Confidence in my old W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
Travelled from Edinburgh to North Wales last weekend to pick up a set of alloys, bought off fleabay. Felt like i stole them for £127 as they had been refurbished with 4x1200 mile old Michelins. An 8 hour drive in total, covering almost 500 miles, stopping for only 15 minutes throughout the total journey and the car never skipped a beat once. Never thought I would have any problems, but I would have had second thoughts on doing the same journey in a 18 year old non Mercedes (She'll be 18 on Oct. 1st). She sat at about 85 on the M6 home and averaged about 28 M.P.G. Long live the 124's:)

They were described as 'a bit dusty and needed a bit of a clean' She gave me more info about the car they came off (CLK) and from the only picture she put on the advert, they looked quite good. When I saw them and looked beyond the dirt, I could see they were completely unmarked. When she asked (after money exchanged hands) if they were what I was expecting, she was quite taken back when I replied no. I explained that if she had spent 20 minutes cleaning them, with a better description and lots more photos, she could have doubled her money:doh:. The look on her face was an absolute picture

I did the trip the other way last weekend. Derby to Brora (stopped for breakfast with Chattonmill) plus a couple of other stops around Newcastle, 500 miles in 12 hours.

Spent the weekend chauffering the aged matriarch around and returned on the Monday, via M6, again 500 miles in 8hours 10 mins.

Total trip of 1135 miles but I forgot to work out the mpg lest it diminish the enjoyment of the weekend. Come August it'll be carrying us all off to the foreign once more.

Any doubts? Nah. Mind you mine is a new one in comparison, i.e. '92 model.:D

thats why i bought another one

for the £3,000 + plate i could have bought a 3 year old mondeo/vectra/horrible japanese thing

but class lasts for ever thankfully

Nice. And well done on the wheels. I feel sorry for the poor woman who sold them though!! Did you really have to rub it in:D:D

Not a 124, but i recently did a 900+ mile round trip to Le Mans and back in my 21 year ols 190E 2.3-16 and the was a dream to drive. Fully loaded up with all the camping gear which included a very heavy generator and fridge as well as all the other gubbins, including lots for other people who took there 2 seater cars. The boot and rear seats were full to the brim.

It made me realise just how good the SLS on these cars is!! Within about 30 seconds of me starting the car after loading it, the rear end rose up and sat perfectly level. It handled and went almost as if the weight wasn't there at all:cool: I got up to some good healthy speeds once on the French toll roads:D

And the full leather Recaros are the most supportive and relaxing seats i have ever sat in. I got back from the trip without any back or leg pains at all. And that's a first for me.

Fantastic.

I would absolutely love a derv W124 estate:cool: To be honest i have been thinking about getting rid of my 190E 2.6 for one.

thats why i bought another one

for the £3,000 + plate i could have bought a 3 year old mondeo/vectra/horrible japanese thing

but class lasts for ever thankfully

Thought it was to replace your broken GFP3 ;)

I've done +30K in 2.5 years, had the odd kerfuffle but generally its not bad for an aging motor.

Ade

Last edited:
Travelled from Edinburgh to North Wales last weekend to pick up a set of alloys, bought off fleabay. Felt like i stole them for £127 as they had been refurbished with 4x1200 mile old Michelins. An 8 hour drive in total, covering almost 500 miles, stopping for only 15 minutes throughout the total journey and the car never skipped a beat once. Never thought I would have any problems, but I would have had second thoughts on doing the same journey in a 18 year old non Mercedes (She'll be 18 on Oct. 1st). She sat at about 85 on the M6 home and averaged about 28 M.P.G. Long live the 124's:)

She'll be able to vote out labour next year.:D:D:D

No problems with my W124 and journeys either, 5 up plus luggage, essex to Somerset, then Devon twice, off to Darbyshire soon (only 3 passengers this time), and used to commute up and down the A13 into london.
Nearly 8000 miles in the first six months of ownership, and no worries at all.

Not a 124, but i recently did a 900+ mile round trip to Le Mans and back in my 21 year ols 190E 2.3-16 and the was a dream to drive...... I got up to some good healthy speeds once on the French toll roads:D

I would absolutely love a derv W124 estate:cool: To be honest i have been thinking about getting rid of my 190E 2.6 for one.

I took my E280T to Le Mans this year, and having sorted out an intermittent misfire caused by wrong plugs before I went, it drove like a dream. The seats are amazingly comfortable, which combined with the SLS make it a joy to drive. If you enjoy any kind of performance at all though, make sure you try a few petrol models before you commit to a diesel! They don't make for any kind of 'spirited' driving, but you'll at least be able to give the gendarmes a friendly wave when you see them!

Did a round trip from Alloa to Cardiff last week in my 13Y.O. C200.
Total distance of 830 miles. Set C.C. at 70 mph used, 106 Litres of fuel works out at approx 36MPG.

I went up to Edinburgh a month ago in my w124, one quick stop each way for 15-20mins, plus trips each day, clocking up 1100 miles in 4 days - spot on, couldn't think of another car that would have done it in as much comfort that I like driving as much. If I could afford another, i'd have one in a heartbeat...

I took my E280T to Le Mans this year, and having sorted out an intermittent misfire caused by wrong plugs before I went, it drove like a dream. The seats are amazingly comfortable, which combined with the SLS make it a joy to drive. If you enjoy any kind of performance at all though, make sure you try a few petrol models before you commit to a diesel! They don't make for any kind of 'spirited' driving, but you'll at least be able to give the gendarmes a friendly wave when you see them!

But im thinking along the lines of using the derv estate as being a green, waste oil burning vehicle, as a good friend of mine does And i have the 2.3-16 to have fun in so performance doesn't even enter the equation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom