Connect Navman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyjester900

Car
C200 W202
Hey guys,

Can you connect a standard Navman to the car without the using the
cigarette lighter?

Do you need to cut the cable? can you buy a separate cable?

i want to hard wire it into the car???

Any HOWTO or so as i am not too good with the wiring. ....

Thanks guys....:eek:

Cigar lighter is the favorite place to hard wire an accessory because it is only live when key is at position 1 accessory, or position 2, ignition on. Its just a mater of splicing into the Positive + and Negative - wires.

See here on how to gain access to the cigar lighter by removing the ashtray unit.

Dec

yeh, i used that HOWTO
very good i can now see what gear i am in at night....

ok so there are two wires going into the cigarette lighter?

and i splice into them?

just don't wanna f** up the cigarette lighter as so many
things plug into it!!!

Live to the centre wire of the socket and earth to the body of it

My limited knowledge says that there may be some form of electronic 'gubbins' in the actual plug from the nav unit so you just can't simply cut it off and splice the wire in. That is certainly the case in my PDA satnav holder.

Richard or Alfie would know better

Could you put up a picture of the Navman plug that you normally plug into the cigar lighter, if it is possible to open the plug then picture it in that state.

There are 12v in your cigar lighter socket but as Steve has pointed out , there may be a voltage regulator inside the Navman plug which steps the cigar lighter 12v down to 5v, in other words your Navman may be running on 5v.

Look at the Navman documentation’s to see what it says as to what the input and output is, for example it will say;
Input 12v
Output ?v

An easier alternative to all this is to install a second cigar lighter socket behind the ashtray, supplied by the existing cigar lighter and have the Navman permanently plugged into it, there is plenty of space in there to do this.

Dec

Last edited:
An easier alternative to all this is to install a second cigar lighter socket behind the ashtray, supplied by the existing cigar lighter and have the Navman permanently plugged into it, there is plenty of space in there to do this.

Dec

Perfect sounds like a much better idea.

What processes are involved in this?

Thanks for that, will save me a lot of trouble..

Brad

The only other wire that will be present on the existing cigar lighter is for the lighter illumination bulb so just disregard this, all you really need is a Positive + and Negative – to power the new cigar lighter.

Example picture source… http://www.powerwerx.com/_images/products/atcsocket_xlrg.jpg
Dec

Attachments

• cigar lighter.jpg
    cigar lighter.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom