Concorde on the Thames?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Heard it on the radio today. Think it is a great idea, hope it happens too.

Wow... what a great idea. So good old BA are not entirely useless these days!

No they cant move it from where it is, I go past it everyday to and from work :( Oh well I can always take a detour and look at the second one :D

A concorde has already been on the Thames.

It was loaded onto a barge at Isleworth , and taken downstream .... it was an incredible sight.

Those of you who know the area , and the streets around the London Apprentice will realise what an undertaking this was.

Concorde

Well, its fuselage has. It'd be magnificent to have the full aircraft on permanent display, though.

I wonder if they will actually let visitors climb on board and into the cockpit though? Can see some some issues with getting crowds in and out of the rather cramped space...

They do at Brooklands don't they ?

They do at Brooklands don't they ?

I don't know for sure - but if the Thames Concorde visitors will be anything like the long queues for the London Eye, then it is a completely different situation to Brooklands...

Great for London and BA if it goes ahead. I have seen the pre-production Concorde at Duxford and was amazed how small it was inside.

The Sinsheim museum in Germany has a Concorde on the roof that's open to the public, also a TU-144 ('Concordski'). We were there earlier this year - they really sway about when the wind blows!

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

Nice pics Bill. Thanks. :thumb:

Must be a hell-of-a lift under those wings if the wind is in the right direction.

It was a windy (and rainy!) day when we were there - Mrs BTB refused point blank to go up into either of the above aircraft because they were moving around so much! There's a fair old slope to the floor inside too ...

Actually the worst to go inside was this Canadair water bomber because it hangs out over the side of the roof!

IMG_1814.jpg

Amazing museum and well worth a visit - loads of cars there too.

It was a windy (and rainy!) day when we were there - Mrs BTB refused point blank to go up into either of the above aircraft because they were moving around so much! There's a fair old slope to the floor inside too ...

Actually the worst to go inside was this Canadair water bomber because it hangs out over the side of the roof!

IMG_1814.jpg

Amazing museum and well worth a visit - loads of cars there too.

We get the water bombers over here in the summer when there are large forest fires. The Greek government bought a load of them from the Canadian government a while ago.

When you see ten of them flying continuously for hours on end, picking up and dumping water, it really is a sight to behold.

I think the concorde thing is a wicked idea.

More power to those who want to move 'Alpha Bravo'. It's been languishing and deteriorating for WAY too long at Heathrow and should have been in a museum ages ago. I think it would add a lot to that area of the South Bank and serve to attract more visitors.

PS - Sinsheim is brill, too!

Found this pic. I took of a BA Concorde doing a quick recce back in 2003 ;)

concorde.jpg

Being 4-engined aircraft I'd hoped they would have been a bit lower ... I only had a compact camera with me :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom