compact camera suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
quite like this (the new Panasonic DMC-XS3):

head.jpg

No idea whether it's any good, but like the slim line and uncluttered design.

My priorties are:

1. lightweight and small
2. picture quality (especially in low light)
3. ease of use
4. clean and uncluttered design
5. good range of optical zoom

Suggestions or comments welcome.

As DMC-XS3 is new, not a lot of deals around. Prices seem to be around £120 -- which is what curry pc world is selling them for.

I have the Sony NEX-5, excellent picture quality and very good low light performance.

I have the Sony NEX-5, excellent picture quality and very good low light performance.

Possibly a bit larger and more expensive than the OP is looking for given the small compact described in his post.:D

On questions for the OP...

Is low light capability and/or flash important?
Does it have to very small?
Do you print stuff out?
Do you want powerful (as in longer reach) zoom?
Do you want a wider angle capability?
What are you used to at the moment?
Is weatherproofing / toughness important?
Is a rechargeable or a set of disposable batteries more attractive?

On questions for the OP...

Is low light capability and/or flash important?
Yes.

Does it have to very small?
Yes, as small as possible. I hate carrying large things around.

Do you print stuff out?
No.

Do you want powerful (as in longer reach) zoom?
Yes, but not excesssive. Does not have to be AMG type zoom :)

Do you want a wider angle capability?
Not especially

What are you used to at the moment?
Sony Xperia Ray camera phone!

Is weatherproofing / toughness important?
No.

Is a rechargeable or a set of disposable batteries more attractive?
Either is fine.

Cost wise, for the right camera, happy to go up to £500.

But I need to move quick as holiday (which triggered compact camera requirement) starts on Sat 5 Oct.

FWIW, I reckon Canon have the best compacts. I have 3:

Ixus 980. Tiny, slips into a suit pocket without noticing. The 14.7 MP sensor is overkill, and not very sensitive.

Powershot SX200. A great all-rounder. 12 MP and 12x zoom.

G11. Somewhat bulkier and only a 5x zoom, but a proper piece of glass on the front. It takes a lovely photo.

Cheers,

Gaz

Low light picture quality will suffer on a tiny sensor camera so it is difficult to recommend one with that requirement given the small size cameras you are looking for.

However the Canon G11 (and new G12) are pretty good and if flash is important, can take a standard flash on there hot shoes.

One factor to take in to account is that you should really go and handle a few as some can be almost impenetrable to use while others have tiny buttons that only a child can operate or hieroglyphics that need translating!!

Low light picture quality will suffer on a tiny sensor camera so it is difficult to recommend one with that requirement given the small size cameras you are looking for.

However the Canon G11 (and new G12) are pretty good and if flash is important, can take a standard flash on there hot shoes.

One factor to take in to account is that you should really go and handle a few as some can be almost impenetrable to use while others have tiny buttons that only a child can operate or hieroglyphics that need translating!!

life is always about what I want but can't have :)

OK with little buttons as I have svelte limbs :)

Sean,

None of mine are new BTW. Just a thumbs-up for Canon compacts in general.. my "serious" camera (SLR) is a Sony, but TBH that only gets an airing at weddings etc. these days.. carrying round a bag of lenses is a PITA.

Cheers,

Gaz

I'd suggest taking a look at the Canon S110 or the just launched S120. I've had their ancestor, the S90, for three years and its the most pocketable camera with good performance that I've ever owned.

If low light is important then a bigger sensor wider aperture lens are good things.

Canon G15, Panaonic Lumix DMC-LX7, Canon S120, and Sony RX100 are options I'd look at (though these are bigger/bulkier - especially the the Canon G15 - than the model you showed in your initial post).

A bit lower down the market the Panasonic TZ40 is in a different category (smaller sensor, smaller maximum aperture) but reasonably compact and offers a long zoom range.

It's definitely a problem figuring what to go for if you don't have a tight price constraint because there are so many options and even the lower end cheaper cameras are very good for general use these days.

There are even slightly mad options like the Sony QX10 and QX100 which need an Android phone or iPhone to operate as their screen.

thanks all for your input.

I had a close look at the Lumix XS3 and the Canon S110 this am.

have decided to go with the Lumix XS3 .. it's quite a lot smaller and lighter that the S110.

I'd been very happy with my Canon G9 till it died this year (imaging sensor/motherboard - not unusual, apparently). As mentioned any compact is a tradeoff between:

size
weight
cost
zoom range
sensor size
etc.

I went for a Sony RX100 II as image quality and being pocketable were my main criteria.

I went for a Sony RX100 II as image quality and being pocketable were my main criteria.

If my G died I think the RX100 is the route I would take. Though I'm mightily tempted by micro 4/3 Lumix or APS-C Nex as a sort of semi-pocketable solution with a larger sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom