Congestion Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi
We have received a con charge, as I like to call it fine for apparently going being in the charging zone without having paid for the privilege.

However, I asked my wife which route she had used and she is adamant that she hadn't gone into the zone.

The issue lies in that the road that she was caught on Grays Inn Road has bits which are in the zone and other which are not.

Can we find out exactly where along the road she was caught without loosing the chance of the reduced rate penalty?

Regards

Tan

The PCN should have been accompanied by two photographs of the car. Due to the positioning of the cameras, it's a safe bet that the car would have been entering (or moving within) the zone in order to have been captured.

You may be able to work out the camera locations from this list: Congestion charge camera locations

Or you could contact the call centre (0845 900 1234) to request the specific location of the camera that the took the photo. There may a reference number for the camera on the PCN.

This why I stay way from London, whatever attractions in may offer, so no Theatre trips, no Wembley events. The congestion charges is a con, I don't know were it starts, don't want to know. If I had to enter it I would strive to use a vehicle thats exempt, event a G-Whiz if I had to. But I don't, and I can swan around the rest of the country visiting beautiful places in my low emission (183) E320cdi.

Double-post due to forum lag.

Last edited:
This why I stay way from London, whatever attractions in may offer, so no Theatre trips, no Wembley events. The congestion charges is a con, I don't know were it starts, don't want to know. If I had to enter it I would strive to use a vehicle thats exempt, event a G-Whiz if I had to. But I don't, and I can swan around the rest of the country visiting beautiful places in my low emission (183) E320cdi.

I think you will find Wembley is no where near the Congestion Fine Area....

You and me both......I hope never again to have to go to London.

Mic

I think you will find Wembley is no where near the Congestion Fine Area....

And as the Congestion Charge doesn't apply after 6pm, it doesn't really affect theatre-goers either (although Westminster's new street-parking charges will do).

NB: 183g/km cannot be considered "low-emissions" these days (especially for a humdrum car). The government defines this as 120g/km or less.

And as the Congestion Charge doesn't apply after 6pm, it doesn't really affect theatre-goers either (although Westminster's new street-parking charges will do).

NB: 183g/km cannot be considered "low-emissions" these days (especially for a humdrum car). The government defines this as 120g/km or less.
Well, as I said, I have no idea where or when it applies, it would be nice to drive in on a Sunday perhaps, but the whole message to us 'outsiders' is STAY AWAY we don't want you and it will cost you dear, so I stay away. Simples!

(Humdrum, really?) I'm considering a change to a petrol engined car that will probably have higher emissions, but will do low mileage, for a 3.2 engine 183 is low. The regime of excise duty based on emissions is unfair, IMO we should pay VED (perhaps) when we buy a vehicle, and then pay through fuel duty as we use the car.

Feel the original thread has slipped away, so thats it from me.

the whole message to us 'outsiders' is STAY AWAY we don't want you and it will cost you dear, so I stay away. Simples!

With that sort of logic, I'm surprised you even chose a Mercedes-Benz. The Charge only applies to certain parts of London, and only on weekdays. If you choose to stay away from London it's probably for other reasons.

(Humdrum, really?)

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be offensive. I just meant as in, it's a diesel saloon, as opposed to some kind of exotic. I'd use the same term to describe my own Škoda (and that's not even a diesel).

CC was indeed quite annoying when it was first introduced. But now that they allow for automatic charging for registered drivers, I am more relaxed, as having registered I no longer need to worry about fines.

Well, I learn something new everyday, still won't drive into London though, or take the train for that matter.

Not these days. The E350 CDI puts out 162-168g/km (depending on wheel choice), and the E350 BE 161-164. Even the more performance-orientated SLK 350 puts out 167g/km.
That's impressive, didn't know that. Thanks.

Actually, not so impressive, according to the DVLA website, On 16" wheels it 179, on 17" wheels its 181, mine is 183 so all cost £210pa VED. On 18" wheels VED jumps to £245pa.

If you drive into the Zone after 6pm on a weekday, park up and do not leave until after 6pm the next day,will you have to pay...and how would they know?

If you drive into the Zone after 6pm on a weekday, park up and do not leave until after 6pm the next day,will you have to pay...and how would they know?

No congestion charge if the vehicle isn't being used during the charging hours, but your parking bill will be enormous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom