Congestion Charge Hits Petrol Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
Here are a couple of important points:-

1. Mayor Livingstone has announced that there will be a £25 congestion charge in London on 'gas-guzzlers' from 2009, while the standard charge will be £8.
2. BUT NOTE it is levied only on cars in the highest CO2 emissions band which is band G.
3. NOTE TOO, that there were no CO2 emissions figures given for cars prior to March 1st, 2001 so cars registered prior to that date are exempt from the higher congestion charge WHATEVER THEIR ENGINE SIZE.
4. The exemption for larger-engined cars registered prior to March 1st, 2001 has been widely reported but less well-known is the fact that BAND G DOES NOT EXIST FOR CARS REGISTERED BEFORE MARCH 23rd 2006. Therefore, cars with high emissions (226 or more) registered before March 23rd 2006 will not pay the higher congestion charge, while those registered after that date will pay it.

Some will question whether this is an anomaly, but on reflection it is not. The Chancellor, when introducing band G saw no point in clobbering owners of large cars that had already been bought. The aim was to affect future choices -cars bought after the 2006 budget. That was sensible in my view.

The likely affects of the congestion charge, and the widely reported view that the same basis will be used for road tolls, will be to
a) harm sales of cars with emissions of 226 or more (petrol engines from about 2 litres upwards can be caught by this),
b) help the sales of diesels (for example, even the S320cdi comes in below the new band G)
c) harden prices of pre March 2001 cars with larger engines (but obviously not increase their numbers as they are already in existence).
and d) harden prices of second-hand larger engined cars registered before March 23rd 2006.

As Autocar have pointed out, http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=223038
the higher congestion charge on band G vehicles "means, for example, that the driver of a Renault Espace 2.0T (232g/km) would pay £25 to drive into central London, while the driver of an Espace 2.2dCi (211g/km) would pay £8. This is despite both vehicles being the same physical size, and therefore causing the same amount of congestion.

London residents who live within the scheme – who currently qualify for a 90 per cent discount – will no longer get any discount if their car is in band G.

Meanwhile, in 2008 the charge for the least-polluting vehicles – those in band A and B, which produce less than 120g/km – will be removed".

seems ok, remember its not just to do with physical congestion, its a lot to do with air pollustion etc so diesnt matter that the two cars are of the same dimensions in the slightest...

well , theres only one answer.

everybody stop shopping , working and generally giving any money to london and Mr Livingstone will reap what he sews.

happy holidays :)

fuzzer said:
well , theres only one answer.

everybody stop shopping , working and generally giving any money to london and Mr Livingstone will reap what he sews.

happy holidays :)

I stopped taking my car into Londo years ago because there are actually several answers non of which are quite as ridiculous as yours

1, you could always use public transport to travel in and out of central London - last thing I heard they have this system called an underground railway which works particularly well - there are even undergound stations in the same places as the mainline once to make the journey so simple even a complete muppet would struggle to get it wrong. Or you could even try walking to your destination. London's public transport system works well for the most part.

2, you could try driving a smaller car, after all, the traffic is so congested in Central London there is little point in driving a large car

3, slightly less practical is riding a bike

They've worked this out carefully so there is a distinct choice for the motorist. It's not a stealth tax, there's no hidden agenda, no conspiracy and more importantly it's not something they have back dated to hit those who already own these type of vehicles.

Andy

I trust that if I drive a 100% green car into london , that I won't fall into a damned great road as the condition of the highways begins to get worse than many third world countries .

I wonder what the polution of a 737 from london to glasgow is compared to a day in London -

That man wants stringing up - I bet he didn't pay a penny for the polution created defending him against the action for his anti semetic comments .

He is a complete and utter hypocritic - is all the plant serving the building of the new Olympic Village Euro 4 ? I bet it isn't .

andy_k said:
I stopped taking my car into Londo years ago because there are actually several answers non of which are quite as ridiculous as yours

1, you could always use public transport to travel in and out of central London - last thing I heard they have this system called an underground railway which works particularly well - there are even undergound stations in the same places as the mainline once to make the journey so simple even a complete muppet would struggle to get it wrong. Or you could even try walking to your destination. London's public transport system works well for the most part.

2, you could try driving a smaller car, after all, the traffic is so congested in Central London there is little point in driving a large car

3, slightly less practical is riding a bike

They've worked this out carefully so there is a distinct choice for the motorist. It's not a stealth tax, there's no hidden agenda, no conspiracy and more importantly it's not something they have back dated to hit those who already own these type of vehicles.

Andy

By virtue of the fact that I would like to see my next birthday - I think a pushbike is out .
If the underground was up to the job then it might be a pleasure - now it is something less than a credit -

If the Public Transport network is up to the job - then perhaps we should consider a very big reduction in the number of black cabs licensed to operate - surely they won't be required ? and why aren't all new cabs electrically powered , or at least hybrid ?

Ken Livingstone hasn't worked out anything sensibly in his life - how long did it take him to allow payment of the congestion charge next day ?

I might take the spirit of the congestion charge a bit more seriously if it wasn't anything to do with that clown .

television said:
...... the answer lies in the soil.

Malcolm:)

God you must be nearly as old as me....not heard that one for a long time....regular Gardeners Question Time chap....name escapes me, he died some years ago.

fredfloggle said:
Ken Livingstone hasn't worked out anything sensibly in his life.....

What's the betting he's worked out his pension ok...?

andy_k said:

They've worked this out carefully so there is a distinct choice for the motorist.
Andy

Why a smaller car? My S320cdi is not affected by the higher tax.

hawk20 said:
Why a smaller car? My S320cdi is not affected by the higher tax.

I think Andy means a smaller car that does not take up much room. its also right what he says about the tube,no parking worries at all, so easy to park just ouside and train it in.

Back in the 50's I could go from Watford to Croydon in just over the hour,
going down Park Lane. After looking at a SL in Croydon I thought I would try out my old route 6 hours later I hit the Herts Border on a Sat.

Malcolm

It all seems quite reasonable really. Drive a more polluting car and pay more tax. Size doesnt matter as the congestion part of the tax is the first £8.

If I was going into london then I would more than likely use the train or park outside the congestion zone and use publice transport within.

However my option is just stay out of London. Its one place I can honestly say I never want to go to.

Just a question for those who drive within the zone. Has the tax reduced congestion at all?

IanAlexander2 said:
God you must be nearly as old as me....not heard that one for a long time....regular Gardeners Question Time chap....name escapes me, he died some years ago.

:bannana: :bannana: Percy Thrower!!:bannana: :bannana:

Drive in London alot, con charge works well, Has certainly had the desired effect.

We now operate a small fleet of LPG Vans and therfore only pay the con charge when I go into town.

As far as this new charging goes, I forget the dates but in the future, old highly polluting vans and lorries are to be charged £100 a day, and this zone will extend out to the inside of the M25!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/low-emission-zone/faq.asp

Deep joy for small haulage companies.

The train just doesn't work for me, I usually like to go to the office first (Leighton Buzzard), then travel into london, back to the office then home. If I used the train there wouldn't be enough hours in the day. Fair enough some times I can get very stuck in traffic, but I have also suffered massive delays on the train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom