congestion charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
I have been trying not to start this thread but it's about time.

Though this doesn't affect me directly I'm not paying them £5 a day - no way

What are your views on this.... I have very strong views on this matter, I think there are other ways the government should have approached and tackled this.

It is simply an extension of their policy to tax us out of our cars rather than offering a viable alternative.

£40b collected and around £6b actually spent on roads last year.

Ken has apparently said that he will keep raising the charge until he gets his 15% reduction in traffic.

Phil

If public transport was:

1. Reliable (that includes safe!! :confused: )
2. Frequent
3. Clean
and
4. At a fair price then I'd have no hesitation in using the services.

Here in Swansea they certainly aren't that so I travel everywhere by car.

In London I mainly use public transport about 90% of the time for getting about, not because I want to but because it is generally less hassle than taking the car, therefore I don't feel I have much of a choice. However, the transport services are dirty, I don't feel all that safe in them these days (just look at last week) and I certainly don't feel I am getting value for money.

This isn't a dig at the people that run or are responsible for the services directly because I'm guessing they're being starved of funding from government, so they are doing the best they can with what little resources are available to them.

I do resent the fact that they are trying to force people out of cars onto a public transport service system that seems to be in dire need of maintenance/planning/ugrading etc.

However, like most thorny issues... there is no easy answer or magic solution. :confused:

Just my 2 penneth.

S.

I must say I was amased yesterday when Ken said in a statement that everyone getting on the Tube was putting their lives at risk due to the lack of maintenance on the underground.

If thats not shooting himself in the foot with a bazooka, what is :crazy:

Until summer 2000 I was using public transport, 2 buses either direction to university. I only lived 10 miles away but it took about 1.5 hours to do the journey.

People who only drive cars don't understand public transport, unless you have tried some public transport recently don't try to comment on it. If you haven't tried public transport then I thoroughly recommend you do, it will make you appreciate your car SO MUCH MORE. Public transport for the most part SUCKS!

During the petrol crisis I had to catch trains to work. Travel to work by car was bad enough because the traffic is always insane on the M62 towards Leeds. Nothing could have prepared me for the trains! I had to leave the house at 6am and drive to Manchester (no buses until 7:15am) , then I had to park up next to the station for about £3.50 (which is cheap really) , the best train was at about 7:10am or something and it cost me about £7 or £8 for the return ticket. The trains were busy anyway, but got steadily more and more packed until we got to my station (Dewsbury) which is about 3 stops before the likes of Leeds (which was where everyone else was going). I finally got into work at about 8:30am, totally knackered from the various modes of transport, and queues, and all the people etc. Then at about 6pm I had to catch the train back home, then drive for 45 mins from the station. I would get home at about 8pm, exhausted. It cost me twice as much as driving did and took at least twice as long. How was that supposed to get me "out of my car" and on to public transport? It just made me appreciate my car 10x more when petrol became available again, and 10x less likely to want to use public transport.

This is the way it is: no-one likes public transport because it's run-down, noisey, smelly and slow, so no-one uses it; because no-one uses it it makes no money; to make it more attractive we need to spend money on it; as it makes no money (because of the aforementioned dislike) the money has to come from somewhere else, but where? We take the money off the very people who don't like it, spend it on the public transport and the people who paid for it hate it even more because it cost them so much money. ...or we can take the money from the people who *do* like/use the system by pushing the prices up, but because there is little improvement immediately they start hating the system too.

[/waffle][/soapbox]

So now what? :(

Even managed to get a CLK in the pic of a Newsagents that takes congestion charge!

cclondon09.jpg

At some point they are going to bring it in here in Bristol.

From the local rag it's going to be around 6 quid.

At the office we do have a car that is exempt from the congestion charge (Prius).

But I have to agree public transport sucks.

Maybe we should get one of these

Priva-Plate

Or bond style

Flip-Tip

Only suitable for off road use !! :)

I am lucky my route to work goes around the border so i just escape the charge, though the traffic levels are probably going to go up around the edges.

I looked into the possibilty of an LPG conversions but the exemption from the charge is a bit iffy. They are now saying that if too many people use LPG as a way of avoiding the charge they will make LPG cars pay aswell, so the £2000 conversion charge would be wasted.

With regrads to what Ken said about the safety of the Tube, will he delay the start of Congestion Taxing? I doubt it, it amazes me what these fools can get way with.

Tan

My 2p worth, congestion charge sucks, but as Lust4Life says there are underlying things

firstly, the police now have access to the insurance database, so when u get stopped for a routine check, they can also check if you are insured!

also they are clamping down on tax dodgers, hence you have to have a V5 when you buy tax.

next thing is illegal number plates, hence you cant (supposidly ) sell or buy number plates that are illegal! therefore when getting number plates made you must show ID and the plate maker must have his post code and name on the bottom. it is illegal for them to sell em with blank bottoms (but im sure loads will!)

anyway, this has all got to do with conjestion charge on way or another!

Boris gives west Londoners a say on C-charge

Go for it and have your say.................

Mr Johnson said he would ask Londoners about the best options for the zone, which was extended to cover parts of Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster. The consultation will be open to residents, businesses and stakeholders.
Mr Johnson said: "I have the utmost respect for the opinions of Londoners and I hope that thousands will take part. I remain to be persuaded on exactly what we should do ."
Possible changes include:
• Making the congestion charge easier to pay by introducing accounts for motorists.
• Introducing a charge-free period in the middle of the day in the western extension.
• Increasing the residents' discount to 100 per cent (this would apply to the extension and original charging zone).
Anyone wishing to take part can fill in an online form or call TfL for a copy. If the Mayor decides to make significant changes there would be another 12-week consultation.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...s+west+Londoners+a+say+on+C-charge/article.do

I know this is an old thread, but I enjoyed reading what people had to say back in 03. I still think its awful and should be abolished for so many reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom