Complaints about dodgy MOT'rs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd still disagree folks,sorry! I'll check with VOSA in the morning-you got me doubting myself now!

Vosa expect all testers to be to the same standard,and we all follow the same book, so all tests SHOULD be exactly the same-according to them!

This is all I could find about it for now until I get to work tomorrow:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/em2006/uksiem_20061998_en.pdf

Last edited:
no even they recognise that there is discretion involved in a test.. thats the whole reasoning behind it.

Not true,As long as the re-test is at the same station,any Nominated tester can retest the car.I used to work at a place where we only did MOT's-No repairs-4 testers and 1 ramp,with up to 40 tests a day,both cars and bikes.We all mucked in and got through all the tests,and VOSA were/are quite happy with this.We had sometimes 4 tests logged on at any time,through the 2 computers.

I've no idea how it works, but I'm surprised that this way of working is considered OK, it would surely be easy to assume someone else had examined a particular item?

As for having 2 tests on one computer, how do you stop the inputs from getting mixed up?

Each tester has a unique card and password,and can only log on to one test (or re-test) at a time,so you cannot get mixed up.

OK, Got an answer from VOSA, through the email on the MOT computer from the local area offic.

I quote.
"Ideally it should be the same tester,however this is not always possible.It must be a listed tester at the same VTS as the original test who conducts the retest. Reference: MOT testing guide,section B,B5,13."

So no problems with another tester doing a retest,but should be the original tester if possible.

So no problems with another tester doing a retest,but should be the original tester if possible.

We knew that already. The query was whether another tester could just check the defect items instead of carrying out a full retest.

I still believe the answer is no they can't, they have to perform a full test, even if it's a retest.

I got a reply from VOSA.. got what I expected really.. nothing because I'd already taken the car to a different garage..

They did say that they will chase up the matter in visiting the garage and inspecting, and that they would inform the garage a complaint has been made.

At least they replied my letter.. :)

Cheers

Lee

We knew that already. The query was whether another tester could just check the defect items instead of carrying out a full retest.

I still believe the answer is no they can't, they have to perform a full test, even if it's a retest.

If you read the MOT testers manual carefully,Section b,page 11, it tells you that if the car is presented for a retest within 10 working days, it is only the failure items that are checked,along with any component or system likely to have been affected by the repair. These items should be checked by AN NT. Nowhere does it say it must be the same tester,or a full test if its not. I've read and re-read the manual,and both phoned and E-mailed Vosa,and all say the same.

I'm trying to help here.... :crazy:

Thanks Tiff.
A few years ago my own car recieved a fail on one front balljoint. I duly replaced both and returned within a couple of days, to be told the examiner was on leave so the car would require another full test as only the original examiner is allowed to only check the failure items.

It seems strange that they would do that given it took the tester longer and for the same charge. This was an MOT only garage with several testers.

Incidentally the 2nd tester said he wouldn't have failed it as the joints couldn't come apart due to their design of being under compression as opposed to tension.
The wear was minimal.

Tiff, im not a tester here but I know its a policy that only the original tester does partial restests.
If that tester is off or on holiday then a full test has to be done.

If its within the 10 days free retest period, we bare the cost of the test out of gratuity. However if the tester finds other items wrong, he will fail them.

If it was a Mercedes,I have seen this often. Many testers check the balljoints wrongly,you need to jack the car up by the wishbones,and if the balljoint is worn,it is obvious when you lever under the tyre. If you jack up on the body,its very hard to see,and very often missed.
There is always a danger of differing standards between testers,and there really is no way around it-Vosa just say to follow the manual,but obviously there are many different ways to interpret what it says.

Can anyone really tell wheather the thickness of a metal brake pipe is reduced by 1/3 when it dissapears away above the fuel tank-we have to make a decision,based on experience,and sometimes you can be wrong....

Tiff, im not a tester here but I know its a policy that only the original tester does partial restests.
If that tester is off or on holiday then a full test has to be done.

If its within the 10 days free retest period, we bare the cost of the test out of gratuity. However if the tester finds other items wrong, he will fail them.

OK, fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I did 2 partial retests today,from another tester.If it wasn't allowed,I reckon the computer system wouldn't let you do it.
If you are right,then I and many others in many MOT stations have been breaking the rules for many years, If I'm right,you are costing yourself workshop time and man hours.

Mot Saving?

Amid all the furore about the current financial problems there was this little nugget on the money saving site - it may not be gold but might save a bit of money in these troubled times. using local council MOT TEST stations - they don't repair cars- so no vested interest in "finding" faults.:rolleyes: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot#full
they also mention this commercial unit:- http://www.motmax.co.uk/l] who offer an online reminder service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom