 becomes the 'overtaking lane'. If only by 2mph....

In situations like this you just need to leave the offender to their moronic ways. No point pointing yourself at risk & no doubt one day they'll cut in front of someone who isn't paying attention & get a sore rear-end for their stupidity.

I tend to find there is less traffic on the hard shoulder.

A few cones perhaps to negotiate but it breaks up the monotonous journey when stuck in traffic. :dk:

I was with you up until "Follow said small car at similar ridiculously close distance as offered to me" then you should have backed off.

Driven like that - the lady will have a crash soon - karma will get her.

Although they have now gone the 50mph average speed cameras on the M25 were terrible for being tailgated by HGV. You have to drive at ~55mph to keep them from sitting a few feet from your tail. Moving to lane 3 just meant that if you stuck to the speed limit you got tailgated there too.

At this point, I'm entirely with you - death to little blue car and woman :thumb:

A little harsh do you not think ?

Poor little blue car. :)

Not sure at what speed the 50mph roadworks cameras actually trigger a prosecution, but I have the impression that the HGVs wish to maintain their governed maximum (around 56mph?) and feel safe from prosecution at that speed. Also, although 2 or 3 mph is no big deal, if you're working on your indicated 50mph speed rather than true you're probably at 47mph, which may seem frustratingly slow to others.

Not sure at what speed the 50mph roadworks cameras actually trigger a prosecution, but I have the impression that the HGVs wish to maintain their governed maximum (around 56mph?) and feel safe from prosecution at that speed. Also, although 2 or 3 mph is no big deal, if you're working on your indicated 50mph speed rather than true you're probably at 47mph, which may seem frustratingly slow to others.

Speed camera partnerships have different limits for prosecution depending which part of the country you are caught speeding.

The Police also have different limits.

If you keep within 10 % + 1 mph over speed limit you should be safe.

In situations like this you just need to leave the offender to their moronic ways. No point pointing yourself at risk & no doubt one day they'll cut in front of someone who isn't paying attention & get a sore rear-end for their stupidity.

The Highway Code has some sound advice in this repect:

"Do not drive in a spirit of competition with other road users. If another driver shows lack of care or good manners do not attempt any form of retaliation."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom