Considered opinions required W124 transplant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

callingdx

Hi Gents, I'm considering getting someone to fit a 606 (24v)diesel engine and box from a
W124 300E estate (m reg) into my W124 E200 estate (petrol0 M reg.
My questions are :-
Will the petrol tank need to be changed ?
Do the front struts need swopping (heavier engine) ?
Is it worth the effort as my annual mileage is less than 5K ?..
Would the car be worth substantially more because it' has the sought after 606 engine ?

If there are any points I've missed I'd be pleased to see your answers

Thanks Hugh

Simply not worth it.

+1, it's too much effort - and if you're paying someone for the work - too expensive. The E200 petrol with a swapped diesel engine would also need re-registering, insuring as a 'modified' vehicle, probably an engineer's report too for the conversion itself - I wouldn't undertake such a conversion for consideration of resale value!

If you're only doing 5k miles PA, why not sell the E200 estate, and put that money + the cost of whatever the engine was + the fitting costs together and buy a really nice E280/E320 petrol - enjoy the power and smoothness and don't worry about fuel costs when you're only doing 400 miles a month :)

Will

I'd say its not worth it. Sell your 200E and buy a 300D instead if you really want one, but with 5k a year i wouldnt worry about it. the 300D isnt very fast and isnt that better economical either really so i wouldnt bother with that mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom