Confused about retrofitting Comand 2.0 in 98 w210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phant0maz

Car
w210 E300TD
Hello all ,this is my first post ,I have learned a lot from this forum about retrofitting comand ,but few things are not quite clear to me.

My car is 1998 w210. I am in process of installing MF steering wheel and the new style cluster.
Anyone can explain what are the differences between can bus and non can bus comand /which are the can bus features that the other non CB unit doesn't have/ ? I want to be able to control the comand by the steering wheel. If I get a canbus comand as I understand I have to use a can bus simulator. But what if I use non can bus comand , the MF wheel is going to work with it ?

Hello all ,this is my first post ,I have learned a lot from this forum about retrofitting comand ,but few things are not quite clear to me.

My car is 1998 w210. I am in process of installing MF steering wheel and the new style cluster.
Anyone can explain what are the differences between can bus and non can bus comand /which are the can bus features that the other non CB unit doesn't have/ ? I want to be able to control the comand by the steering wheel. If I get a canbus comand as I understand I have to use a can bus simulator. But what if I use non can bus comand , the MF wheel is going to work with it ?

If you are fitting a wheel and cluster that has CANBUS controls then you should fit a comand that supports Canbus. The two part numbers to look out for are;

A210 820 54 89 and A210 820 56 89

Do I still need to use canbus simulator ,or installing cluster and wheel will already generate a canbus signal to the comand?

Do I still need to use canbus simulator ,or installing cluster and wheel will already generate a canbus signal to the comand?

Ideally you need a canbus distributor to connect the canbus wires to.

Have a read of Richards excellent articles on www.mercupgrades.com

Canbus distributor = canbus simulator ,or a connector for taking signal from canbus wires of the car?

I've read "mercupgrades" comand instructions and others too but ...

I've been told the following from a guy who understands this stuff :

"you are best of with an older version of the 208/210 comand...that one can function in a car without MF steering wheel & instrument cluster and once you do install that MF steering wheel and cluster, you can easily reprogram the comand to make it work with that "

I can't understand what does the canbus do to the comand , and why are they are canbus and non canbus comands.
What is my gain if I use a newer version of comand 2.0 in my pre-facelifted benz ,and what if I use the older one ,as I've been advised.

Last edited:
I think I already found found the answers ,now the things are a little bit clearer. Thank you Alfie for subscribing!

I found cheap 48 89 comand .can anyone tell what the differences are netween it and 56 89 ,not counting the canbus signal. I read 48 89 can be controlled by mf buttons. Can it receive the last updates for the comand 2.0 as 56 89 can? Are the navi maps different between both models?

Canbus distributor = canbus simulator ,or a connector for taking signal from canbus wires of the car?

I've read "mercupgrades" comand instructions and others too but ...

I've been told the following from a guy who understands this stuff :

"you are best of with an older version of the 208/210 comand...that one can function in a car without MF steering wheel & instrument cluster and once you do install that MF steering wheel and cluster, you can easily reprogram the comand to make it work with that "

I can't understand what does the canbus do to the comand , and why are they are canbus and non canbus comands.
What is my gain if I use a newer version of comand 2.0 in my pre-facelifted benz ,and what if I use the older one ,as I've been advised.

First off the information from 'the guy who understands this stuff' isnt strictly true. Only a few of the Comand 2 units can be programmed to work with and without CANBUS. for instance the best unit to use in a non CANBUS car is the A163 unit. this cannot be coded to work with CANBUS. the best units for a W210 with CANBUS are the 54 89 and 56 89 as they came with all the latest firmware mods. Maps though are the same between the 48 89, 54 89 and 56 89 units.

The 48 89 unit should work with your CAN wheel and cluster.

First off the information from 'the guy who understands this stuff' isnt strictly true. Only a few of the Comand 2 units can be programmed to work with and without CANBUS. for instance the best unit to use in a non CANBUS car is the A163 unit. this cannot be coded to work with CANBUS. the best units for a W210 with CANBUS are the 54 89 and 56 89 as they came with all the latest firmware mods. Maps though are the same between the 48 89, 54 89 and 56 89 units.

sorry to hijack the thread but if anyone has either of the above units for sale im interested,and i have an A163 unit (non canbus) for sale or swap.

sorry to hijack the thread but if anyone has either of the above units for sale im interested,and i have an A163 unit (non canbus) for sale or swap.

So if it works what else should be reprogrammed ?

I've read this write-up with instructions the following:

"When a 48 89 comand is connected to a newstyle 210 with steering wheel controls, it functions perfectly with those steering wheel controls, so the unit is suiteable for receiving CANBUS signals (yes, the illumination and switching on/off functions properly then as well)..."

My car isn't the "new style" 210 but I tough that after purchasing a canbus simulator it will be already a new style equivalent. Wrong?!

You can PM me with your e-mail ,I'm not allowed to send PM as a young member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom