Connecting various gadgets to computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SG CL500

Car
FFRR TDV8
We have a number of gadgets that get plugged into computers to download info regularly (most obvious being a digi-camera) via a USB port/docking stations.

I was wondering whether anybody knew of a method of connecting the gadget to the computer 'wirelessly' by putting a dongle into the gadgets USB port, and maybe a receiver in the computer.

I have a wireless router - but was more thinking of a simple and direct link from gadget to computer, just replacing the cable.

Yes I know this is very lazy!

Thanks

I'm not aware of any such USB wireless device but some of the latest cameras by Nikon and others now include built-in wi-fi so you can transfer images wirelessly.

I also have alot of gadgets with bluetooth and that works very well.

However, my TomTom and RoadAngel still get their updates via a trusty USB cable.

S.

SG CL500 said:
I was wondering whether anybody knew of a method of connecting the gadget to the computer 'wirelessly' by putting a dongle into the gadgets USB port, and maybe a receiver in the computer.

But if you have to plug a dongle into the gadget's USB port isn't that just as much work as plugging a cable in now?! Or is it the PC end of the cable connection you want to avoid?

I leave the most common cables permanently attached to the PC, so I only have to hook up the device end. For the cameras I actually use high speed card readers rather than connecting the camera itself to the PC.

BTB 500 said:
But if you have to plug a dongle into the gadget's USB port isn't that just as much work as plugging a cable in now?!

I think what he wants to do i free up usb ports by using wifi or bluetooth to transfer rather than having to plug and unplug usb cables in.

I currently activesync my pocket pc via bluetooth, works a treat. The bluetooth software on the PC that came with the BT dongle has an icon for digital cameras so im assuming you can get bluetooth adapters for your camera and do it that way

Rumble said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB 500
But if you have to plug a dongle into the gadget's USB port isn't that just as much work as plugging a cable in now?!

I think what he wants to do i free up usb ports by using wifi or bluetooth to transfer rather than having to plug and unplug usb cables in.

Sorry - should have been clearer - it is a bit of both. We have a number of gadgets that get plugged in, although many use the same cable type anyway. But the main computer, a lap top, is just in the living room and I want to get it all 'neat and tidy' - pref. with just one cable - i.e. power.

Seems like the best solution is going to be a bluetooth set-up and switch via the computer.

Many thanks for you help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom