Configuring Exchange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin clk

Car
CLK
Is anyone clued up on this?

I've a server that I need to have configured with a couple of new domains and my MX records.

It would be great to talk this through.

Cheers

I use exchange 2003 with 6 domains, what info are you after?

MX, do you have control of your zone files?

I have 2 x domains that I want to hook into the server. I have done nothing with my ISP so that I can point the mail to the server box.

I've managed to change the recipient policy in Exchange server management though but that's as far as I've got.

Would you mind talking it through with me, I'd gladly call you.

cheers
Martin

OK, first thing is to get your DNS sorted, I assume you already have some domains configured for delivery, so just contact your ISP and request a zone file change for domain your domian.com to have MX = your public IP address. Be carefull with the Recipient Policy as it can apply the new domain details to all of your users, this may be what you need but its not normally done unless your replacing your domain

its normally best to have the mx configured to a FQDN ie.

mail.yourdomain.com = yourpublicIP
MX = mail.yourdomain.com

Last edited:
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

I've changed the DNS to point mail to my IP address, I guess I'll also need to configure the router as well.

I've no other users to worry about with the recipients, this is an old server I had used for a business 3 years ago. It's been setup in the house for storage since. I'm setting up in business again as an independent and just want to have it sorted so I can use exchange and outlook again and get a blackberry or windows mobile wrking in conjunction.

Your help is appreciated !

What should I do now?

MK

now, just wait :) once the DNS has changed and resolved, it should work, you can test the email now by using telnet. from an external source, maybe home or somewhere, open a command window and type the following

telnet yourpublicIP 25
ehlo heaven.com
mail from:[email protected]
rcpt to:your new email account in full
data
"now this bit is your message"

"press ENTER then . then ENTER to send the email" "ie cr . cr"

Hi Mate

I've booked an IT call for Monday to come up and refresh the server and reconfigure the whole thing for me. Think that's probably wise. Only 135 quid.

Thanks for your help though !

Martin

why? you have done everything you need to do, once DNS is complete your mail will work

seriously???????

I was a bit lost with the telnet thing though.

Can we talk or is it not easy??

PM me your number, ill call you

Hmm, anyone know why I cant enable these? I dont even see the options

User CP

Then on the left go to User Options, scroll down and enable Private Messaging

Nice to be able to help you for a change !

HAHA, you wish. I dont have that in my Edit Options

Erm, I cant send any either, I wonder if you need a certain post count to send / receive PM's ?

Last edited:
User Cp
Settings & Options
Edit Avatar
Edit Signature
Edit Email & Password
Edit Options

No?, if not then PM your number and I'll call

Erm, I cant send any either, I wonder if you need a certain post count to send / receive PM's ?

Looks like someone has fixed my account, as I now have the correct options available to edit :) Send me a PM now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom