Considering a new E-Class - Advice Request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new motor, one big enough to squeeze 3 kids in the back (ages 7, 3, and 1 so car seats can be an issue) and at the moment I'm really leaning towards a new E-Class. Before I make any decision I wouldn't mind bouncing a few things off some real owners rather than sales people.

The particular variant I'm looking at is the E300 BlueTec Hybrid Saloon - various reasons, but the primary driver is that it's a company car and it has really low tax (works out the same price as the E220).

The thing I'm initially struggling with is options, especially as the guy in the dealership really didn't have a clue. These are the options I'm considering, are there any I've listed that you'd avoid or others I've left out which are worth looking at?

-Reversing Camera (not sure if the surround camera is worth the extra, and I assume you need to buy both)
-Easy pack boot box (looks handy, not sure if it makes boot space more awkward when putting in larger items (such as prams) though
-Heated steering wheel - I've never had this, just how effective is it? Is it an option worth £200?
-Multi-contour drivers seat - lumbar support is a must
-2x Integrated Child seats - these look very handy and I'm sure I'd get a lot of use out of them. Dealer had no idea what they were. Not sure how invisible they are when folded, or whether it negatively effects comfort for adult passengers. Big appeal is that they'll be less bulky than messing about with ISOFIX offerings.
-Drivers Assistance Pack - I spend most of my life sitting in motorway traffic, so this really appeals
-Bluetooth? Can you also hardwire? Can you get album art and control the music from the car rather than just the phone? What benefit is the phone prewire?
-Standard speakers - assume not worth the extra to upgrade

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on colours. At the moment my favourite is the Tenorite Grey. Although Black is favourable, and white seems to be very popular in cars these days.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I can't help with most of these, except the child seats.

I have two children, aged 5 and 6, so they have proper fixed isofix child seats (proper ones not just booster cushions). You cannot fit a 3rd person in the back with these style of seats, there just isn't room.

However, when I did need to put 3 in the back we swapped to the small booster cushions for the girls and my mum (not exactly thin!) sat in the middle. No issues at all.

I have a friend who has the integrated child seats and the same issue arises, you can't get a 3rd person in.

I've got the E220 CDi estate, had it 9 months and 32,000 miles now. Loving every minute of it and I don't regret it for one moment. No extras at all (except towbar) standard SE spec.

Personally, I'm still not sure of the new 2014 front end, but each to there own!

Hope this helps on the child seats.

Only 2 must have options for me from your list are the heated steering wheel and multi contour seats.

We're just ordering an E220 Auto sport estate.

I liked the look of the 360 camera so we're going for that, you don't need to order the reverse camera as well, it's one or the other, in so much as the 360 camera has the reverse camera and some.

Other than that I'm not going for any of the other bits you are.

We're going Diamond white (Mrs Red's choice) as we can't afford Designo Mystic Blue!

Father in law has an E220 saloon Late 2011 in Tenorite. He now wished he went for something lighter like palladium as he finds it dark and shows the muck.

However if you're considering black I can't imagine you'd feel Tenorite too dark.

We like the standard sport seats with the suede bit in the middle (I'm not a slave to leather interiors but not keen on cloth so Alcantara suits me just fine) so wouldn't choose an option that changes that.

Last edited:
The Polisher said:
I can't help with most of these, except the child seats. I have two children, aged 5 and 6, so they have proper fixed isofix child seats (proper ones not just booster cushions). You cannot fit a 3rd person in the back with these style of seats, there just isn't room. However, when I did need to put 3 in the back we swapped to the small booster cushions for the girls and my mum (not exactly thin!) sat in the middle. No issues at all. I have a friend who has the integrated child seats and the same issue arises, you can't get a 3rd person in. I've got the E220 CDi estate, had it 9 months and 32,000 miles now. Loving every minute of it and I don't regret it for one moment. No extras at all (except towbar) standard SE spec. Personally, I'm still not sure of the new 2014 front end, but each to there own! Hope this helps on the child seats.

Thanks, for the info. I expected as much in any saloon, although I was hoping that something e class/5 series size would reduce the problem somewhat. Is it still problematic if a child sits in the middle rather than an adult?

It's a shame there's little info regarding the integrated child seats. The dealer was useless and I can't find much in the way of photos and videos on the web. The other major appeal with the integrated seats is that they just disappear (no dragging bulky seats in and out of the car).

Have a 2 month old E220 and love it, with regards to options -here are my 2 cents worth to your questions:

-Reversing Camera (not sure if the surround camera is worth the extra, and I assume you need to buy both)
I have the reversing camera without the 360* surround and it works very well. It's a big car and am grateful for it! The thing parks itself but it's not always available!

-Easy pack boot box (looks handy, not sure if it makes boot space more awkward when putting in larger items (such as prams) though
Have a saloon so did not look at this.

-Heated steering wheel - I've never had this, just how effective is it? Is it an option worth £200?
Colleague chose this when he ordered his, he said it was pointless!

Have AMG Sport version and lumbar support is good on drivers seat.

-2x Integrated Child seats - these look very handy and I'm sure I'd get a lot of use out of them. Dealer had no idea what they were. Not sure how invisible they are when folded, or whether it negatively effects comfort for adult passengers. Big appeal is that they'll be less bulky than messing about with ISOFIX offerings.
I presume this is the extra seats in the boot on an estate. Would have thought very useful if have more than 2 bin lids!

-Drivers Assistance Pack - I spend most of my life sitting in motorway traffic, so this really appeals
Wish I had got this!

-Bluetooth? Can you also hardwire? Can you get album art and control the music from the car rather than just the phone? What benefit is the phone prewire?
AMG version comes with media interface kit as standard to hard wire iPod and iPhone - not sure on standard spec. Bluetooth is standard with command. Only gripe is they have not released a lightening adapter yet which means you have to fork out for a genuine 30 pin adapter if you have a 5, 5c or 5s

Sound system is excellent, unless you are 18 and want a load of drum and bass!

Only option I wish I had got is the ILS as I find the standard led headlights too low and also hate when you flip to full beam it turns everything yellow!

Colour is your own choice! I went for palladium silver.

V12 said:
Only 2 must have options for me from your list are the heated steering wheel and multi contour seats.
Ah so the heated wheel is quiet noticeable then? Not just a barely noticeable difference?

The drivers assistance pack does seam to get rave reviews, especially for the kind of driving I'll be doing, but it isn't a cheap option!

Red C220 said:
We're just ordering an E220 Auto sport estate. I liked the look of the 360 camera so we're going for that, you don't need to order the reverse camera as well, it's one or the other, in so much as the 360 camera has the reverse camera and some. Other than that I'm not going for any of the other bits you are. We're going Diamond white (Mrs Red's choice) as we can't afford Designo Mystic Blue! Father in law has an E220 saloon Late 2011 in Tenorite. He now wished he went for something lighter like palladium as he finds it dark and shows the muck. However if you're considering black I can't imagine you'd feel Tenorite too dark. We like the standard sport seats with the suede bit in the middle (I'm not a slave to leather interiors but not keen on cloth so Alcantara suits me just fine) so wouldn't choose an option that changes that.
Thanks for the advice. My concern with white is that it seems to show the muck too, so I guess you're not safe with any colour! Does that mean you'll have to change your forum name? :)

Does that mean you'll have to change your forum name? :)

The thought had crossed my mind.

Mrs Red doesn't have to clean the car so the colour is her choice!

Honestly I like something bright and colourful, but it just isn't available on an E Class for anything other that stupid money.

Hyacinth Red I've yet to see in the flesh before making a decision.

Have a 2 month old E220 and love it, with regards to options -here are my 2 cents worth to your questions:

I have the reversing camera without the 360* surround and it works very well. It's a big car and am grateful for it! The thing parks itself but it's not always available!

Have a saloon so did not look at this.

Colleague chose this when he ordered his, he said it was pointless!

Have AMG Sport version and lumbar support is good on drivers seat.

I presume this is the extra seats in the boot on an estate. Would have thought very useful if have more than 2 bin lids!

Wish I had got this!

AMG version comes with media interface kit as standard to hard wire iPod and iPhone - not sure on standard spec. Bluetooth is standard with command. Only gripe is they have not released a lightening adapter yet which means you have to fork out for a genuine 30 pin adapter if you have a 5, 5c or 5s

Sound system is excellent, unless you are 18 and want a load of drum and bass!

Only option I wish I had got is the ILS as I find the standard led headlights too low and also hate when you flip to full beam it turns everything yellow!

Colour is your own choice! I went for palladium silver.
How often do you find yourself using the parktronic system? Again, it looks impressive, but I'm not sure how often it would get used as I don't often parallel park!

I don't see media interface kit listed as an option on the standard spec, so I can assume it's there. Do you find that you often hardwire your phone, or do you rely on bluetooth? How 'slick' is the Comand system for navigating through the contents of your phone? Does it display album art etc.? Sorry for all of the questions, but I do appreciate the advice!

The thought had crossed my mind.

Mrs Red doesn't have to clean the car so the colour is her choice!

Honestly I like something bright and colourful, but it just isn't available on an E Class for anything other that stupid money.

Hyacinth Red I've yet to see in the flesh before making a decision.
I know what you mean, I fancy something different than 'normal' silver myself. I'd rather something a bit more 'sporty' looking. Black feels a bit too over popular, white I'm concerned with muck (but it does look cool when clean!), grey seemed like a happy middle ground!

I thought the Designo paint was all matt effect?

I know what you mean, I fancy something different than 'normal' silver myself. I'd rather something a bit more 'sporty' looking. Black feels a bit too over popular, white I'm concerned with muck (but it does look cool when clean!), grey seemed like a happy middle ground!

I thought the Designo paint was all matt effect?

The designo "Magno" are the awful matt things. There are two other designo colours available for a not unreasonable £1100 or so - but they are both just more shades of grey.

I'd like it this colour, but it's a £5,750 option, which is sad:-

MY2011-E63-AMG-designo-Mystic-Blue.jpg

mercedes-amg-gliptone-detailing.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's mighty fine lookin'. Expensive, but nice!

I agree, I just can't justify, or afford for that matter, £5750 as a paint option.

It's such a shame.

I've got the Hybrid and had to make some decisions as I was coming from something which had tons of extras. I chose ILS not only because they look awesome when you unlock the car and during the day but because they are simply fantastic at night. Not cheap but every time I drive in the night I fully appreciate them.

I went for nappa leather as I had it before and it lifts the interior, although porcelain can get a little dirty with young children...

I also went for pre-wire as the improved reception on the 'phone is important to me, but may not worry you too much.

Re your choices - I'd try the standard park tropic as this tells me everything I need when manoeuvring although I've never experienced a reversing camera. Re heated steering wheel - that sounds nice!

There are so many great options on the E - my old one had a TV and memory seats which I miss a little, but even in standard spec now they re so well-equipped. Basically it's down to personal choice and I'd suggest going to another dealer and speaking to someone who actually cares about what you buy. At the risk of a cliche an option is for 3 years and what might amuse you in the showroom or a test drive might prove a folly day-to-day.

Personally, if I had the choice of another option I'd go for the driver assistance pack as things like a blind spot assistant would be something I'd appreciate - speed limit warning too!

Whatever you choose you'll have a great car - just don't go for Cavansite Blue- for purely selfish reasons only! Keep us informed though and I hope this of use even though I've clearly rambled on for some time...

Storm said:
How often do you find yourself using the parktronic system? Again, it looks impressive, but I'm not sure how often it would get used as I don't often parallel park! I don't see media interface kit listed as an option on the standard spec, so I can assume it's there. Do you find that you often hardwire your phone, or do you rely on bluetooth? How 'slick' is the Comand system for navigating through the contents of your phone? Does it display album art etc.? Sorry for all of the questions, but I do appreciate the advice!

The parktronic will actually do both parallel and perpendicular parking, however I've only managed the perpendicular once! My girls (8 &5) go mental when it parallel parks itself, but that is not reason enough to buy one :) I've been surprised at how often I've used it!

The standard equipment lines in detail
SE
Active Parking Assist
Mirror Package
Collision Prevention Assist
COMAND Online system with Media Interface
DAB digital radio tuner
Front seats - heated
Honeycomb-look trim
Automatic child seat recognition sensor
Active Bonnet

Quick look on the website and it shows the SE with the media interface which means you'll get the cables to hard wire. I've not hard wired yet as I have a iPhone 5 and not bought the apple adapter. I've not seen album art when synced over Bluetooth, will have a look tomorrow as I rarely sync my iphone during the day (my work blackberry stays sync'd for hands free during the week) and report back.

Only 2 must have options for me from your list are the heated steering wheel

Me too, and it was my idea...really, someone pinched it and sold it to Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom