Complaints about dodgy MOT'rs!

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Leemc2008, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Leemc2008

Leemc2008 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Stick this in here, because its regarding my Citroen Saxo.. took it for its MOT and not very happy.. so wrote this long complaint to VOSA!

Anyone else had MOT scams?

2. recycled

recycled Hardcore MB Enthusiast

always take it for a pre MOT, then use a garage that does not fix cars.
    Mine always passes first time though, except once it failed on the rear brake flexi pipes.

They wanted £100 to replace them so i went to MB bought them for £16 and got them replaced for £20.

On your retest anyway. if it was within 10days they should only test on the items that failed so 2 days is well within that limit.
    cars are required to pass emmisons but are not required to have a cat.
    You can see if your cars passes by looking at the results on the computer.

1.03 for lambda. 0.3 for CO or something like that and HC 200ppm, not sure.
    how can your side lights fail? are these repeater lights or headlamp sidelights? these are manufacturer fitted, except they are not working, they cannot fail
    http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-qanda.html.

There are dodgy garages that can fail you on intermittent wipers not working, which is just stupid as that is not needed

Free re-test* items which do not require the full Test to be conducted if the vehicle is brought back to the station and re-Tested before the end of the next working day:

*Only one free re-test is permissible per MOT

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ANTI LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) WARNING[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BODY CONDITION
    (WHERE THE EXAMINATION OF THE BODY IS CARRIED OUT SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF ASCERTAINING WHETHER THERE ARE ANY SHARP EDGES OR PROJECTIONS LIKELY TO CAUSE INJURY)
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BOOT LID[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BRAKE PEDAL ANTI-SLIP DEVICES[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIRECTION INDICATORS/ HAZARD WARNING[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DOORS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DROPSIDES[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EXHAUST[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EMISSIONS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FUEL FILLER CAP[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HEADLAMP AIM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HORN[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LAMPS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LOADING DOOR[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MIRRORS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REAR REFLECTORS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REGISTRATION PLATES[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEAT BELTS (BUT NOT ANCHORAGES)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEATS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]STEERING WHEEL[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TAILBOARD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TAILGATE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V. I. N.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WINDSCREEN[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WINDSCREEN WIPERS/ W[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASHERS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHEELS AND TYRES (Class III, IV and VII only)
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  3. normanr

normanr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

As far as I am concerned the MOT is a big ripp-off and allways has been.
    When the car leaves the MOT station after being tested it should be 100% road-worthy but that is not necessarily the case.

4. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    100% road worthy after an MOT? not necessarily true.

I would expect it to be 100% compliant with the MOT requirements though.

5. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    I'm feeling sore after my daughter's SEAT Ibiza failed on a couple of items - worn suspension bush and uneven rear brakes.

It was being serviced at 4yrs/33K miles by not so local SEAT dealer who had offered us what seemed like a good deal when the car came off the VAG service and maint scheme at 3yrs.

Handily for the dealer, both jobs take an hour - nice little earner. They rang and told me at 3PM and said the car would still be ready as promised at 4.30PM! I arrived at 5PM and the car was ready and waiting having been stunningly well valeted. Maybe they did that first, but unlikely.

6. Kompressor_Dude

Kompressor_Dude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport
    I've always made it perfectly clear that i'll be doing any necessary work myself when i take my sisters/gf's car in for an MOT.

Helps prevent any creative testing, as they'll not see a profit from it!

7. normanr

Thats where the MOT is wrong the law should be MOT test car is roadworthy,that's what driving your car is all about I don't want an unroadwothy car to drive round in and then get stopped by the police because it isn't.
    What is the MOT for then, oh I know more money in the government coffers but if you get killed because your car is not roadworthy you can't blame us WHAT A FARCE.

8. recycled

Well no test in the world can ensure your car is roadworthy all the time, every single minute of the day. Most things is up to you to check. is the car driving funny, are my tyres worn. Suspensions give a fair bit of warning before they go some times.

9. normanr

We are on about when it leaves the MOT station which according to information I have had and read does not mean it is road worthy

10. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    I quite like the Spanish system where the test is done independantly. I used to take my car to a HGV service centre, who also did MOT on cars, but not any repair work. You always new that the MOT was honest.

I do recall the car failing it's test, and subsequently the engine exploding, so it was off the road for quite a while. Had a new tyre fitted when the car was repaired, and decided they might as well MOT it for convenience. They subsequently failed it on a load of tosh. Took it back to my normal test station and passed with flying colours.

David

11. janner

janner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Turbo Technics
    I don't think that's true anymore. The £25 was for a re-test not a partial test. If you take the car away for repairs they have to do a whole new test which might well throw up some additional problems that passed two days earlier. Some MOT garages are cowboys but the regulations are getting tighter all the time.

12. recycled

if you take your car away, they do not have to do a whole new test.
    I took mine away and was back 2 days later. did not get charged and it passed.
    I can only tell you from 1st hand experience what happened to me.

13. Dragon

Dragon Banned

Next time, stick only to Merc cars.

14. Marque

Marque Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220 CDI Avantgarde (2006/55)
    If you find a dodgy garage, you might find reporting them to Trading Standards is more effective. Does VOSA have a compliance unit that inspects garages?

15. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    You can have a partial test if the original tester is available to test the car. If the car is to be tested by another tester it has to have a full test.

16. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Can you expand on this.? A car should be roadworthy when it finishes it's MOT test. That's the whole point of the test, to ensure roadworthyness.
    It's a minimum requirement, but doesn't mean the car has no faults, just that the ones tested aren't bad enough to render a fail.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  17. Dragon

Dragon Banned

Yes they do, they have magnifying glass on testers on regular basis. You got away you were lucky doesn't mean you would get away next time. :p

18. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Actually I think you'll find it should be roadworthy before it goes for the test. They only check it's condition not change it.

Anyway if it passes it only means it complies with the requirements of the test. It does not mean it is roadworthy.

And I think you be hard pushed to find any official statement that says it is. Would leave the Gov wide open to lawsuites in the event of accident.

19. Tiff

Tiff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart Fortwo Passion
    Not true,As long as the re-test is at the same station,any Nominated tester can retest the car.I used to work at a place where we only did MOT's-No repairs-4 testers and 1 ramp,with up to 40 tests a day,both cars and bikes.We all mucked in and got through all the tests,and VOSA were/are quite happy with this.We had sometimes 4 tests logged on at any time,through the 2 computers.

I'm a class 1,2,3,4 and 7 tester,have been for some time- the rules,and VOSA still baffle me sometimes!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  20. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Sorry Tiff but you are wrong there..

We are an MOT station and only the original tester is allowed to do the partial retest..

Was yours before the MOT's went electronic? As with the old paper version it would be easy to do that and not get noticed.