Composite decking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We didn’t use the Trex range for ours, it was the “spiced rum” that caught my eye...

just ensure that the base supports all the ends and any smaller pieces, try to make the base so that the boards will cover the support beams too. Just lessons learned from doing ours.
Thankfully, I am well versed in deck building and that is indeed a top tip because small bits cannot float in mid-air !!

Don’t pay too much heed to sample colours. When I had our composite decking done a few months ago the boards that arrived were quite a bit different to the sample, but fortunately still look great.

Well, the deed is done and the decking ordered with the local supplier.

in the end we settled on Newtechwood Ultrashield Naturale in their Antique finish.

Possible 10-14 week lead time for the boards but we’ve taken this long so far ....

Plenty time to get a new carbide blade for my saw and all the wee bits and bobs that I will need.

Holy thread resurrection !!!

Looks like I will get my decking in the next week or so.

I’ll update the thread with photos once I get round to making a complete horlicks of the job 🙃

Wait until I get in touch with you about replacing the conservatory roof !!
2024 then? 😁

Reactions: LTD
I finally got my deck finished.

image_5743.jpg

Ignore the squint spindles this photo was before the final fitting.

Didn't use engine oil mix on the boards, just used decking oil, 5 gallon!

Sealed the balustrade with a mix of spirit, wax and linseed oil.

Will never paint wood again. 😀

Delivery slot booked for the 24th !!

Happy days !!

It’s arrived !!

now the fun and games begin

AF60336E-74B1-4A5C-80EC-5E1520DB199E.jpeg
Making some progress in between that thing called work !!!

Now trying to think of an elegant solution to incorporate the parasol below the deckboards. You can see it sitting on the right hand side of the ‘before’ picture but I don’t want it all sitting on the deck - I don’t mind having it below with a suitable hole for the pillar.

Any ideas ?

How about
concreting in a plastic sleeve Steven?

Or do it @ChrisEdu style and use expanding foam? 🤪

Only downside is you’ll not be able to change the position and you’ll lose the height by the amount of pole underground.

How about

Only downside is you’ll not be able to change the position and you’ll lose the height by the amount of pole underground.
The sleeve is a great idea - expanding foam not so great :)

No problem with the position as I’ll work out the ideal before committing- height won’t be a problem as I could bring a sleeve through the deck to a similar height as the original - as long as the ID is the same. Mrs. LTD is only 5ft so I doubt overall height will be an issue !!!

Was thinking about using the plastic grids used for gravel drives under the timber, levelling and filling with gravel than sitting the existing base on top, bringing the post through the boards

How about

Oi, they're still standing strong!😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom