Concrete set in a mixer - Removal ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
To the end of last year, I built a garage base. On the final mix of concrete, I got a phone call to attend an emergency, (death in the family) and forgot / did not care. 3 days later, the mix in the drum had set firm.

Half a drum full. Other than spending days chiseling it out, are there any other solutions, tips to remove it ?

Mythbusters took this problem on with a contrete mixer (the truck type). They solved the problem with a large amount of explosives. Problem was there wasn't much truck left.....

Hammer and cold chisel, club hammer to the outside of the drum......that's about it I'm afraid.

Sell it on ebay with one load free in drum,

Some muppet will buy it for good money.

Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid 37%) might be an option for dissolving cement.

I have never tried it, but I believe it is used in the building trade.

Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid 37%) might be an option for dissolving cement.

It's called Brick acid but if unavailable locally use vinegar, it's a bit less aggressive but works.
Aluminium cleaner (available from trade outlets, as used for car wheels) is usually suitable acid and works.

Break the bulk of the concrete up and empty it out then pour in some water and a number of bricks or rocks and run the mixer.

Add acid for the finishing touch.

Last edited:
See how much a new drum is?

Will

High pressure water (Hydro demolition) there are mobile units that will do it but its not cheap

To the end of last year, I built a garage base. On the final mix of concrete, I got a phone call to attend an emergency, (death in the family) and forgot / did not care. 3 days later, the mix in the drum had set firm.

Half a drum full. Other than spending days chiseling it out, are there any other solutions, tips to remove it ?

One possible solution is to either subject the drum to excess heat and cold,or rather cold then rapid heating.The differential in contraction between concrete and steel,might result in the material cracking away,even in a lump.Try wetting the concrete and putting outside to freeze in the cold weather,then bring it in and put a hair dryer,hot air gun on the drum,a bit like how people remove dents - anyone want to add anything to this theory ?

One possible solution is to either subject the drum to excess heat and cold,or rather cold then rapid heating.The differential in contraction between concrete and steel,might result in the material cracking away,even in a lump.Try wetting the concrete and putting outside to freeze in the cold weather,then bring it in and put a hair dryer,hot air gun on the drum,a bit like how people remove dents - anyone want to add anything to this theory ?

Yes - don't waste your time!

The Chinese have a saying
In the battle between pebble and water, water will win in the end.:crazy:
Very patient people the Chinese.
Dig a big hole and bury it.:rolleyes:

Here are your options.

1. If it is a gauge of concrete...forget it and buy a new drum if you have a belle mixer.

2. If it is a light gauge of cement...smack the drum with a sledgehammer or a scaffold tube. It may fall out, but I doubt it.

Kango900S.jpg

Hire one of these, it should do the trick along with a large hammer.

Ade

Its very noisy - but apparently this works.

Put 3 or 4 engineering grade bricks in the mixer, turn it on and leave for an hour or so.
This only works if the concrete is fairly new and hasnt fully hardened - for example a few months old.

Prior to having a go with hammer & chisel, I would try putting a good number of drill holes into the cement to enable it to break up more easily with the chisel. obviously go easy so as not to drill through drum...
When the majority is out you could then use the acids mentioned above to get the rest if necessary.

Take it from a pro - new drum.......

If it's a Belle Mixer - get a plastic drum.....they are the dogs doodahs as you can bray the hell out of them with a club hammer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom