Congestion Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually, not so impressive, according to the DVLA website, On 16" wheels it 179, on 17" wheels its 181, mine is 183 so all cost £210pa VED. On 18" wheels VED jumps to £245pa.

I'm guessing the DVLA website is out of date. MB's own website quotes:

E350 CDI: 16": n/a; 17": 162g/km; 18/19": 168g/km
E350 BlueEFFICIENCY: 16": n/a; 17": 161g/km; 18/19": 164g/km

No congestion charge if the vehicle isn't being used during the charging hours, but your parking bill will be enormous.

You are assuming that those little Smart cars with the periscope CCTV and APNR are not used for CC enforcement?

You are assuming that those little Smart cars with the periscope CCTV and APNR are not used for CC enforcement?

They do use mobile cameras for CC enforcement (mainly vans rather than Smart cars), but if your car isn't moved during the operational hours you're still not liable.

They do use mobile cameras for CC enforcement (mainly vans rather than Smart cars), but if your car isn't moved during the operational hours you're still not liable.

So if you enter after 6pm, but leave the next day at mid day...you must pay..and the cameras will catch you when you leave. But will they catch you if you stay inside the zone?

If you drive within the zone during the charging hours there are cameras all the way through the zone that should catch you - ie enforcement is throughout the zone rather than just on the entrance.

So they don't pick on parked parked cars, just moving ones?

So if you arrive after 6.00pm park, then leave after 6.00pm there would be no charge assuming you had somewhere to park? Leaving at say 5.30pm could get a days charge if caught on camera as you obvious have to drive to get out.

In this case how would you know and would you be charged again if driving back in again to pay the charge, or does the payment cover the whole day regardless of number of exits and entries?

So the answer is to arrive early and stay late but what does one do all day, it's not like London has much to see and do all day is it. ;):D

Last edited:
So if you arrive after 6.00pm park, then leave after 6.00pm there would be no charge assuming you had somewhere to park? Leaving at say 5.30pm could get a days charge if caught on camera as you obvious have to drive to get out.

In this case how would you know and would you be charged again if driving back in again to pay the charge, or does the payment cover the whole day regardless of number of exits and entries?

So if the answer is to arrive early and stay late what does one do all day, it's not that London has much to see and do all day is it. ;):D

Payment for the day enables you to drive it around, in and out of the zone as many times as you like. But if you don't drive at all during the hours of operation you don't pay the charge. Parking is pretty expensive though :)

So they don't pick on parked parked cars, just moving ones?

The logic being that (legally) parked cars don't contribute to congestion (officially) or pollution/poor air quality (unofficially).

Just don't forget to pay for 2 days, it starts getting a bit pricey.

The logic being that (legally) parked cars don't contribute to congestion (officially) or pollution/poor air quality (unofficially).

Or. in Kenspeak, a parked car takes up less room than a moving one :dk:

You and me both......I hope never again to have to go to London.

In the oft-quoted words of Dr Johnson (no, not Boris!):
Samuel Johnson said:
Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.

In the oft-quoted words of Dr Johnson (no, not Boris!):

You will find that particular quotation predates the tenure of Livingstone, the martinet. :D

I came through Ken's era unscathed, and so did London. It's bigger than its mayor.

Possibly it is but my intuition is that Livingstone's head stretches at least as far as the M25 and I believe that Red Ken won't be happy until every road user is paying £100 per day to drive anywhere for any distance in the UK.

I don't like the poles with 8 CCTV camera perched on them, ostensibly to collect and police the congestion charge. This taxation could have been levied at the petrol pump without the enormous quango required to administer it. Red Ken... secure beneath the watchful eyes

Yeah, Right. :doh:

Orwell was precient...

So the answer is to enter the charging zone after 6pm, have a night in a hotel, use the hotel car park facility, one night valet parking is £50 at the Intercontinental Park Lane, and drive away after 6pm. Rather give the hotel £50 than LfT £8/day.
But then again, I don't know were the CC zone starts, don't know how to pay in advance and really can't be bothered to find out. For instance, do you still have to 'register' if you drive in after 6pm? Too much detail to bother with, so I stay away!

So the answer is to enter the charging zone after 6pm, have a night in a hotel, use the hotel car park facility, one night valet parking is £50 at the Intercontinental Park Lane, and drive away after 6pm. Rather give the hotel £50 than LfT £8/day.
But then again, I don't know were the CC zone starts, don't know how to pay in advance and really can't be bothered to find out. For instance, do you still have to 'register' if you drive in after 6pm? Too much detail to bother with, so I stay away!

It's the third option... :)

Pay online | Transport for London

Possibly it is but my intuition is that Livingstone's head stretches at least as far as the M25 and I believe that Red Ken won't be happy until every road user is paying £100 per day to drive anywhere for any distance in the UK.

I don't like the poles with 8 CCTV camera perched on them, ostensibly to collect and police the congestion charge. This taxation could have been levied at the petrol pump without the enormous quango required to administer it. Red Ken... secure beneath the watchful eyes

Yeah, Right. :doh:

Orwell was precient...

You want everyone to pay more for fuel because London city council created a congested city?

Yeah, right :ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom