Congestion Charging in Durham?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvgreg

Car
CLK63 AMG, CLK55, Audi Q7-4.2, A6-4.2, Ducati Monster 1200S, Aprillia RSV1000R, A210 LWB
I had to visit clients in Durham this week and took a wrong turning into the center of Durham, along with several other cars, I might add. My Sat Nav started to warn me of a route that contained charging tariffs’. As soon as I could I turned around and left.

After reading another thread on unreasonable parking charges it got me thinking about the Sat Nav warning only to discover that Durham is the only other location to have a congestion charging zone. Better still you can only pay for this at a parking shop by phone or in person (no option of online post payment). Finally it seems you have to pay by 6.00pm the following day or incur a penalty charge.

I will give them a call when they are next open, but I would welcome understanding if this is for real. I would have thought I would have seen some signs warning I was entering a congestion charging zone, but the fact that pedestrians seemed to be playing 'chicken' with my car and others had me focussed on not hitting one of them rather than looking for congestion charge signs.

I would welcome anyone with local knowledge sharing their experiences with me.

Yes, there is a congestion charge zone in Durham City. It runs from the Market Place up to the Cathedral and Castle and is really about discouraging motor vehicles in that part of the old city. 'Congestion' is something of a misnomer in this case! I think it operates between 10am and 4pm from Monday to Saturday and is controlled by ANPR cameras on exit. If you Google 'Durham Road User Charge Zone' it should come up with the details on the Durham County Council web site, though it doesn't appear to tell you where to find the so-called 'Parking Shop' where you are supposed to pay the charge on exit! :confused:

Thanks Wheelnuts, your summary is spot on.

Just spoke to a nice lady who could not tell me if I was in the Congestion Charge zone but nonetheless relieved me of £2.00 for (we think) entering that zone Wednesday lunchtime.

Interesting thing is the web site states that if don't pay by 6.00pm the following day of entry (you can only pay in person or by phone when they are open) you are laible to a penalty fee of £30.

Outside London this appears to be the only other congestion charging zone in operation....who knew. Sounds like a good pub quiz question.

Hope it helps soemone else, thanks again Wheelnut.:thumb:

You used to pay at a machine on exiting the charge zone and it was controlled by a rising bollard. However, they had numerous 'incidents' where the bollard rose up under exiting vehicles with some damaging results. It's said that a van had its sump taken off just a few days after the scheme was introduced. So the Council appears to have gone in for a less draconian enforcement regime: I guess £30 is cheaper than a new sump! :eek:

Another great idea by the council was to remove the kerbs and pave it all over on one level with decorative blocks so that it looks like one big pedestrian area. You can't really blame people for wandering around, it doesn't look like a road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom