Computer diagnostic equipment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dtr

Car
Seat Toledo III 1.9TDI
I wanted to get some affordable diagnostic equipment to check my car, my dad's car, and help me with the search and purchase of a new (used) car.

It need not be new, as long as it supports 5-6+ year old cars, including VW, Skoda, Toyota, Merc, perhaps Ford.

Used is fine.

Thanks in advance.

I wanted to get some affordable diagnostic equipment to check my car, my dad's car, and help me with the search and purchase of a new (used) car.

It need not be new, as long as it supports 5-6+ year old cars, including VW, Skoda, Toyota, Merc, perhaps Ford.

Used is fine.

Thanks in advance.

What is it you wish to check?

All cars from around 2000 have diagnostic ports called OBDII, there are many hand held scanners available or others that you operate via a PC that can carry out some diagnostic checks, read and re-set fault codes etc but for more detailed investigations you often need manufacturer specific software such as STAR for MB and TechII for Saab and other GM vehicles.

Well firstly I'd like to check if the cars I am going to buy have any significant faults. I simply can't afford to buy lemon this time round. Secondly, I would want one to keep my and my dad's car in reasonable condition and be able to detect faults early on. Being able to erase error codes can usually mean better performance and fuel economy. That's about it.

Well firstly I'd like to check if the cars I am going to buy have any significant faults. I simply can't afford to buy lemon this time round. Secondly, I would want one to keep my and my dad's car in reasonable condition and be able to detect faults early on. Being able to erase error codes can usually mean better performance and fuel economy. That's about it.

if in doubt then get a pre purchase check from a garage you trust or the AA or RAC although I have heard mixed reports about these.

Erasing error codes is no guarantee of improving performance nor economy. Error codes are generally produced for a reason and unless the problem is solved then merely re-setting the codes is pointless. Also there are far more things on a second hand car that may require repair that will not show on a code reader such as suspension, faults, brake issues etc.

Try Autel MaxiDiag, though you will need two different units i.e. EU702 and FR704 to cover that range of cars. The good thing about the MaxiDiag is that it also covered model-specific ECUs such as airbag/SRS and ABS/ESP, and not just the engine and transmission.

Autel

Autel

It also does live data, though that may be less relevant in your case?

Used is fine.

Thanks in advance.
hi, do you want to just check out the code. The car after 1996 models has many obd2 scanner to diagnose the code, as I know you want the tool can diagnose many cars, including VW Skoda, you can use the vag401, if you want the professional tool for merc, you can use the star c3. :bannana:

I bought a ELM327 and have used it to clear some simple codes on both my CLK and my fathers Corolla.

It's not clever enough to help with economy etc but basic stuff is good. It only cost about £12 so good value.

There is a really good APP for smart phones that only needs an OBD2 bluetooth adaptor although get a good one not a cheap ebay one. The app is only a couple of quid and can clear fault codes, give fault codes, give live data to your phone about loads of things such car performance, sensor data etc...

Can use GPS to create Tracker logs

Works on most cars after 2000 but works as late as 1996 cars(according to there app info), but for £2.95 theres not much too lose!

If you have an Android phone search 'Torque Pro' or obd2

There is a really good APP for smart phones that only needs an OBD2 bluetooth adaptor although get a good one not a cheap ebay one. The app is only a couple of quid and can clear fault codes, give fault codes, give live data to your phone about loads of things such car performance, sensor data etc...

Can use GPS to create Tracker logs

Works on most cars after 2000 but works as late as 1996 cars(according to there app info), but for £2.95 theres not much too lose!

If you have an Android phone search 'Torque Pro' or obd2

Excellent. Downloading now. It will be much easier than lugging a laptop to all these cars.

What's the difference between ebay and other adaptors?

Excellent. Downloading now. It will be much easier than lugging a laptop to all these cars.

What's the difference between ebay and other adaptors?

I assume the difference is just the build quality and compatiblity but I have no idea I was just quoting what it says in the app info :eek:

I guess amazon might be a better bet for one incase the reader/adapter does need returning for what ever reason. I'd probably go for a mid ranged priced one. Can only suggest googling 'obd2 bluetooth adapter' and having a browse at what comes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom