Considering a C180K (W204), Any advice on options.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wassap

Hi Guys im after some advice.

Im considering a C180K SE as a company car at the mo, seems like a a nice enough car to me,bit spartan inside but thats to be expected with the base spec model.

Im looking to spec a few things on them, what are the must have options from MB, basically any options i have, have to come out of my own pocket, I did really want the fancy Audio 50, but just for the Media interface, but it looks as if you can get that feature retrofitted on the Audio 20.

I do like Xenons aswell, but im not sure if it worth spending 1k on them, again im may look to retro fit, them, that wasy i can take them off in 3 years time and flog them separately (yes i know im a bit of a pikey!).

But what do you reckon, whats worth having?

Also any general opinions on the car, im actually going from a Focus ST, the other cars im considering are the Audi A3 TDI 170, New Golf 170, Accord GT, so some slightly leftfield options there! (its a quirky company car scheme!)

Accord GT,

If you can get the Accord EX GT then you won't have to worry about options!

I ran Peugeot 406 Executive company cars for while for the simple reason that they literally had no options.

Unfortunately I can only get the ES GT, so no leather,xenons or sat nav anyway, the merc will cost me around £5 more a month compared to the Honda.

Lots of options are nice to have - COMAND, leather, Xenons, parking sensors etc etc but whether they're worth it not depends on your attitude. Personally I wouldn't add anything whatsoever to a company car - OK you always lose the option cost when you sell your own car anyway, but on a company car it would feel like a total loss the moment you pay the money and if you leave in 3-6 mths it's certainly lost.

If you have to have xenons you are by far better to have them factory fitted.

I had added to my company car leather and heated seats - and when I left the company I bought it and had Alfie add Comand.

Bottom line is most extras (except leather and comand) dont add much value but only make the car more desirable when selling on which on a company car is not a matter for you to consider.

Fair point that crockers.I think im being steered back towards the Honda in all honesty, dash quality seems better (i was seriously surprised), and simply more kit for the money oh and its a tad quicker being a diesel (ie torque)

I think I'll get a new Merc when I can get one with nicer engine and spec,shame really as i think the W204 looks really good in the better trim levels.

Automatic. It's great and makes such a difference.

Although it does increase the P11d value and C02 emmisions - which if you are in a typical company car (contract hire) scheme, means giving more of your hard earned to Revenue & Customs.

Fair point that crockers.I think im being steered back towards the Honda in all honesty, dash quality seems better (i was seriously surprised), and simply more kit for the money oh and its a tad quicker being a diesel (ie torque)

I think I'll get a new Merc when I can get one with nicer engine and spec,shame really as i think the W204 looks really good in the better trim levels.

A very nice car .....

I would recommend leather, heated seats, parktonic, sports edition, stereo upgrade; auto if you want it. These all add significantly to the enjoyment of a new car and are relatively good value, plus would cost lots more to retrofit
Comand can be easily retrofitted & usually costs less than new option.

If you want the full bi-xenon system, then I would strongly recommend optioning it new. They are actually good value- ?approx £800-£900; which includes self levelling- sensors on front & rear axles- plus headlight washers integrated into the bumpers. A retrofit usually just means the light units only & is nowhere near as good as the full works. The new dealer cost of all the parts gets upto approx £3000 before labour starts.

Sunroof.

Removes any feelings you may have of claustrophobia to one of sitting in an open and airy cabin. Even when its shut sunlight flows in and brightens up everything. Well worth the cash and I would suggest it really does separate your car from most others. When was the last time you saw a C Class with a sunroof?

Exactly.

Hi Guys im after some advice.

Im considering a C180K SE as a company car at the mo, seems like a a nice enough car to me,bit spartan inside but thats to be expected with the base spec model.

Im looking to spec a few things on them, what are the must have options from MB, basically any options i have, have to come out of my own pocket, I did really want the fancy Audio 50, but just for the Media interface, but it looks as if you can get that feature retrofitted on the Audio 20.

I do like Xenons aswell, but im not sure if it worth spending 1k on them, again im may look to retro fit, them, that wasy i can take them off in 3 years time and flog them separately (yes i know im a bit of a pikey!).

But what do you reckon, whats worth having?

Options are too much a personal opinion that other owners could really help but I agree with Xenons from the factory if you decide to go for those. Are they 1k in UK, there should be a basic bi-xenon option and an advanced dynamic one (the latter being expensive).

I wouldn't accept an MB without full Parktronic (again, not one to be retrofitted when you can select it from the factory).

The sunroof is nice but on small cars it may introduce an issue from the fact that it lowers the roof inside from above the driver and front passenger. Mainly something to be considered if you are really tall.

Instead of Audio 50 APS, perhaps the Universal Media Interface would be a better option as a retrofit?

Agreed, the panoramic roof is an excellent option well worth it -got one on both of ours- & this is not (practically) a retrofittable option

This is a list of options which are retrofitted with extreme pain in terms or labour or cost (fully fitted not just the bits people see).

- Xenon with washers
- Orthopaedic seats with memory and heating
- Memory steering column
- Folding rear seats
- Avantgarde / Sports version
- Parktronic
- Rain sensor (as these now require a glass change)
- Keyless Go.
- Glass roof / sunroof

Any on these options, if not factory fitted, will take a lot of effort to install or come with a hefty price tag.

- Rain sensor (as these now require a glass change)

This is interesting, I had a look at several W204 cars at shops and I found it odd when the car was supposed to have rain sensor but the sensor area was really tiny, the same size as on a car that did not have a sensor. Perhaps 1 cm by 4 cm.

From this I assumed the glass would have been the same but could it be that the car that was supposed to have a sensor, did not have one after all (I was just reading the options list on the windshield). Should the sensor area be significantly different as seen from outside or is there just some other difference in the glass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom