Connector terminal removal help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madmatuk

Car
Sprinter 109 CDI SWB Limo 22" Alloys
Hi guys,

I have a module connector for the paramterisable module, i have one cable come loose and one exposing copper, i need to remove these 2 terminals to repair, i have spent well over 2 hours trying to remove just one of them, to no avail :(

I have tried prising the little clip thing up ( as this may be a barrier ) but this didnt help either.

Can anyone help me pleassseeee :)

Pics below :
connector1.JPG

connector2.JPG

connector3.JPG

connector4.JPG

That looks very similar to a Varicon connector, very common in the broadcast/electronics world. I believe they are also called EDAC and ELCO connectors. Removal tools are widely available but cost around £50-£60, possibly a bit much for something that'll be used once.

When we couldn't find the pin extractor at work, we improvised. This method is at your own risk, your mileage may vary etc etc.

Look into the connector from the pin side (not the wiring side) with a magnifying glass. You should see a flat pin in each used receptacle. It's held in position by a small tang which projects from the flat side and locates in a corresponding cutout in the connector.

You need to see which side of the pin the tang is, then insert a small jeweller's screwdriver on the tang's side of the pin in its receptacle, pushing the tang back into the same plane as the pin. This may take a little bit of force and fiddling but the thing is quite robust. While the tang is still being pushed back, use another small screwdriver to push directly on the end of the pin and it should come out of the connector.

It's a lot easier to do than to describe, it should be obvious what to do by looking with a magnifying glass.

Anywhere near Lightwater ? I have the Mercedes contact removal set.. (which covers most of the connectors)

R

Here's a picture of an EDAC pin, the tang is clearly visible and needs to be pushed back into the cutout from whence it came for the pin to be removed.
pin-para-conector-edac.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your response/s, and sorry i didn't take picture of the other side of the pins.

They are female pins not like the EDAC pin unfortunately, i will try and take a pic in a minute.

I have tried a simple 2 pronged tool, but it is not budging, i am thinking there is some sort of barrier protection on the connector, but cant quite figure it out.

I am in Wolverhampton Richard, bit far i think :D thanks for the offer though.

Is this the set you have ? LASER 4323 Toyota Mercedes Porsche Plug Type Electrical Terminal Tool Kit 12pc | eBay

I would consider buying but not unless necessary :)

Regards
Mat

Hi Dec,

That is one awesome post, i cant believe i didnt find it! Cheers for that, my adventure continues tomorrow when i have some daylight :)

Cheers.
Mat

In case Dec's method doesn't apply to your connector, the way I described will still work as there's a similar tang on the pins in the pictures.

I am happy to report i got the pins out!! :bannana:

On the side of the connector is a barrier that needs to be slid out about 1mm. Once it is out enough you hear a click, you can then use your tool of choice either side from the top end and engage the little prongs, Quite some force was required though, it was quite surprising, tough little buggers!

This is the tool that worked for me :

Laser 3932 Terminal Tool: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I am guessing this isnt the right tool though, by the looks of the prongs either side of the pin, a flatter slightly wider pronged tool would be a better choice.

Thanks for all your help guys, its appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom