Conservatories ... Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These minor things are never a problem. Just build it to their silly regs then rip out the cheapo doors once their backs are turned. Same applies to a radiator. Pipe it up to just below the floor then fit it when they're gone. Once you have a building certificate they'll never be back and only an eagle eyed surveyor would notice if you ever came to sell.

Confused you ... Apparently if you build the conservatory to building regs you can have a radiator and no internal doors. (ie its more of an extension)
Apparently conservatories otherwise are not considered permenent parts of the building. (therefore not allowed central heating and must have a door between to the house)

So it's still correct, I might start using it again. "Roofs" doesn't sound or read right or me.

Maybe roof (like several sheep) should be correct? We should start a trend!

Confused you ... Apparently if you build the conservatory to building regs you can have a radiator and no internal doors. (ie its more of an extension)
Apparently conservatories otherwise are not considered permenent parts of the building. (therefore not allowed central heating and must have a door between to the house)

In this case you may find it is not "permitted development", but requires planning permission.

In this case you may find it is not "permitted development", but requires planning permission.

True, almost certainly I believe.

Also if I go for one of these garden room/orangerie type things with less than a certain % of glass then planning is needed too I am told.

Anyone know how long planning takes? Want all this done by mid summer so I can sip Pimms in my new wicker chairs :bannana:

Also if I go for one of these garden room/orangerie type things with less than a certain % of glass then planning is needed too I am told.

Anyone know how long planning takes? Want all this done by mid summer so I can sip Pimms in my new wicker chairs :bannana:

The planning will be through by Christmas...not sure which Christmas though.

I will be bored by then. Good point though ..

Have a look here at the "interactive house" and at "common projects", there may even be a "mini guide"

That should help determine if you need planning permission. If you do, it will take 8 - 12 weeks from when you submit your application & pay the fee.

There should also be a link there for Building Regulations to determine if that is needed. I stand to be corrected, but I believe you can build a conservatory up to a certain size so long as the glass complies with safety standards and there is an external door between house & conservatory and no heating. As soon as you remove the door, then it is an extension it has to comply with all the regulations and the most difficult one to meet will be heat loss.
Usually, the local authority building control department are very helpful at guiding you through their requirements.
On the planning side, the planning departments are not so consistantly helpfull - depends who you speak to on the day.

edit - note that "Planning" and "Building Regulations" are totally seperate - you may need none, one or both

Last edited:
Have a look here at the "interactive house" and at "common projects", there may even be a "mini guide"

That should help determine if you need planning permission. If you do, it will take 8 - 12 weeks from when you submit your application & pay the fee.

There should also be a link there for Building Regulations to determine if that is needed. I stand to be corrected, but I believe you can build a conservatory up to a certain size so long as the glass complies with safety standards and there is an external door between house & conservatory and no heating. As soon as you remove the door, then it is an extension it has to comply with all the regulations and the most difficult one to meet will be heat loss.
Usually, the local authority building control department are very helpful at guiding you through their requirements.
On the planning side, the planning departments are not so consistantly helpfull - depends who you speak to on the day.

edit - note that "Planning" and "Building Regulations" are totally seperate - you may need none, one or both

Thanks, that is brilliant ... Much appreciated!
Will have a good look through it all.

My understanding is same as yours ... As long as mostly glass, no central heating, there is a door and 3m by 3 m or smaller you can go for it. (Nothing needed in terms of planning)

I do have grey area outside of this though so thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom