Considering a CLS 55 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you fill in the wrong section on the V5 it will add an extra owner, otherwise if you do it correctly it wont.

They are quite a few years old now and a lot of people have them to scratch the AMG itch. So you will often find a lot of owners as you do with most old high performance cars. If the service history is reasonable then go on condition rather than owners. Low owners is just a bonus. Yes it is a waiting game as there are only around 350 in the UK and if you want anything other than black or silver with black interior it could take years. I wanted Tanzanite Blue with a Cashmere interior. Took me three years and I was told, rightly or wrongly, that there were only three and I looked at two of them; mine was the second. Not one has come up for sale since I bought mine 4 years ago
How much did it cost you? Why is there a craze for CLS?

Thanks for the info. It’s a waiting gaming I guess to find the right one. There was one I enquired about recently has had a lot of preventative maintenance carried out needs for nothing. The gentleman just would not negotiate on the price fair enough, however the next person would be the 7th owner that put me off slightly.
Have you ever imported a car, Sir? Usually, it adds an extra owner, to the private importer, if not being ordered via the dealership. On our crv I was the 3rd owner. Dealership did not have the awd, k24 engine I wanted, when we got it we had to register it twice. Such is the norm in India. Like fellow members texted, forget the number of owners, focus on the car condition, take it to any nearest MB dealership for a full paid inspection and diagnostic scan. You'll know everything you need to know.

It's a little bad form to ask people how much they paid for their cars. Some won't mind, some will.

I wouldn't say there was a craze for the CLS, but they're classy and luxurious cars, and the AMGs are rapid. What's not to like? Prices reflect that.

I think they are becoming collectable as a classic iconic car with a good reputation for reliability. I have had mine six years now and I am reluctantly going to let her go shortly as i have just bought a 218 as my daily driver and cant justify keeping the 55 as well, even though I'm sure it would be a good investment.

One thing I will point out from my own experience of having owned 2 CLS's 219. Is that anything that has gone wrong with it has been 219 related. Things like the SBC unit, airmatic pump, window regulators, gear shifter, parking sensors, brakes, new alloy wheel, etc. I have spent a fair few £'s on mine in maintenance/repair bills. Both my last 500 and current 55 engines have been sublime and performed well.

The way a 55 dishes out the power for the price of the car is very underrated and impressive.

Another thing I have noticed is that parts and servicing costs have gone up quite a bit too. Whether they want to class that as a Brexit or Covid tax is unclear but another thing to take into account.

As above you need to take condition and maintenance history into account along with the purchase price and owners. You could see two shiny looking cars, one could be priced at £12k and the other at £15k - but the one that’s more may have had £5-10k of important maintenance / refresh work that most examples require at this age - a lack of detail may mean some things have been ignored and you’ll face those bills after you’ve bought it.

I think most long term owners (5+ years) of these cars who actually take care of them well will tell you there’s no such thing as a cheap AMG ;)

My lovely cls55 which I have owned and cared for for 6 years is now on ebay as I feel I am getting too old (72) for it. Its the blue one reg TXK

My lovely cls55 which I have owned and cared for for 6 years is now on ebay as I feel I am getting too old (72) for it. Its the blue one reg TXK
Looks tidy -

It’s a beauty and hope it goes to a good home! You are just the right age to get into a lovely Porsche - surprise your Mrs and come back home in a Boxster Spyder. Life is too short not to… ;)

It’s a beauty and hope it goes to a good home! You are just the right age to get into a lovely Porsche - surprise your Mrs and come back home in a Boxster Spyder. Life is too short not to… ;)
I have a 996 cab in the garage that hardly gets used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom