Confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fayiz

Car
e320 cdi
Hi Guys,

Well, the title says it all really :p

I am confused between a Mercedes S320-L CDI 2006 (56 Plate) And a Mercedes E320 CDI 2007 (57 Plate)

I like them both which makes it a hard choice, I like the E class because it has a higher spec,
(Panoramic Sunroof, Front Heated+Massaged Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Heated Steering-Wheel, Distronic, Airmatic, Electric Trunk, 4 Zone Climate Control, Command System, Harman Kardon, Keyless go and alot more...) Basically the main things I am after.

The S class seems well equipped too since its the L model ofc, with, Panoramic Sunroof, front and rear heated seats, electric trunk, rear electric blind, Distronic-Plus and the usual things. However, Its not quite as highly spec'd as the E class.

In terms of mileage, both are Similar, E is on 130k and S on 126k, both seem well maintained too.

Which one would you guys go for and why? to make my choice easier. As I said, I know the S class holds a better reputation in terms of it's luxury, especially the Limousine model, but in this case, the higher spec'd E class is making it a hard choice.

Please leave your opinions below.

Leaving aside the options,do you really want an E or an S class?
Have you driven either car or seen them to check out the condition?

I'd make the decision once I'd seen and driven both cars.

I just Googled them to have a good look, difficult decision really both are nice cars but the S Class is that bit more for your money I guess.

Don't forget to factor in the running costs as both can be expensive unless you are good at maintenance yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leaving aside the options,do you really want an E or an S class?
Have you driven either car or seen them to check out the condition?

I'd make the decision once I'd seen and driven both cars.

I haven't driven either, but I'm assuming that the E class would be smoother and better to drive since its equipped with the airmatic suspension. But then, the S class would also be nice to drive due to it's general comfort of being an S class.

I just Googled them to have a good look, difficult decision really both are nice cars but the S Class is that bit more for your money I guess.

Don't forget to factor in the running costs as both can be expensive unless you are good at maintenance yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The S class would generally be way out of my budget, however, this one I have spotted is priced at £5000 with no problems which is why it seems so tempting. Similarly, the 1 year newer E class is priced at £5200

The S class would generally be way out of my budget, however, this one I have spotted is priced at £5000 with no problems which is why it seems so tempting. Similarly, the 1 year newer E class is priced at £5200

Would 06 be the old or newer shape?

Would 06 be the old or newer shape?

The newest shape is the W222 which starts from 2014 I think, So, 2006 Would be W221 which is the slightly older shape which started from 2006 up till 2013 I think.

The one I am looking at is 2006 (56 plate) W221

E class very nice, manageable size.

S class is in a totally different league for comfort. Totally different league.

My wife find our w211 e class easy to park, she struggles a bit with the s class as the visibility is not so good and reversing it it is harder to place.

Given the choice i would take the s class as you can hustle it along if you want to, but boy, when you want to just waft, it wafts. 850 + miles a day, no problems. Even the seats are more comfortable.

Well the S class is the motor to get,it has airmatic suspension as standard,it also has a reversing camera,I am biased I own a w221 s320,I think you will kick yourself if you do not own s once in your driving life,as always it is the service records that have to be studied,you have seen both vehicles,put the reg's through the MOT web site and see what they have failed on in the past it helps to understand who has owned them and what was allowed to happen to the vehicle as it has gone into a yearly inspection.

Well the S class is the motor to get,it has airmatic suspension as standard,it also has a reversing camera,I am biased I own a w221 s320,I think you will kick yourself if you do not own s once in your driving life,as always it is the service records that have to be studied,you have seen both vehicles,put the reg's through the MOT web site and see what they have failed on in the past it helps to understand who has owned them and what was allowed to happen to the vehicle as it has gone into a yearly inspection.

I checked the MOT history of both, I think that the E Class has been better maintained and looked after since it has had no advisories for the past 3-4 years. The S class has had no advisories for the past 1-2 years, but before that, it had advisories such as "engine-management light on" which makes me wonder what it was on for.

Having had a W211 and now a C216 (which is built on the W221 SWB platform), both with Airmatic (the 216 has ABC too), I would drive them both as suggested by AMGeed as they are very different cars.

My gut feeling tells me the E is a better bet purely from a spectator point of view, from what you have posted so far, but it will cost you to get it wrong so better to try them both out to be sure, first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom