Connecting the car to the Internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
It really isn't clear how to do this and I'm struggling with it. Can the car connect on its own (like the BMW system) or do I have to use my iPhone 5 somehow?
By the way I tried setting up a personal hotspot but after a couple of minutes the car fails to connect.

Sorry but do you expect us to know your car from your signature or are you asking us to read your previous posts (difficult to say if previous posts are on the same car).

Sorry for the confusion of my signature, it's now corrected showing the car :) it's a C250, 2015.
More detail - iPhone 5 on the EE network. Seems very patchy to connect :(

Horrgakx said:
Sorry for the confusion of my signature, it's now corrected showing the car :) it's a C250, 2015. More detail - iPhone 5 on the EE network. Seems very patchy to connect :(

I have a similar problem with my C300h, but with O2 on an iPhone 6.

However, when I tried my work phone, iPhone 5 on Vodafone, it connects straightaway!

To be honest, you're not missing much by not connecting, but I totally understand you're frustration in something not working for no good reason.

There are lots of post on here and the web about connection issues, with the service providers and MB blaming each other why it isn't working.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Some sites say O2 needs a bolt-on to enable tethering and some say it should work out of the bag.

Has anyone found apps on the system any good?

Connected my C300h without an issue by setting up the personal hotspot on my iphone5 (Vodafone) but to be honest it's so slow and trying search for anything on google using the mouse is painful, then it switches straight off as soon as you move the car. Much quicker to use the phone itself to surf when your not driving of course its just a gimick.

So far I've used it twice in a month just to see what the hopeless apps do.

You need to switch personal hotspot on from the settings menu. Turn only bluetooth tethering on if you want to save battery.

I was confused as well till I turned personal hotspot on.

Ok thanks.

The BMW system is a leap ahead - the car has its own SIM card. This allows you to connect to the Internet without your phone and you can even stream music from services like Plex, Spotify, etc.

Ok thanks.

The BMW system is a leap ahead - the car has its own SIM card. This allows you to connect to the Internet without your phone and you can even stream music from services like Plex, Spotify, etc.

The new COMAND also has a built in SIM card for some limited data functionality like traffic updates, remote unlock etc.

Really? I must have missed this in the manual, which section is it in?
Or even better, can you describe it please? :)

The new COMAND also has a built in SIM card for some limited data functionality like traffic updates, remote unlock etc.

REALLY Regret not ordering Premium Plus Pack now :wallbash:

Command sounds amazing.

Ant

Just in case anyone is wondering, https://app.secure.mercedes-benz.com/app/#/home is the URL for the Mercedes Me remote app thinggy. I've registered with the website but how the flip do I get my car registered??

{EDIT} I've just been out to the car, there's nothing in the standard car menus. I connected to the Internet using my phone hotspot and there's nothing in the apps to allow this. So again, how do I register the car to allow the Mercedes Me to remotely unlock the car etc...?

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is wondering, https://app.secure.mercedes-benz.com/app/#/home is the URL for the Mercedes Me remote app thinggy. I've registered with the website but how the flip do I get my car registered??

{EDIT} I've just been out to the car, there's nothing in the standard car menus. I connected to the Internet using my phone hotspot and there's nothing in the apps to allow this. So again, how do I register the car to allow the Mercedes Me to remotely unlock the car etc...?

Have you registered your car on the Mercedes Me portal? (Click on "My Vehicle" and then insert VIN number). When that's done, you then have to get main dealer to switch Mercedes Me on - mine took about 1.5 hours and when finished, all the apps were available - vehicle tracking, remote lock/unlock etc etc. Works well.

I have a similar problem with my C300h, but with O2 on an iPhone 6.

However, when I tried my work phone, iPhone 5 on Vodafone, it connects straightaway!

To be honest, you're not missing much by not connecting, but I totally understand you're frustration in something not working for no good reason.

There are lots of post on here and the web about connection issues, with the service providers and MB blaming each other why it isn't working.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'd have to agree, you really arent missing a fat lot by not connecting, other than the send to car feature on Google maps where you can sent a location directly to the car's POI, there isn't much on there and even less of use, it's a shame really as MB could have done so so much more with it...

I'd have to agree, you really arent missing a fat lot by not connecting, other than the send to car feature on Google maps where you can sent a location directly to the car's POI, there isn't much on there and even less of use, it's a shame really as MB could have done so so much more with it...

I love the Internet Radio app, the channel spread is amazing.

Have you registered your car on the Mercedes Me portal? (Click on "My Vehicle" and then insert VIN number). When that's done, you then have to get main dealer to switch Mercedes Me on - mine took about 1.5 hours and when finished, all the apps were available - vehicle tracking, remote lock/unlock etc etc. Works well.
I tried to register my 2015 E400 Cabriolet with MercedesME and the website said the car was already registered to someone else! Still waiting for dealer to investigate and advise... I've never been able to connect either my previous C350 or new car to the Internet via my, admittedly old, iPhone 5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom