Conservatories ... Advice please

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Watchcame430, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Watchcame430

Watchcame430 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1994 SL500 and 2003 Designo S500
    We are pondering getting a conservatory to solve a downstairs space issue we have. (Also considering making downstairs open plan and even moving!)

Had a quote last night for a 3m by 3m installed and fully finished of £11k

Price seems ok I suppose but wondered what people's experiences are and any advice? (Do' s and don'ts etc)

Cheers

2. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0 M-Sport & BMW 120d Sport Plus Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8 SE (sorry, guys)
    Make sure that you have ample power points in the conservatory, and ideally extend your central heating pipes so you have a radiator or two.

Done during construction the cables and pipes can be concealed - it's better than having them on the surface if you add them later…….

1 person likes this.
  3. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    Don't scrimp on insulation - pay careful attention to the roof material.

You want a room to enjoy all year round, not a glorified fridge.

2 people like this.
  4. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    We have south facing conservatory with glass roof. Most of the time roof blinds are down because of the heat/glare. Sometimes think it would be better as summer-room with tiled roof. A whole lot cheaper than glass and cleaning is a pita up there.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Watchcame430

Car:

Thanks, good tip .. The above included all that and will make sure I don't forget for others. Cheers

6. OP
    OP
    Watchcame430

Car:

Being south facing the guy recommended polycarbonate rather than glass. Makes sense I guess but not so useful in winter.
    Will explore this more ..

7. OP
    OP
    Watchcame430

Car:

Interesting stuff ... Can conservatory companies fit a tiled roof? Will look into that .. Thanks!

8. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I'm not sure what difference it would make. We had a polycarb roof on a converted yard, south facing, we recorded over 100 F one day. The radiator was too hot to touch...but the heat wasn't on.

This room is now part of the house, with a proper insulated roof and walls...maintains 21C all year round with ease.

Glass is quieter when it rains than polycarb...but go solid, insulated if you can.

1 person likes this.
  9. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    1 person likes this.
  10. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    As others have said, I'd be more inclined to go for a summer room/orangery solution. Conservatories tend to be either too bloody cold or fiercely hot.

3 people like this.
  11. del320

del320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 E320 Coupe
    Simply, don't do it!

We've got glass conservatories at both houses - directly south-facing at the Borders one. Both get infernally hot so doors and windows must be opened thus letting in flies etc. Unusable in winter and trying to heat them would be unrealistic.

Polycarbonate roofs creak and groan with variations in temperature - but you don't see the bird crap. Glass roofs even hotter but quieter.

Garden rooms are the way to go. Solid tiled/slated roof and usable year round. I'm getting the Borders one converted next year.

1 person likes this.
  12. killwilly

killwilly Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLC 180 Sport
    I agree, my conservatory is south facing and is far too hot in the summer. I am seriously considering a solid roof alteration.

1 person likes this.
  13. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0 M-Sport & BMW 120d Sport Plus Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8 SE (sorry, guys)
    I had (in previous house) a conservatory with triple wall polycarb roof and it was far too hot in summer.

We had a silver film laminated onto the roof panels to reflect heat. It wasn't perfect, but it was a big improvement and didn't cost a lot.

14. OP
    OP
    Watchcame430

Car:
  15. OP
    OP
    Watchcame430

Car:

Thanks, will keep this in mind.

Thanks to everyone for feedback so far, it is appreciated.

Does anyone have any companies they would recommend also?

16. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    How effective is the newer glass that is supposed to cut down thermal gain from sunlight and keep heat in?

17. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    I had a 4.5 x 3.5 dwarf wall conservatory fitted on the south east side of our bungalow 2 years ago, have two roof vents and 14 opening top windows. The roof is self cleaning thermal and reflective glass, all top spec by a local island company it cost just under £15k.
    It is still very hot in summer and bloody freezing in winter (usually shut the internal door during very cold spells as heating it is a money pit). Its a great space spring and autumn but not usable on hot summer days from about 10am - 4pm even with all the windows open plus the roof vents. If you go for one don't skimp on the roof and don't get one from polycarb as its horrible and creaky with expansion and contraction and unbearably noisy when it rains, as for heating it I would have plenty of sockets fitted and use a cheap fan heater to quickly take the chill off, central heating radiator will just send the heat up through the roof and not heat the rooms pace. I would go with others and have a garden room with a proper roof and plenty of windows so you get the best of both worlds. One thing the company that built mine did not charge a penny until it was completely finished and I was satisfied. (GTI Glazing Isle of Wight)

1 person likes this.
  18. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Consider bi fold or tri fold doors to access it from the house - they are more unobtrusive when open, giving a better "through room" feel.

1 person likes this.
  19. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    Also I have low threshold doors both external and the internal one look classier and you do keep tripping over the raised bar.

1 person likes this.
  20. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
    Mine is a 5m x 4m and is used all year round mid summer and mid winter, you can get triple glazed polycarb roofing with clear insulation this keeps it cool in summer and hot in Winter. I fitted a small air con unit as well to chill it in summer, in winter I have a 3Kw oil filled radiator with timer and thermostat, between the conservatory and the house is a huge patio door when open the heat from the house central heating system balances with the oil filled rad to maintain the temp in winter and in summer the air con cools the ground floor too.

I also converted the ground floor to complete open plan took out the utility room made one massive kitchen, separated that from the dining area with a breakfast bar so I have one long room down stairs running from the front of the house, through the lounge into the dining room and then into the conservatory.

Great tip on sockets as many as you can but dont extend the central heating into there it takes you into a whole new set of building regs and then you need planning permission and all the hassle that goes with it.

Mine been done 6 years now and dont regret a minute of it, I thought about a tiled roof but you just lose too much light.

My experience FWIW

PS mine is South facing too

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.