connecting mains electric to a house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

does anyone know the 1st port of call in regards to getting electricity connected to a house?

the house has been unhabitable for several years now and although it had mains electric via overhead cabling, its now missing. the nearest pole appears about 100 metres away.

TIA

derek

Contact the electricity supplier you intend to use and they will tell you how much it will cost to get connected.

just hook it up, wear rubber wellies and you'll be fine :p

Last edited:
it didn't cost anything when we had it done ten years ago.

I gave them a ring, they sent an engineer who sucked his teeth, pointed a bit , gave me a cable and one of those GRP boxes. I laid it in a trench to the road one end poking into the new box set into the wall. I also fitted a consumer unit with tails drooping into the box. They turned up and dug a trench to the nearest post when it suited them and connected it all together.

Prepare yourself for a large bill Derek if the DNO have to take it back 100m. If it was just a reconnection it would'nt be too bad.

If they ask for maximum demand you going to need a single phase 20kva supply that will give you a standard 100amps.

Prepare yourself for a large bill Derek if the DNO have to take it back 100m. If it was just a reconnection it would'nt be too bad.

If they ask for maximum demand you going to need a single phase 20kva supply that will give you a standard 100amps.

Ditto the cost :(

I had a single phase supply upgraded to a three phase supply.

Some large plastic trunking, laid into the channel I had to dig, c.10m of appropriate cable, and the re connection of the new cable to the main.

£1800 and that was in 2002.

I should add, however, that it involved digging up the road and included the 3 off main fuse breakers.

Last edited:
Just had a price from UK Power Networks (new name for EDF?)
£678 for a simple alteration to move a cable from an old decaying chimney to a new chimney slightly closer to their pole & upgrade to 100A
Apply on-line or phone 0845 234 0040

Supplying utilities used to be a public service. Now it's an extra dividend for the shareholders.

Thanks. We are renovating the whole house so i'm hoping, in the grand scheme of things its not going to be one of the biggest bills we will face, but i'm anticipating it to be "not small" :(

i'll be contacting a few companies today.

We wanted an extra electric supply at work to split the fuel station from our workshop and the cost was £7000 + VAT.

Site engineer will be coming to see the site in the next few days..... i'll keep my fingers crossed its not a deal breaker.

Supplying utilities used to be a public service. Now it's an extra dividend for the shareholders.

On the contrary, I am glad that the utility companies can pass their one-off costs onto the beneficiary of the service.

Otherwise my already high energy costs would effectively include a subsidy to housebuilders.

it didn't cost anything when we had it done ten years ago.

I gave them a ring, they sent an engineer who sucked his teeth, pointed a bit , gave me a cable and one of those GRP boxes. I laid it in a trench to the road one end poking into the new box set into the wall. I also fitted a consumer unit with tails drooping into the box. They turned up and dug a trench to the nearest post when it suited them and connected it all together.

That would indeed fail recent Building Regs, and inhibit the sale of the house in future (as well as adding insurance issues and liability claims).

On the contrary, I am glad that the utility companies can pass their one-off costs onto the beneficiary of the service.

Otherwise my already high energy costs would effectively include a subsidy to housebuilders.

And did you pay a one off fee to have your electric connected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom