Comparison of fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

How would the consumption of a 2010 C350cdi compare to my 12 year old C220cdi? Much worse, slightly worse, roughly the same? I really need to get another Merc and I like these a lot. The last couple of times I checked my 220cdi over two tanks of fuel it came in at about 38mpg the first time and 42 the second time. Steady, mixed conditions. I would be very interested to know before I proceed any further.

A lot worse. Heavier car, 900cc and 2 cylinders bigger with a DPF.

You'll average 35mpg in the C350.

But it's faster and more refined.

It would probably depend to some degree on the type of driving you do. For reasons above (weight, cylinders and capacity) I'd expect it to be worse in town and stop/start trips but there have been several posts suggesting that motorway economy is on a par.

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling thats the way it would be. As for the type of driving the car would see, none of it would be in stop start traffic but mostly 20 odd mile round trips on dual carriageways and fast-ish roads.
I only started to consider a 350 after I asked the advice of someone who is involved with Mercedes every day and knows a lot about them. I originally thought about a C200 cdi, but I was advised to avoid them if possible as he has experienced expensive fuel injection problems with them. I have already mentioned in another post that I have just made the mistake of buying a new car only to find it does not suit me and it will have to go unfortunately, so I really need to be sure about my next purchase, it needs to be a "keeper" What I want is something reasonably economical, maybe on par with my 220. But above all it needs to be as reliable and trouble free as my 220 has been for the last 10 years as I intend to keep the new one for a similar amount of time.
Any more thoughts or advice from owners of similar models would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom