Confused... C63 (W205) Optional Extra's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MetzC63

Car
C63 AMG Perf Pack
Hi,
I have been looking at a few W205 C63 / C63S mainly from around 2015-2017.
I noticed some have the exhaust button in the centre console and some don't.

Do that make much of a difference to the car's sound?

Also what other options are a must aside from Premium Plus?
Is the 'S' really worth the extra money?
Does the eDiff and dynamic mounts make much difference on public roads?

Thanks!

Performance exhaust definitely makes a difference, even more so when in S+ mode.
For me personally, the 360 camera would be a must.

Is the S model worth the extra, I'm not so sure it is, but others will probably disagree.
It'll be a bit quicker, but you can always get t remapped if you feel the need, but lets be honest, the non S is already a quick car.

Hi,

Thanks!
I personally don't like the dynamic mounts for the road as I feel is too stiff! (in race mode).

I always have the suspension in Comfort.
I mainly have the car in Individual (engine sport+, comfort suspension, and sport handling)

The extra bits on the "S" is always nice to have! But if you plan to get a remap both engines make the same power

The exhuast button opens the valves which is good for comfort mode as you don't need to be cruising around sport or sport+ for that low speeds V8 rumble. Mine doesn't have that so I fitted a valve simulator that keeps the valves open all the time and doesn't have any drone noise or anything (how the car should have left Mercedes from factory!)

390mm brakes on S vs 360mm on non-S.

Perhaps the main deciding factor for you is which seats you prefer, comfort in the non-S vs performance seats in the S.

Hi,

Thanks!
To answer your questions in the order you asked them:

YES - the noise with the switchable exhaust activated is how nature intended the C63 to sound - in Sport+ particularly as others have said, the car sounds angry and unruly and makes a statement (which is what I wanted).

Other options - Distronic adaptive cruise control and the 360 camera, although mine doesn't have either of those

YES - In my opinion if you're buying one of these then the 'S' makes all the difference. I was b*ggered if I was going to spend what I did on a car and not have the best version I could afford!

YES - Again in my opinion the suspension and diff on the S make a difference, although how much is subjective I suppose. For example, others have said that the suspension in S+ mode is too stiff for public roads, I would disagree and in fact S+ is my preferred mode when wanting to make rapid progress. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't want to be in that mode on a pot holed old B road, but on well maintained A's and B's (and of course motorways) the car is amazingly well setup.

Full disclosure here, I might be biased, I own a 2017 C63S :) I considered a non-S but after trying to find one with the switchable exhaust (like hens teeth) I decided to bite the bullet and fork out the extra for the S (which increased my the chances of finding a suitable car with the right options considerably).

I would say the switchable exhaust is essential and the 360 camera and the pan roof are also virtual deal-breakers. Anything else on top of these (like the S version, Burmeister, 19" alloys etc etc) are just cherries.
But without the exhaust you're not getting the full cake.

Thank you all for the information above, that helps filtering out all the base level spec cars on AutoTrader... now to make sure I find one that hasn't been through a chop shop!

I have a bog-standard C63 non-S variant with the power exhaust and switchable mode. I drive 100% of the time with the valves open, very rarely do I drive it with it switched off. What that says about me as a person, I don't know, but I love it and get nice comments from people :)

I have the 360 camera and pano sunroof, which I think are worthwhile options (it can rattle at times, but I think I've sorted that with some care around the seals).

Seat wise, I have the "comfort" ones which again I prefer - I'd be more than happy with the sport seats, but some feedback I've received is the sport ones can be a touch tiring on long journeys (not that I do many of those, especially these days!). That part was hard to work out, as the dealership didn't have any cars with those standard seats. Suspension wise, I stay in comfort mode as I'm not always looking to get jolted around, and my Mrs would probably complain all the time. I also have larger sidewalls on my tires which probably helps here too.

I also have the upgraded stereo, which again I think is great, but that depends upon what you've had in the past and how much of an audiophile you are.

Distronic is good, but I tend to only use it on motorways or dual carriageway. The self-steering option can have its crazy moments, and it's been back to the dealership four times to get it sorted (it's better, but there is still the odd place where it takes me over to the wrong side of the road or a grass verge). Maybe it's not the right car for that functionality, but on a four-plus hour trip to the Lake District, I felt great as I just set it at the speed I wanted and it coped well.

Ultimately though, these are all personal opinions, and I'd suspect whatever you opt for, you'll love it! I'd probably say the same if I had the total opposite, which means this reply has probably done nothing to help answer your dilemma! :p

Hi MetzC63! I was originally putting the same search into Autotrader as you (except I was after the estate) in the end though I couldn't find what I wanted in my budget so I ended up taking things down a notch and bought a high spec C43 👍

I did a ridiculous amount of research though and everywhere I looked people swore by the AMG performance exhaust as an absolute must have. My C43 has it and the pops and crackles make me laugh like a big kid, I try not to think about how good it must sound on a C63!

The general consensus with C63 Vs C63s seems to eventually boil down to the seats, and if you can live with the firmer bucket seats. (Don't forget about race mode though)

Finally the C63 & 63s can only come with premium pack, they don't have the premium plus option. A good way to compare the two is to look up the e-brochure, just search '2017 c class brochure' 👍

Happy hunting, keep us posted on your progress 👍

Last edited:
I personally don't like the dynamic mounts for the road as I feel is too stiff! (in race mode).

I always have the suspension in Comfort.
I mainly have the car in Individual (engine sport+, comfort suspension, and sport handling)

The extra bits on the "S" is always nice to have! But if you plan to get a remap both engines make the same power

The exhuast button opens the valves which is good for comfort mode as you don't need to be cruising around sport or sport+ for that low speeds V8 rumble. Mine doesn't have that so I fitted a valve simulator that keeps the valves open all the time and doesn't have any drone noise or anything (how the car should have left Mercedes from factory!)

Morning all, bit of a thread revival. I parted ways with my E63 and looking at a C63s. It doesn't have the button for the exhaust, which I find odd as being the S I assumed all would have it. Supppose Merc didn't feel the same way.

I just want so clarity if possible. The switchable exhaust mode I assume is for Comfort mode as allows you to open the exhaust flaps? Where in S, S+ and Race this would naturally do this within the Mode. Meaning if you were in S mode you would have the same exhaust note as if you were in comfort with the flaps open, or have I missed something?

Morning all, bit of a thread revival. I parted ways with my E63 and looking at a C63s. It doesn't have the button for the exhaust, which I find odd as being the S I assumed all would have it. Supppose Merc didn't feel the same way.

I just want so clarity if possible. The switchable exhaust mode I assume is for Comfort mode as allows you to open the exhaust flaps? Where in S, S+ and Race this would naturally do this within the Mode. Meaning if you were in S mode you would have the same exhaust note as if you were in comfort with the flaps open, or have I missed something?
Your assumption is correct, although I always found the exhaust note much sharper in S+ than when in C with the valves manually open. The switchable exhaust was an option on C63’s (both S and non-S) rather than standard fit. I went the other way to you and changed my C63S for a 213 E63S in December.

What made you get rid of yours? (212 right?) if you don’t mind me asking…

It was an option unfortunately on pre facelift from memory, I had to pay extra for it around 8 or 900 quid I think. Some come with a heads up display which was brilliant on mine and I also thought the driver assistance package was great and 360 cam. I optioned all those on my car.

Its been 3 years since I left my c63s but if memory serves :

In comfort mode you can open up the flaps but there won't be pops and bangs but it will be loud ! I think the map gets wilder in each mode and flaps open by default in sport plus

You can have manual mode in any engine mode eg manual gear change in comfort mode if you want. My w212 can't do that.

Your assumption is correct, although I always found the exhaust note much sharper in S+ than when in C with the valves manually open. The switchable exhaust was an option on C63’s (both S and non-S) rather than standard fit. I went the other way to you and changed my C63S for a 213 E63S in December.

What made you get rid of yours? (212 right?) if you don’t mind me asking…
So the more I look into this people say that the switchable exhaust has an effect on S, S+ & Race?

That although the Non PE gets louder through the modes it does not crack and bang as much as the PE.

Which is correct. Does it just effect Comfort or does it impact all Modes?

So the W212 was amazing, pure grunt of the set up was like nothing I've owned before. I had a lot of issues with the local maindealer and the sheer lack of service from the put a very sour taste on the ownership, coupled with a change in commute becoming less then 10 minutes each way it was a lot of cost and along with a new ish born baby and my partner going in to statuary maternity it just made sense to sell and release some cash and reduce some overheads.

Got a MK7 Golf R in its place and I just need something a little more special hence looking a a C63 this time. Better fuel, lower tax etc.

So the more I look into this people say that the switchable exhaust has an effect on S, S+ & Race?

That although the Non PE gets louder through the modes it does not crack and bang as much as the PE.

Which is correct. Does it just effect Comfort or does it impact all Modes?
To my knowledge, the switchable exhaust only has an effect on the sound in the other modes, not the power - I never noticed a difference to be honest.

The hard edge cracks and bangs are the only thing I miss about my old C63S, something which I might have to deal with!

My C63 pops and bangs without the exhaust button

To my knowledge, the switchable exhaust only has an effect on the sound in the other modes, not the power - I never noticed a difference to be honest.

The hard edge cracks and bangs are the only thing I miss about my old C63S, something which I might have to deal with!
Hi sorry I was referring to the sound. Not power.

So even on S, S+ or Race the PE effects the level over a Non PE version

The difference is that the PE has 3 valve's the sports exhaust has 1 personally I wouldn't buy 1 without the button and then fit ASR valve mod ,then you can have them open from start up in any mode 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom