Complete Command Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjbarnard

2007 W211 saloon (E320 CDI Sport).

About a month ago the Command unit failed. I was listening to the radio (ironically on the forecourt of MB dealer, waiting for them to open) and it just stopped. After that powering on the Command would bring up the MB logo, but absolutely nothing after that. Radio, CD, Sat Nav, Telephone - nothing worked just a blank screen.

MB looked at it, but their engineer told me he was stumped. He upgraded the software, but said he actually had no idea even what the problem was. He only had an hour to look at it, as it was in for something else unrelated and I needed to take it away, and he asked me to rebook it for a detailed investigation.

Over Christmas etc, didnt get round to booking it in, particularly as some searches on here indicated a complete failure might need a replacement costing several k! It is recently out of warranty.

This evening, it just started working again when I started the car. All functions work as normal. Switched the ignition on and off several times to check.

Lucky perhaps, but strange? Any comments or suggestions in case it recurs?

If Comand turned shortly on and showed the MB logo momentarily (or froze there), it could be a MOST ring issue. A poorly attached connector or a failed control unit in the MOST ring could cause it (AGW, phone control unit etc. Sometimes pulling a fuse from the misbehaving unit would help).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom