Congestion Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I have now registered my complain and interesting when I logged in to do so, it states that my violation is for being in a low emissions zone.

I know the E500 is not exactly green, but surely its not in van / lorry territory.

London welcomes us!!!! I don't think.

Well, I learn something new everyday, still won't drive into London though, or take the train for that matter.

I wrote the above back in Septemeber 2011.

Thought I would resurrect this thread, mainly about NOT visiting London.

Wifey booked Theatre tickets to see Matthew Corden at the Adelphi on The Strand in 'One man two guvnors'. Went last week, day trip from Norwich by train, poor old train couldn't make it to Liverpool Street, dumped us all at Stratford. Got to Lpool St 1 hour late. Ticket covered tube to Liverpool St but not beyond, so had to get off tube at Lpool St, buy additional ticket for extra 4/5 stops to Covent Garden.

Tube ticket minimum cost was £4.30 each!!!! I was so sure the automatic ticket machine was wrong I queued at a window, only to have it confirmed.

What a rip-off for just 4/5 stops. £1.00 would be just about OK.

On the return from Savoy Theatre, took a taxi - £10 and door to door. Value!

Boris needs to sort this out, the cost is outrageous, and the impression it leaves is just awful.

Wifey booked Theatre tickets to see Matthew Corden at the Adelphi on The Strand in 'One man two guvnors'. Went last week, day trip from Norwich by train, poor old train couldn't make it to Liverpool Street, dumped us all at Stratford. Got to Lpool St 1 hour late. Ticket covered tube to Liverpool St but not beyond, so had to get off tube at Lpool St, buy additional ticket for extra 4/5 stops to Covent Garden.

Tube ticket minimum cost was £4.30 each!!!! I was so sure the automatic ticket machine was wrong I queued at a window, only to have it confirmed.

Boris needs to sort this out, the cost is outrageous, and the impression it leaves is just awful.

Should have driven in!!

Should have driven in!!

I would like to drive in, but where to park all day and at what cost? plus congestion charge that is a rip-off, is it £8 now?

Either way, Train or Car, London seems to be telling me to stay away, we don't want you to visit!

Yup, London tube (and bus) fares are pretty ridiculous if you buy tickets (i.e. you don't have an Oyster card).

Went last week, day trip from Norwich by train, poor old train couldn't make it to Liverpool Street, dumped us all at Stratford. Got to Lpool St 1 hour late. Ticket covered tube to Liverpool St but not beyond, so had to get off tube at Lpool St, buy additional ticket for extra 4/5 stops to Covent Garden.
With the benefit of hindsight ... I think you could have gone from Stratford to Charing Cross by overland train (change at London Bridge) for nothing - rail tickets are normally to "London Terminals". The theatre is a 5 minute walk from Charing Cross (I work on the Strand) ... not much further than from Covent Garden tube!

Thanks BTB, but stood on the platform with a crowd of confused passengers to speak to just one rail staffer did not make for good decision making. I should have known at the time, and Charing Cross would have been ideal.

As for an Oyster Card, just looked at the details, might make sense even for day trip, single fare drops from £4.30 to £2 BUT minimum prepaid is £13 each £26/ couple, for just a few stops aaaaarrgghh! Rip off again!!!!!

I'll be using taxis next time.

Last edited:
Yup I go from the Strand to Oxford Circus and back to give blood, which costs me getting on for £5 by bus now (and tube would be even more). I looked at getting an oyster card but for occasional use it's not worth it.

Actually I'd be quite happy to walk there apart from the extra time involved (I go in my lunch break). Probably wouldn't want to walk back afterwards though :)

Do you mean James Corden in post 63?

Yes, of course it should have been James, my apologies to him, always associate him with Matthew Horne, both of Gavin & Stacy fame. Old brain in my head, easily confused these days! BTW neither of them have any dealings with each other these days - had a big falling out.
JAMES Corden was fabulous in 'One man two Guvnors', but think his run has finished.

An off peak day ticket would have cost £7, not cheap, but cheaper than 2 x £4.30

As for an Oyster Card, just looked at the details, might make sense even for day trip, single fare drops from £4.30 to £2 BUT minimum prepaid is £13 each £26/ couple, for just a few stops aaaaarrgghh! Rip off again!!!!!

Where are you getting £13 from?

As stated, an Oyster single fare for any trip within zones 1 and 2 is £2 (plus a one-off, refundable £5 deposit for the Oyster card itself).

Cash fares are deliberately set high to encourage Oyster take up - reason being that bus services in particular run far more efficiently if drivers don't have to spend ages at each stop checking fares and sorting out change for each customer.

Cash fares are deliberately set high to encourage Oyster take up - reason being that bus services in particular run far more efficiently if drivers don't have to spend ages at each stop checking fares and sorting out change for each customer.
In central London they don't handle cash - you have to buy a ticket (from a machine) before boarding. But obviously they have to install/service/empty the machines, which is all overhead.

Where are you getting £13 from?

As stated, an Oyster single fare for any trip within zones 1 and 2 is £2 (plus a one-off, refundable £5 deposit for the Oyster card itself).

Here perhaps?
Visitor Oyster Card | Oyster card

In central London they don't handle cash - you have to buy a ticket (from a machine) before boarding. But obviously they have to install/service/empty the machines, which is all overhead.

How long has that been the case? Can't say I'd noticed, but then I rarely use buses and when I do, I use my Oyster card.

As you say, though, dealing with cash remains expensive, as does printing tickets, and it lacks the flexibility of an electronic system.

I was about to post this when I lost my wifi connection:

Visitor cards are aimed at tourists who'll be staying in London and travelling around, for which £10 is a sensible minimum. You can buy a standard Oyster with £5 credit at TfL's website (see renault12ts's link), or less (from £1, I think) at stations and newsagents.

Sorry, I was just answering MOCAŠ'S question " where are you getting £13 from?" not suggesting the price was the best available.

How long has that been the case? Can't say I'd noticed, but then I rarely use buses and when I do, I use my Oyster card.
A few years at least. Also the ticket machines at bus stops don't give change ...

Edit - here you go, it was 2003 this came in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3175003.stm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom