Compatibility of Interlinked smoke alarms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
The Mains Smoke alarm in my hallway was beeping for a new battery even when a new battery was inserted and had been only lasting a few weeks every time a fresh 9V battery was inserted so i decided that as it was installed circa 2010-2013 it was past it, and ordered a new one. I went for the "Hi spec " make thinking its the same make as the existing so hopefully is a straight replacement wiring connector and baseplate, but no things are never that straightforward I connected the new connector to the terminal block in the ceiling then the new baseplate chiselling out some more plasterboard so the connector didnt foul when it rotated to lock, so all good then ?......... No soon as i connected it it set the other interconnected alarms off ,and I couldnt silence the others , only by disconnecting the interlink wire will the others silence, which is what I have done for now. So will I have to replace my other 2 alarms ( another smoke in downstairs hall and a heat one in the kitchen ) How compatible are these / different makes ??
Boyd

In my experience there is little compatibility between makes, even from the same manufacturers models.
I needed to replace a wireless interlinked alarm only to find the manufacture no longer made the model and the 'improved' version wasn't compatible with the old ones. I have four alarms to replace now....

In my experience there is little compatibility between makes, even from the same manufacturers models.
I needed to replace a wireless interlinked alarm only to find the manufacture no longer made the model and the 'improved' version wasn't compatible with the old ones. I have four alarms to replace now....
wiring checked and correct so bit the bullet and ordered 3 new Aico 2 smoke 1 heat as recommended by which and cheap so onwards and upwards no replacement is ever simple is it

Careful if you choose the FireAngel ones.
The batteries are not replaceable and are supposed to last ten years.
I had three, all failed within a couple of years.
I returned one for a free replacement but the battery lasted barely a year.
All now replaced with Wilko ones which seem to work fine.

I went with interlinked mains with a 9v battery backup where the 9v replaceable battery lasts approx 4 years

Reactions: Ted
Exactly my experience with FireAngel, supposedly 10yr battery just managed 2yrs!!

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom