CompareTheMarket - be aware...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
SuzyQ is renewing the insurance on her Ka - I went on GoCompare for her and got a range of prices. She went on CompareTheMarket and all her prices were around £50 cheaper!!

So, she selected Admiral as the best value and tried to buy - their website said she had to call. This is where it got interesting....

Admiral said she had not divulged my own SP30 and an accident - when she gave them details the price rose by approx £50!!! :eek:

Admiral say that CompareThe Market are not very good at passing details through. I could of course be a cynic and say that it is done on purpose so their quotes look cheaper in the first place - a kind of inertia selling? :rolleyes: She went back and checked her initial input and the details were certainly there!

On a serious note what if someone were to buy a policy but not be paid out on a claim due to "undivulged information" even though they had divulged when first entering details on CompareTheMarket? I know that at the end of the day it is the proposers responsibility to ensure correct information, but still!!!

Caveat Emptor.

It's your 'job' to make sure the details in the insurance co's offer are correct, regardless of where the co got their info from.

It may be a bit of a fiddle 'losing' some info in transit, but there would be 0% comeback if you missed something and later relied on it.

Some transactions in life you can arguably ignore (or skip through) the Ts&Cs and small print. Insurance is not one of them!

In plain simple language " LET THE BUYER BEWARE " Caveat Emptor.

Regards.

I thought 'Compare The Market' were about a Tenor less than 'Go Compare' :D

Or Meerly a Cats whisker:D

If SQ had applied through CTM, Admiral would have sent out a letter with her details on it requesting that she check everything is as it should be. This is when the SP30 or lack of it would have been picked up.

But direct contact with the insurer does this instead.

If SQ had applied through CTM, Admiral would have sent out a letter with her details on it requesting that she check everything is as it should be. This is when the SP30 or lack of it would have been picked up.

I realise this. The point is that she would then have had the premium increased. I'm not complaining re the price - it's the (IMHO) sharp practice by CTM that infuriates me

Yes, Caveat Emptor!

I have recently been through the same exercise with my contents insurance after Tesco tried to increase my premium by 47% inspite of no claims in the previous year..or any other year for that matter.
Basically the price you get on all these comparison site bears little resemblance to the harsh reality after you fill out a detailed proposal form.

SuzyQ is renewing the insurance on her Ka - I went on GoCompare for her and got a range of prices. She went on CompareTheMarket and all her prices were around £50 cheaper!!

So, she selected Admiral as the best value and tried to buy - their website said she had to call. This is where it got interesting....

Admiral said she had not divulged my own SP30 and an accident - when she gave them details the price rose by approx £50!!! :eek:

Admiral say that CompareThe Market are not very good at passing details through. I could of course be a cynic and say that it is done on purpose so their quotes look cheaper in the first place - a kind of inertia selling? :rolleyes: She went back and checked her initial input and the details were certainly there!

On a serious note what if someone were to buy a policy but not be paid out on a claim due to "undivulged information" even though they had divulged when first entering details on CompareTheMarket? I know that at the end of the day it is the proposers responsibility to ensure correct information, but still!!!

You should register a complaint with compare the market. Frankly given how important such information is, they should be passing it through.

All these comparison sites have peculiar systems. I have a weird business type (installing wine cellars) which always creates a big problem with their standard industry codes. I think one time the form I got back from an insurer showed I was actually the owner of a retail bank, which was just a little inaccurate.

I had my occupation as Coxswain. Got fed-up wiv Jooolie from 'emel 'empstead asking me to spell it I said C O C K S W A N E.

That got them thinking. :D (which made a change)

So.... what would happen if you had an accident before you could verify the written details of the policy?

Also, they are the only firm offering insurances in all of Meerkovo.

I just wonder if their repairers use genuine Meercedes parts.....

:doh:

And all cars get free Meer polish?

Insurance comparison sites are somewhat unreliable in my experience, to the extent that I will now always ring the cheapest provider and go through my details manually to make sure that everything is correct before setting up the policy.

This all stems from a couple of years ago when I bought the Barchetta and set up the policy on-line. All the paperwork came through, I gave it a cursory glance and chucked it in the file. A few months later, I bought the Subaru and had to go through one of my regular policy-swapping routines that come from owning too many cars :doh:. Anyway, it transpired that the Barchetta was listed as right hand drive (they were only ever manufactured in LHD), which is a bit of a show stopper. If I had been involved in an accident, the insurance company would have immediately had a get-out for not paying the claim.

But it can also work in your favour sometimes.. I got a best quote of ~£250 from a comparison site, and rang the company up to confirm the details. OK, so it's 10 minutes of your life gone but all the policy details were entered correctly and.. they re-quoted at £215! Result..

Cheers,

Gaz

Basically the price you get on all these comparison site bears little resemblance to the harsh reality after you fill out a detailed proposal form.

Not in my experience. We've insured 3 cars and 2 houses via GC/CTM for 2 or 3 years now, and each time we've paid the same price when clicking through to buy.

Seems harsh £50 for one sp30. Most insurers let one go, some even 2. I always use a broker. Once had bank offering buildings and contents insurance 50% cheaper. Called broker, spent 10 minutes comparing cover and soon realised why. Carp cover.
Same with cars. People buy on price not benefits, then complain. I always read the small print.

As Gaz said, call the insurer direct after using comparison website. They have that commission to play with for your business.

Insurance comparison sites are somewhat unreliable in my experience, to the extent that I will now always ring the cheapest provider and go through my details manually to make sure that everything is correct before setting up the policy.

Gaz

Nail on head there, I think, Gaz. Use them to find the lowest and then telephone the lowest three or four and check the prices again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom