Complete Noobie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjbnet

Hi, I am just about to have my first Mercedes (a 2004 C200 Komp Avantgarde). When I test drove it I noticed it had controls for a mobile phone but not the cradle or panel for one.

What would I need to get my car upgraded to use the built in controls i.e a new center console or new car? I would like to use bluetooth if possible as I often change my phone.

Is it worth just investigating a nokia car kit even though I would like to use the cars controls (as they are there!).

Thanks for any advice

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If your car has phone pre-wired, the connection for it should be in the arm rest consul.

It should either have a cradle in there if previous owner had a phone in it.
Or you will see a small plastic cover that pulls off and a cradle can be attached to it.

Regards,

Alex.

If your car has phone pre-wired, the connection for it should be in the arm rest consul.

It should either have a cradle in there if previous owner had a phone in it.
Or you will see a small plastic cover that pulls off and a cradle can be attached to it.

Thanks I only had it for 3/4 of an hour before buying it and havent seen it since (bit of work being done to it) but I dont believe it has the cradle for a phone as I couldnt find it in the center console. It does however have the controls on the dash and steering column, which is why I wondered if I can add the rest to make it work.

Most of them have the controls on the steering and Audio.
To be able to use the controls your car has to have phone pre-wired to it and not all of them have it.

Yes it can be added but is quiet expensive, hence the reason most people will install an after market Bluetooth like the Parrot or Nokia.

Regards,

Alex.

If you are buying the new shape W204 C class then it comes with bluetooth built in.

If you are buying the new shape W204 C class then it comes with bluetooth built in.

That would be a good solution, might be even more expensive than the MB OEM kit retrofit :)

The new C-Class Saloon is the first Mercedes-Benz to receive Bluetooth voice connectivity as standard. Even while you are on the road, you can remain fully contactable.

This uncomplicated system allows quick connection to most Bluetooth compatible handsets. Any incoming calls can be accepted at the touch of a button for safe and clear calls over the vehicle’s speaker system. You can also make calls using the call list, keypad, previously stored business cards, or by entering the required number on the headunit.

With the addition of optional telephone pre-wiring and an accessory cradle you’ll enjoy even further convenience. Whilst in its cradle your mobile phone will be charged, you’ll be able to make and receive calls, and access the sim telephone address book automatically to make calls using the central controller dial, multi-function steering wheel or Linguatronic voice control (where fitted).

Talen from the MB website

Hi, I am just about to have my first Mercedes (a 2004 C200 Komp Avantgarde). When I test drove it I noticed it had controls for a mobile phone but not the cradle or panel for one.

What would I need to get my car upgraded to use the built in controls i.e a new center console or new car? I would like to use bluetooth if possible as I often change my phone.

Is it worth just investigating a nokia car kit even though I would like to use the cars controls (as they are there!).

Thanks for any advice

Hi, as you have got a w203 not a w204 and you say it doesn't have a cradle or panel then lets assume it hasn't got phone prep.

There are lots of ways around this:

1. Add the MB phone wiring, which will fully integrate and enable steering wheel button use- cost £1k plus
2. There is a new kit which will wire in bluetooth-talk to Alfie. I believe its about £499
3.I installed a parrot kit 3100 which is voice activated and mutes the audio- I think it is excellent -£200 ish
HTH

EDIT: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9495 Post 11 shows the installation in the ash tray

Last edited:
The new C-Class Saloon is the first Mercedes-Benz to receive Bluetooth voice connectivity as standard. Even while you are on the road, you can remain fully contactable.

This uncomplicated system allows quick connection to most Bluetooth compatible handsets. Any incoming calls can be accepted at the touch of a button for safe and clear calls over the vehicle’s speaker system. You can also make calls using the call list, keypad, previously stored business cards, or by entering the required number on the headunit.

With the addition of optional telephone pre-wiring and an accessory cradle you’ll enjoy even further convenience. Whilst in its cradle your mobile phone will be charged, you’ll be able to make and receive calls, and access the sim telephone address book automatically to make calls using the central controller dial, multi-function steering wheel or Linguatronic voice control (where fitted).

Talen from the MB website

I think Diesel Benz was trying to point out that the original poster is buying a 2004 C Class, and hence an upgrade to a new W204 was expensive.:D

Thanks for the info on the W204 though, very useful to know that Bluetooth is fitted as standard.

many thanks to all for your help. It looks like I will have to look into the Parrot solution as it seems to be the most usuable.

many thanks to all for your help. It looks like I will have to look into the Parrot solution as it seems to be the most usuable.

Out of interest, does the parrot integrate with the cluster display and stereo to dial calls or does it just allow the steering controls to make & hang up calls?

Out of interest, does the parrot integrate with the cluster display and stereo to dial calls or does it just allow the steering controls to make & hang up calls?

It doesnt integrate with cluster or stereo display.
However you can get a cable from connects2 that will allow you to use the steering wheel controls to make and recieve calls.

Alex.

Where abouts are you based as I have a guy who has done three cars for me over the last few years and done a very good job on each one! Very competitive pricing and very friendly

He his based in the midlands though around the Birmingham area (I think). But I live 20 miles north of Birmingham and he has been to me!

Let me know and I will provide his number.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom