Comparison Websites + renewal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
OK, so this has been covered plenty of times before, but just wanted to post my experience after receiving this years renewal premium from Hastings Direct.

Last year, I paid £282 fully comp, missus included with protected NCB on the E55.
So I knew that IPT had increased on 1st June, so expected a slight rise.
Opening the renewal letter was a surprise, Hastings want £419 this year!

So, I did what I do every year and started looking at the comparison sites, and this is where I can't work out what insurance companies are playing at and how they reach their figures.

The main 3 comparison sites as you know are Compare the Market, Confused.com and Money Supermarket. Trying all 3 brought some surprising comparisons (see what I did there?)

Remembering I'm being quoted by Hastings Direct £419 to renew, I got the following quotes from just the cheapest companies.

Confused.Com gave their three cheapest companies which were as follows.

1 Tesco £292
2 Hastings Essential £326
3 Hastings Direct £331

Then on to Compare the Market.

1 Hastings Essential £330
2 Tesco £341
3 Hastings Direct £343

Finally, Money Supermarket gave me the following quotes and here is the big surprise.

1 Tesco £257
2 Hastings Essential £295
3 Hastings Direct £308

So 15 minutes work could save me £127 going with Tesco instead of renewing, but the thing that bothers me most is Hastings Direct wanting £111 more to renew than me cancelling and renewing online through Money Supermarket!

I haven't finished looking yet and by no means certain I'd choose Tesco (anyone got any experience of Tesco car insurance and what they are like for customer service if there is a problem?) but one thing is sure, I won't be taking up Hastings offer this year.
There is absolutely zero loyalty shown by insurance companies and I'm of the same mind now. Three years running I've has competitive premiums, now they do this. Crooks, the lot of them.

I'm not so sure this is the insurance company as such, although they will have a hand in it I'm sure.

I think this could be the comparison sites pushing the best deal (for them) and hoping you won't bother to compare using other comparison sites.

Be nice to have comparison site comparison sites although I imagine they would be much the same. :rolleyes:

You could be right John. Money Supermarket seems ad heavy too and the cheapest. The owners of all the comparison sites are rich men. Advertising won't be the only revenue as I expect insurance companies will pay to be included on the lists.

I still loath insurance companies though:D

Try aviva - they aren't on the comparison sites but I find them to be very competitive

Hastings Direct wanting £111 more to renew than me cancelling and renewing online

That's the game they all play. Lazy = auto renew =pay a lot more.

Same as breakdown cover, I know someone who was paying £390 for AA gold membership after auto renewing for 5+ years.

My hastings car insurance renewal came through yesterday at £470, I called them to cancel the auto-renew and they *cough* ran the numbers and dropped it to £430. I cancelled and paid £370 for a policy that had ALL the bells and whistles such as legal expenses, lost key cover, mis-fueling cover etc etc.

#1 trick, run your details through all the price comparison sites and then go and re-quote direct on the best priced insurers sites to get an even better price. If you are able to run it through a cashback site - happy days - I got another £38 back.

I had 2 cars insured with Tesco for a few years and after a minor bump, although nothing is cheap, the service was very good.
I am now with Aviva.

I had 2 cars insured with Tesco for a few years and after a minor bump, although nothing is cheap, the service was very good.
I am now with Aviva.

The reviews of both Tesco and Hastings don't make good reading. Neither seem to much good when it matters.

The reviews of both Tesco and Hastings don't make good reading. Neither seem to much good when it matters.

I guess that Tesco are more focussed on selling their salt laden heart attack food and Hastings are battling the frenchies :D

I left Aviva because it used to take me 40 minutes on the phone to get a car temporarily added to my policy whilst my car was in for a service. :crazy:

That was at the turn of the last decade though so not sure if they have improved.

This year i have found Aviva, Directline and RAC to all be cheaper than the comparison site quotes on like for like policies. Thats never happened before.

Hi,
Churchill renewal just in £225, gave them a call to see if could do better and £205

post office quote was £880 :devil: but they will beat renewal by £50 so will end up paying £155 after chq back :dk:

I always try NFU as well and just took another policy with them as they include breakdown and no fee's to change details and they were cheaper

:thumb:

I've had very expensive quotes from all of the companies recommended here - Aviva, NFU etc. NFU apparently good if you are not in a city.

I've got one car on Admiral and one on Tesco at the moment - their renewals are 6m apart, but always intriguing to see the best price available compared to that offered.

OP, have you checked all the t&c's on the comparison sites are the same as your existing policy? Even a minor detail like policy excess can make a big difference to their quotes.

Remember that Hastings and Tesco are not insurance companies just in effect agents, nothing more. Bh had a very good experience with Tesco , but like any service provider it's always hit and miss. Hastings will mirror NCD on 2 cars as well. Always remember as well that prices will vary literally hour by hour from the same Insurer. Insured the CL recently with Hastings in the morning. After lunch remembered that I had not included bh on the policy and rang back. She had an accident recently so I expected a massive price increase . No the premium had reduced by then and I got a refund of £75. No sense in it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom