Confused - Service A or Service B!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon Sh

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG Estate
C63 AMG 2009 dash indicator says A5 service due. Mercedes "my service" says B service + brake fluid and plugs as extra when I try to get a quote/book a service. Local Mercedes dealership on-line booking system says A service required but no info on further requirements like plugs or brake fluid!?!?!

I don't know what to do because I have been badly stung previously when a Range Rover was given the wrong service by a mean dealer which resulted in a crank case breather filter blocking and causing over £3k of damage which was not covered by warranty because it had not been properly serviced!! Dealer ended up sorting at his cost after much fighting but that is a whole episode I do not want to have to repeat with my C63!!

Any advice?

A and B services alternate - what was the last service - A or B?

Brake fluid is due every 2 years, spark plugs every 4 years. These are not part of the A/B service schedule, but fall under 'additional items' based on age/mileage - so may coincide with either an A service or B service.

Other 'additional items' that may be due on your 2009 car are:

Air filter change
Polen filter change (possibly already included in the B service schedule for your car)
ATF change
Fuel filter change
Coolant change (though I believe all new MB cars have a 15-years interval now)

Don't book online!

Go into the dealership and let them print out the service requirements. Then you can haggle the price and book. There are many different labour rates (trade, friends and family etc) that can be applied so they will be able to do a deal with you if they get you to book.

Get them to enter a mileage figure relative to where it will be in 2-3 weeks time since when you return for the booking they will re-run the service system and new jobs may appear that weren't quoted for.

Search for Mercedes ESS on google and run the details through it, see what you get. I have not seen the results from this to be wrong.
Kamal

Thanks for the responses folks. Will use ESS and then see if the dealership concurs!!

Thanks for the responses folks. Will use ESS and then see if the dealership concurs!!

The dealers have a internal view of what you see in ESS. I usually get the internal view/check list as ticked during the service as part of my service record for the C63. They are surprisingly similar, one could say identical :D.

Let us know what the outcome is in your situation. Not sure where you're based, but would be interested in understanding which dealers you use too, and experiences.

Thanks,
Kamal

I've just had my 2008 C320 serviced by an MB Dealer with the aim of ensuring EVERYTHING was up to date. The ESS flagged up a 'B' service inc brake fluid change (if not already done) and combination filter plus usual engine oil and filter.

My question is why didn't the ESS flag up the air and fuel filters which are due at 4 years? I would have expected ESS to highlight these as being due IF they haven't already been done due to mileage.

Am I missing something or can't I rely on the ESS for the full picture ??

I've just had my 2008 C320 serviced by an MB Dealer with the aim of ensuring EVERYTHING was up to date. The ESS flagged up a 'B' service inc brake fluid change (if not already done) and combination filter plus usual engine oil and filter.

My question is why didn't the ESS flag up the air and fuel filters which are due at 4 years? I would have expected ESS to highlight these as being due IF they haven't already been done due to mileage.

Am I missing something or can't I rely on the ESS for the full picture ??

I am guessing that ESS assumes that the car has been serviced as per schedule up to the point of checking.

So a 6 years old car will be two years into its second set of fuel and air filters hence nothing to flag up.

I doubt that the on-line web-based ESS has direct access to MB's electronic service records which are specific to your vehicle (though I don't know for fact because my car is 2006 and therefore pre-dates the electronic service book system which means that it won't show it for my vehicle anyway).

Incidentally - as far as I know, B-Service on the C-Class includes the cabin/pollen filter change, so this should not be charged on top of the price quoted by the dealer for the B-Service.

ESS is software. Nothing more. It does not take Into consideration human input.

Your secret service menu will telly ku what is required.

Any independent can find this for you without inaccurate software.

I am guessing that ESS assumes that the car has been serviced as per schedule up to the point of checking.

So a 6 years old car will be two years into its second set of fuel and air filters hence nothing to flag up.

I doubt that the on-line web-based ESS has direct access to MB's electronic service records which are specific to your vehicle (though I don't know for fact because my car is 2006 and therefore pre-dates the electronic service book system which means that it won't show it for my vehicle anyway).

Incidentally - as far as I know, B-Service on the C-Class includes the cabin/pollen filter change, so this should not be charged on top of the price quoted by the dealer for the B-Service.

Thanks markjay, and yes the combination filter was flagged up by ESS and fitted as was the brake fluid change (at additional cost).

This is my first Mercedes so I'm getting used to the service schedule requirements. I think you're right in that the ESS assumes the car has been serviced exactly to the MB schedule. If that's the case it's just as easy to look in the service booklet to see what's due or overdue ... and therefore I can't see the point of ESS??

Ironically the MB dealer I used didn't do everything as per the ESS which I questioned. They've since collected the car and completed the items I'd flagged up. Again why have the ESS if the dealers don't follow it.

Unfortunately I'm left feeling underwhelmed by the main dealer in question and ESS. However I love the car so it's just the servicing I'm not impressed with.

BTW I've tried to confirm the early service schedule with the supplying MB dealer. So far two phone calls, a letter plus an email have yet to generate a response ... is this standard practice for MB dealers?

ARTiSAN said:
Thanks markjay, and yes the combination filter was flagged up by ESS and fitted as was the brake fluid change (at additional cost). This is my first Mercedes so I'm getting used to the service schedule requirements. I think you're right in that the ESS assumes the car has been serviced exactly to the MB schedule. If that's the case it's just as easy to look in the service booklet to see what's due or overdue ... and therefore I can't see the point of ESS?? Ironically the MB dealer I used didn't do everything as per the ESS which I questioned. They've since collected the car and completed the items I'd flagged up. Again why have the ESS if the dealers don't follow it. Unfortunately I'm left feeling underwhelmed by the main dealer in question and ESS. However I love the car so it's just the servicing I'm not impressed with. BTW I've tried to confirm the early service schedule with the supplying MB dealer. So far two phone calls, a letter plus an email have yet to generate a response ... is this standard practice for MB dealers?
Yep.

You do have options.

...I think you're right in that the ESS assumes the car has been serviced exactly to the MB schedule. If that's the case it's just as easy to look in the service booklet to see what's due or overdue ... and therefore I can't see the point of ESS??

Later cars no longer have a printed service book, and ESS is an easy way for owners to check the service schedule. By the sound of it your car (like mine) still has a printed service book.

...Ironically the MB dealer I used didn't do everything as per the ESS which I questioned. They've since collected the car and completed the items I'd flagged up. Again why have the ESS if the dealers don't follow it.

Unfortunately I'm left feeling underwhelmed by the main dealer in question and ESS. However I love the car so it's just the servicing I'm not impressed with.

BTW I've tried to confirm the early service schedule with the supplying MB dealer. So far two phone calls, a letter plus an email have yet to generate a response ... is this standard practice for MB dealers?

Welcome to the wonderful world of MB dealers... unfortunately they are a law unto themselves.

Most MB owners use trusted Indies, of which there are quite a few, and Olly PCS (BlackC55) is highly recommended.

Interestingly, while Indies generally charge less than MB dealers (as you would expect), many owners - myself included - have their cars looked after by a trusted Indie due to the better service rather than for any saving...

I pride myself in maintaining my car to the highest possible standard, a goal that sadly I was unable to achieve through the MB dealer I used when the car was new (and yes Olly, I will come back for that Diff :) )

Said that... to be fair, some members here reported positive experiences at MB dealerships, so I guess that good dealers do exist, but they seem to be few and far between.

Last edited:

I just had an A service on mine. I don't do many miles (about 6K/yr) and most of those a long steady journey down South once a month - so my car runs to the 2 year time limit on pre-2007 cars between services.

ESS flagged up no extra work - not even a brake fluid change. It's 4 years since the fuel and air filters were done so they should have come up too.

Bizzarely it did call for the key battery to be changed - but the dealer just struck that out.

This suits me fine as all I really wanted was to grab another 2yrs Mobilo.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd been covered by ServiceCare? My understanding is MB will only authorise work that comes up on the ESS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom