Condensor (2nd hand + fitting cost) W208 CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi,

I've been told I've got a hole in my condensor, so it will need replacing.

This was spotted when putting the gas in with a dye. Apparently the car wouldn't hold even an ounce of gas, it just started coming out of the condensor.

Thing I wanted to know, is there anything else that is likely to have gone?
Not sure how long the hole has been in the condensor. Would the dye show leaks elsewhere, or because the gas came out of the condensor would the gas not have had the chance to show leaks elsewhere?

I don't want to buy a new part, instead second had, and hopefully with some warranty. Just wondering what cost I should be looking at for this second hand, as well as fitting cost?

If anyone feels like quoting, I'm in N.London.

Cheers
R

Last edited:
No point in fitting a secondhand condensor unless it's virtually new, they are pretty much a consumable part these days. You can buy decent aftermarket ones for not a lot of cash anyway - I think I fitted a Hella replacement on one my W202s when I had that.

You should replace the receiver/drier unit as well - they're only about £30 and absorb moisture, so if you have had a leak it should be renewed.

You're probably looking at a couple of hundred for the condensor and drier, and a similar amount for fitting/regassing. Maybe £300ish all in if you shop around.

If you're handy with the spanners, you could always fit the parts yourself and then just get the system pressure tested and gassed. I did mine in a couple of hours one afternoon :)

Will

As Will says, don't fit secondhand condensers. You are wasting your time and money.

You can get a non original one for anything between 80 - 150 and there is an outfit that gives you 18months guarantee on them as well -
http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/

Arron radiators also do non original.(http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/)

The drier can be picked up from Euros for abou £20.

Last edited:
Got mine from Aaron was £80 iirc.

Unless you have access to a/c machine i wouldnt fit second hand.

Lynall

I was thinking of fitting it...I've fitted a radiator on a Peugeot 405 many moons ago...think i'd be up to it?

Thing is I had I haynes manual, i can't find one for this car.

Anyone got a guide?

Look on the yank sites either benzworld or mb world iirc it was in the w210 section but will be much the same, they are not bad to do i did mine on the driveway at home.

Be carfeul of the two alloy fittings as the pipe and the nuts are both alloy so dont just undo the nut you must use two spanners and hold the fixed nut condenser side and undo the fitting.

Like most mb things it look worse than what it is.

Then see quickfit i tkink they do regas for £45.

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom