Confession time....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saorbust

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI
So I've been looking at another brand of cars. There I said it.

Recently I've been getting a little fed up with the high prices of the Mercs, the dealerships and so forth. Its been a rocky relationship, but usually the love for the cars has won through.

Until now.

I note now I can get a 2nd hand 1yr old 10,000 mile BMW M3 for about £30-35k (dealer). Thats a shed load of car, for a reasonable sum of money. I could also get a 10,000 mile M6 (list over £80k) for about £60k. Failing that, the new 3 series coupe looks v v nice. And that 335 engine - oh yes.

Both Coupe's by the way.

I've also been looking at the Civic Type R. Yeah weird I know, but flip it looks so different and I know what that engine is like.

With MB - the CLS is still lovely, but I'd like the AMG version. Same with the CLK - although in a Cab.

So fellow MB Owners - please tell me why I'm mad.....or I may just defect.

Last edited:
out of that entire list .. the one to go for is the CLS AMG

M3 .. a bit yesterday's news and they are common.

M6 .. depreciation is and will continue to be horrendous, plus the rear windows don't open

new 3 series coupe .. lovely, but again, rear windows don't open .. and not a V8!

C240Sport97 said:
out of that entire list .. the one to go for is the CLS AMG

M3 .. a bit yesterday's news and they are common.

M6 .. depreciation is and will continue to be horrendous, plus the rear windows don't open

new 3 series coupe .. lovely, but again, rear windows don't open .. and not a V8!

You don't see many CLS's about let alone the AMG version which is nigh unique on our roads. Go for it mate and stand out in the crowd.:bannana: :rock:

The 335 has caused waves on a US AMG forum I visit. It really is that fast it seems, and supposedly on a par with the current generation M3 in outright pace, but even quicker in the real world because of the torque spread.

Heaven knows what the next generation V8 M3 will be like - seems likely that the current generation I6 M3 will take an extra big wallop in terms of depreciation, as BMW have effectively given current owners two routes to upgrade - I6 turbo 335 and V8 M3!!

I do love the C32, but... I too have found myself looking at non-MB manufacturer websites in the last week or two. R-Class has taken my eye given the super-low cheap deals available, but also looking at BMW 335 and Volkswagen Phaeton W12 - both subtle with ample power!! ;)

Considering Porsche Cayenne S (V8) too, not quite so subtle though!!

So I can't really tell you why you're mad, but what I would say is enjoy looking and leap if you spot the right opportunity!! ;)

I came from an E46 M3 to my MB and believe me, there are a hell of a lot of them about! Also, new M3 is due either late 2007 or early 2008 which will both hit residuals and make the car 'feel less special'. Also, they're starting to look a little bit 'boy racer chav', espcially as you can pick older ones up for the mid-to-late teens.

M6... I thought about that before buying my SL. Then I realised that for a similar amount of money an SL55 gives you a) a folding metal roof, b) more power, c) a folding metal roof, d) better reliability e) a folding metal roof, f) a more gadgets, g) a folding metal roof, h) a better soundtrack, i) a folding metal roof, j) a better looking car, k) a folding metal roof and l) better mpg. M6....? Apparently the SMG3 is not as good as SMG2, the V10 absolutely drinks petrol (even more than the SL's V8) and there are some relaibility issues with the mechanicals. And to top it all, while they're beautiful from the front, they look like a bus from the back. Could you live with that boot?

New 3 series... looks good from initial glances and the 335 is getting rave reviews. The new M3 is apparently going to be a V8.

If I had to choose between those that you've listed, I think I'd probably go for the CLS AMG. It's a beautiful car and doesn't look like something that'll be hooning around Essex in five years time. It doesn't have the sports look that the SL or M6 have though.

If you can live with only two seats, then for your price range, I think you can't go far wrong with an SL, otherwise the CLS.

Jon

I was looking at E46 M3s as well as my W210 is old as hell now and my lack of regular driving for several years reduced the impulse to change.

SOme things I've learned in the past few weeks on many forums:

1. It's at the peak almost of it's power output, so modifications like turbocharging it are doable but only with lots of cash and time.

2. The 335 is a twin turbo 3.0 litre, and has apparently a phenomenal engine BUT although 0-60 times and such can look like an M3, you have to remember the M is much more modified with suspension, shocks, etc., clutch and so on as it's for racing really. In a straight line they may be similar but at a track it would be a totally different story, and the E46 M3 would trounce an E92 335.

- but, there will likely be a large aftermarket tuning market on the new E92s

3. The new M3 will be launched in September in Paris next year from my reading, so they will be out on the roads in large numbers within 18 months. The E46, while a very capable and competent car, is starting to look dated as it's been around for 6 years now. If you want image, go for something newer. If you are less concerned with image, it is an excellent car, one of the best and most complete really.

4. Decide whether you will be bringing this new car to a track and want it to perform. I was shocked at my recent trip to the Ring and saw only one MB, a C36 AMG. By far an away, 911 Turbos, E46 M3s and Nissan 350Zs were far an away the most popular there, so that is saying something.

Depreciation will hit the E46 hard in 12 months. The new will be expensive (here anyway - the 335 base model is over €90000).

Personally I am quite taken with the 350Z GTS :eek: Good enough for the swiss to make the supercharger and the germans to make the suspension and bodykit, must be worth a look.

Running only a smidge behind the 911 GT3 RS, SLR at Hockenheim http://www.novidem.ch/SA_350Z.pdf

Pictures http://www.diariomotor.com/2006/07/03/nissan-350z-gts-concept/

I know what you mean (saorbust) about defecting elsewhere.

For about the last ten years I have wanted an E-class Merc - since a friend lent me a W124 E200 auto for a weekend, I'd sort of decided that one day I'd get one.

When the W210 came out I liked that too after getting a demo drive. When the W211 came out, I thought "possibly, once there's a few about secondhand".

Next May (07) I lose a company car entitlement (Audi A6) and at that point I'd more-or-less made up my mind to buy a used E class Merc. So my strategy was to get a late W210 or perhaps an early W211. Then I started reading up about them, and chatted with a friend in the trade, and I was horrified. After the legendary build quality of the W124, my aspirational E class took a massive dive in the build quality stakes, with rust being a major concern, as well as a whole host of other things like auto gearboxes falling apart. If anything the W211 seems worse than the W210.

So I'm still after that E-class, but I'm going into it with eyes wide open and expecting the worst of every car I see unless I can prove otherwise. If, when I start hunting, they all appear to be rusting hulks, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

It's a shame that M-B have taken their eye off the build-quality in these last few years - I know the (very recently) face-lifted W211 is supposed to be bomb-proof, but how the mighty are fallen.

I am currently working on a W210 E240 Estate. Looking under the bonnet is beautifull, nice V6 and reasonable access to bits. Looking at the bonnet, oh dear, rust rust and more rust. The same with the rest of the bodywork. Then I got under the car Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I have to replace all the brake, hydraulic and fuel pipes as they are that rusty. The rear diff............you can pick scabs of rust of it. Its like the rear end has been left in the sea for a month or six. Having said all that I DO like the power plant and the smooth way in which it performs.

Thanks all. Funny how no one mentioned the Civic.....

So basically its CLS or SL, or take a big risk with the M6 and depreciation.

Or perhaps an M3 V8.

Hmm. Decisions.

Or buy the Civic and my Z3M Coupe and have change left over for a holiday ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom