Compressing MP4 movie files (how do I?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

camerafodder

MB Enthusiast
Car
VW Touareg R-line Tech, Toyota IQ2
To avoid a 600 mile round trip to a meeting I've made a 5 minute video demo of some technology I'm developing. The file is nearly 600MB and I would like to compress it to send it to a hosting site or via email. Can anyone recommend any free compression software for this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure on the compression - but you could also upload the video to Youtube and set it to not-public, so it can only be viewed if you have the direct link and then give it to the other party.

MP4 *is* compressed. AFAIK you can only make it smaller by reducing the quality (bitrate, frame size, etc.) - basically open it in a video editor, change the settings, and save a new version.

As BTB says, the file is already compressed and sending 600MB by email is pretty much a non-starter. A better solution would be to host it via FTP if you have the technology, or alternatively use something like skydrive which will give you 5GB of file space for free..

Cheers,

Gaz

MP4 *is* compressed. AFAIK you can only make it smaller by reducing the quality (bitrate, frame size, etc.)

Exactly. If you compress it as a Zip file it'll probably get bigger.

Nick Froome

Can you reduce the resolution of the file ?

Seems a large file for a 5 minute clip.

I would try uploading it to Youtube you can upload up in HD and then just email the link.

Youtube will take such big file sizes no problem

It will take a while (depending on your broadband speed) as your upload speed is (almost) always lots slower than your download speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom