Commsupport recomendation...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm looking at doing the CCNA exam (aiming at the CCNP/CCIE-security eventually) and noticed this training center isn't too far from me...

Cisco CCNA & Cisco CCNP courses | CommSupport Networks

They're cheap (£360 for a weekday, £460 for the weekend) and the site seems to be fairly up-front...

Has anyone used them? Or can anyone recomend a cheap place I can get some hands on experience (I have the simulator and the books... haven't read them yet, but I have them somewhere)?

Thanks,
M.

Are you ever going to stop training, leave that uni, and get a real job?!

:D ;)

Ever stop training? Absolutely not :D Learning is a lifelong experience!

Leave "that" uni? Well... I've left a uni already, joined another (Which I'm leaving in December) and joined a third (which I'm leaving in another 6 weeks)

Get a real job? I'm actually looking for a new job now... I do have a current (full time) job as a sysadmin, but I want more... Hence the reason I'm training so much ;)

Working on my thesis now, but after August that will quiet down too...

M.

can anyone recomend a cheap place I can get some hands on experience (I have the simulator and the books... haven't read them yet, but I have them somewhere)?

If you just want to play with IOS, I've an old SOHO97 DSL modem you're welcome to borrow. I've stopped using it since it didn't take the upgrade to ADSL Max very well (the DSL modem simply didn't get on well with the DSLAM at my exchange), but it has served me very well for many years. I think it's running 12.3T or so, maybe 12.4, I'd have to fire it up to check. Of course, it depends on what you actually want to *do* with it, what kind of "hands on" experience do you mean ;-)

-simon

Simon: Thank you very much for the offer. I was actually looking at some "labs" on ebay (i.e. a collection of random cisco odds and ends). This made me think - at work, we use only cisco gear for our network... Tomorrow I'll have a chat with the head of the IT department... I'm sure that across three campuses we have some old routers and switches (and who knows what else) that have been left by the wayside by the recent gigabit train...

Might play a bit with those first... see if I can find some time over summer when all the classrooms are empty to set up a mini-lab and spend some time tinkering... I'll see what we have, and if I find that I need a DSL model I'll drop you a pm.

I'd still be curious to know how people got their CCNA/CCNP/CCIE qualification - self-study (books, videos, hands-on, other?) or in a classroom type environment? How hard is the test? I have no issues with the general OSI model and networking (at least, I didn't have any when I did the networking course as part of my undergrad... I doubt it's changed much since :p)

I also need to find time to renew my ACSA qualification; but that's easy now as I use it on a daily basis... it really is just a matter of finding time (and money) to book the tests!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom