Composite decking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Good people of the forum

We are giving serious consideration to replacing our existing decking with composite deckboards.

A caveat is that we replace them like-for-like height wise as we would like to use the existing joists and not rip everything apart for the sake of a few mm.

Our existing boards are 28mm timber.

Does anyone know of, or can supply, 28mm composite boards ???

25mm standard thickness (hollow board) or 24mm (solid board). It’s AWESOME stuff steve. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Only downside is the cost. It ain’t cheap.

I get mine from Eurocell with trade discount. PM me if you there’s one near you and you can use my account. (Obviously may need to wait until lockdown is lifted).

Last edited by a moderator:
Eurocell closed for at least another two weeks. Ordered some composite fencing from them , due for delivery the day after they shut down. Wouldn`t have been an issue except I had already torn down the existing fence! Just been putting the framework down for composite decking today and will hopefully get the decking down tomorrow . Bought the decking from Ebay , 25 mm hollow . Very pleased with it , went to order some more yesterday but they are out of stock . Had a good search through the net and Dino Decking have very keen prices. Waiting to hear back on availability as most of the decking suppliers either don`t have stock or cannot ship. Easy stuff to work with , have cut it with both a hand saw and chop saw.

I’ve only ever used the solid board. More expensive but I have concerns about the hollow board in hot weather, especially the darker colours and spanning 600mm joist centres.

I know there are cheaper suppliers online but I really do rate Eurocell’s products. GAP Are cheaper but their plastics fade much quicker after a few years of sunshine.

25mm standard thickness (hollow board) or 24mm (solid board). It’s AWESOME stuff steve. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Only downside is the cost. It ain’t cheap.

I get mine from Eurocell with trade discount. PM me if you there’s one near you and you can use my account. (Obviously may need to wait until lockdown is lifted).
Do you order yours online or at the store? Loads of complaints on Trustpilot from people that have accounts but found they are paying more than online customers. I called into our local branch to price up the fence and was quoted £1900 . Told him he would have to do better but he could not give a discount without speaking to an area manager . Said fine , I can wait. Three days later he phoned me and offered £300 off. Luckily, he said , " I will get it in from head office on Tuesday , give you a call and sort out payment and delivery". Glad I had not paid up front , but I am a bit put off but the number of bad reviews they have received ( 48 reviews less than 3 star rating).

I’ve only ever used the solid board. More expensive but I have concerns about the hollow board in hot weather, especially the darker colours and spanning 600mm joist centres.

I know there are cheaper suppliers online but I really do rate Eurocell’s products. GAP Are cheaper but their plastics fade much quicker after a few years of sunshine.
Ouch , had thought hollow was adequate. However I have used 400mm centres as recommended by the supplier.

Do you order yours online or at the store? Loads of complaints on Trustpilot from people that have accounts but found they are paying more than online customers. I called into our local branch to price up the fence and was quoted £1900 . Told him he would have to do better but he could not give a discount without speaking to an area manager . Said fine , I can wait. Three days later he phoned me and offered £300 off. Luckily, he said , " I will get it in from head office on Tuesday , give you a call and sort out payment and delivery". Glad I had not paid up front , but I am a bit put off but the number of bad reviews they have received ( 48 reviews less than 3 star rating).

I’ve been a trade account holder for over 15 years and spend quite a few quid per month with them. I use Dumfries and Carlisle branch. Both of them are very good with same or next day deliveries. Great company to deal with. But your post has got me thinking. I’ll certainly check online prices the next time I make an order. Thanks for the heads up. As we know, loyalty isn’t always rewarded. I’ll keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave
That looks great. What is the name of the company that supplied you as 3m boards would be ideal ?

Has anybody any experience of a company called Millboard ?

Good people of the forum

We are giving serious consideration to replacing our existing decking with composite deckboards.

A caveat is that we replace them like-for-like height wise as we would like to use the existing joists and not rip everything apart for the sake of a few mm.

Our existing boards are 28mm timber.

Does anyone know of, or can supply, 28mm composite boards ???
I was discussingthe same thing with my wife just the other day. We have circa 70 m2 of decking, so it would be pretty costly I suspect.

Just received a sample pack from Millboard.

Wow - now this is a quality product.

Now to source other samples once the companies re-open

Sorry LTD , I should have replied before,
The company was named Timbertech here 's a link to their website

David

Reactions: LTD
Well, little update from LTD in Lockdown :)

Received samples from the following companies

Millboard
Trex
TimberTech

All I can say is that there are very different methods employed in the construction of boards from these companies.

Some of the finishes look better than others and we are starting to hone in on the colour choice we favour.

Once things start to open up, I intend to look at Eurocell and also visit a few builders merchants to see what they offer and also some static displays as the samples don’t always reveal the big picture.

Will certainly tread carefully - this stuff is not cheap !!!

Well, little update from LTD in Lockdown :)

Received samples from the following companies

Millboard
Trex
TimberTech

All I can say is that there are very different methods employed in the construction of boards from these companies.

Some of the finishes look better than others and we are starting to hone in on the colour choice we favour.

Once things start to open up, I intend to look at Eurocell and also visit a few builders merchants to see what they offer and also some static displays as the samples don’t always reveal the big picture.

Will certainly tread carefully - this stuff is not cheap !!!

All Eurocell branches Re-opened on 20th May Steven. Fill ya boots my man.

I’ve heard that decking with an outer protective plastic shell is better at resisting fading. Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom