Confused at new law for child car seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Found this
Some estate cars have rear facing seats in the luggage compartment for use by children, and some 2 + 2 sports cars or convertibles have small rear seats. Child seats/boosters to the required UN ECE Regulation 44.03 type approval must be used on these seats. However, it may be that such seats are certified to UN ECE 44.03 type approval standards which means that they are in effect type-approved child seats/booster seats themselves and therefore a separate child seat/booster would not be needed. If a seat complies with the type-approval standard, it will have an "E" label, with "44.03" or ".03" and the weight range of the child for which it is designed. You may need to check with the car handbook, or the vehicle manufacturer, whether the seat is so approved.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm#13

So now I just have to find out whether the rear child seats on my 9 year old R129 are certified to UN ECE 44.03 or not.

Thanks, Bill. That helps answer my question on the rear-facing seats in my E320. Just need to find the label on the seats/read the handbook, now.

I emailed M-B customer services this morning and got the following reply
Mercedes-Benz Model: SL-Class

Thank you for contacting the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center.

Regrettably your vehicle does not currently comply with the new legislation and a booster seat would be required.

Should you have any further requirements, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
I have replied asking them to confirm that a booster seat is safe (and legal) when there is only a lap belt, because this sounds pretty bizarre to me. The seats are specifically referred to in the handbook as child seats, and the lap belt already seems to sit in a good position on our kids. Not sure what adding a booster would achieve (apart from putting their heads closer to the roll bar ;)).

More
Q: Can I use my booster seat with a lap belt?

A: Booster seats and cushions are usually designed to work with a three point belt and require the diagonal strap to safely restrain an occupant, although there are some which are crash tested and pass the ECE R44 using just a lap belt.

You should check the instructions for the booster seat to see if it can be used with just a lap belt. If the booster seat or cushion is designed for use with a three point belt only, then you should NOT use it with a lap belt.

It is worth contacting some child car seat manufacturers or retailers to find the correct child seat which will work with the lap belt. Your local road safety department may also be able to recommend some good retailers in your area.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/fromseptember06faq.htm#lap

:D - I have no children so no worries there for me...:D :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom