Considering a new E-Class - Advice Request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the cruise is malfunctioning. You set it at 70mph, but only managed 34mph

You've got the same faulty system. Were you doing 30mph or 60mph?

:p

60mpg at 30mph - simples :cool:.

I've got a E300 saloon Hybrid being delivered on the 3rd March (Cheaper than a E220 due to the BIK). It is a AMG sport, as the seats are far superior in my opinion after having both an SE and and AMG Sport on 3 day test drives.

I couldn't afford any options as it was at the top of my budget, would have loved ILS but other than that wasn't anything else on there I really wanted.

It will be Cavansite blue, not seen one in the flesh, but the colour sample in the dealer looked great. Nearly black, but excellent in sunlight.

Cavansite looks loads better than black. Imagine dark metallic Navy.

f1ack2 said:
I've got a E300 saloon Hybrid being delivered on the 3rd March (Cheaper than a E220 due to the BIK). It is a AMG sport, as the seats are far superior in my opinion after having both an SE and and AMG Sport on 3 day test drives.

I couldn't afford any options as it was at the top of my budget, would have loved ILS but other than that wasn't anything else on there I really wanted.

It will be Cavansite blue, not seen one in the flesh, but the colour sample in the dealer looked great. Nearly black, but excellent in sunlight.

It's quite light-sensitive - it can appear extremely dark in dull light conditions but then quite bright blue when the sun occasionally appears. It also, in my experience, looks much better clean - not easy at this time of the year... I'm really pleased with the choice, especially as I only have the 17" wheels - with bigger wheels you can make the car look good in most colours IMO.

Storm said:
Ah, I wouldn't mind some first hand feedback on how you're finding the hybrid. What's the mpg like (I assume nothing near the 68mpg quoted)? Does it set off 'silent' just using the electric motor when starting the car? Can you feel it kick in and out (does this get frustrating?)?.

Thanks!

My mileage is a combo of short urban commutes and longer, generally motorway journeys. I'm averaging 51.4 according the trip over 13k miles from new, which doing brim to brim measures is just over 50 true. I always get over 30 and often over 40 in town which is when the electric works well. On the motorway in cruise control is when it's least efficient relatively because it doesn't use the electric and is therefore just a heavy 250. That's when you get about 48-50. I once got 70 between beaconsfield and West London in flowing but slowish motorway traffic where you could ease off the throttle and use the electric and sail mode but that's the only time I've seen that. It's quite entertaining trying to get the electric motor working as often as possible and you learn as you go along. In the summer or if you've used the car fairly recently it will start in electric but in cold conditions it tends not to but depending on conditions it can kick in pretty soon. The engine kicks in and out seamlessly and it is impressive how they've married the two up. Yes, under load you notice the engine come in and out more but not if you're gentler on the throttle but no not frustrating to me so far. This tech will be fantastic on either a larger diesel or a petrol engine when refinement overall would be amazing - I'm encouraging a friend to look at the new S400 Hybrid - wish they'd stick that in the E... I think that sounds fantastic. That said the 2.1 is a good engine -more refined in the CLS than the E but very efficient. Hope you enjoy yours too.

Oh and they look so much better than the standard lights.
Hi,

I've seen a few people say that the ILS look much better than standard lights - in what way do they look different? I thought they were identical lighting systems, but just with the ability to move and direct beams.

Also - do you have to buy the high-beam assist option as well, or does this come as standard with ILS lights?

Dynamic seats add to the sporty element of the car and the massage is adequate, doesn't suit all people though, my father has a bad back and the massage makes it worse for him! I probably would spec them again just for the novelty factor.
Thanks for all of the info. I thought the massage function was reserved for the £2k+ seats? I've certainly ruled those out!

Yeah, I also found it cheaper than the E220. I've gone SE rather than AMG - I really could spot a noticable difference between the two and wasn't fussed with the seats. Instead I'd rather spend the money on options as I'm sure I'll see more benefit that way.

Cavansite looks loads better than black. Imagine dark metallic Navy.
You see, I'd automatically ruled out Cavansite Blue as it looked too bright for me in the configurator - but my fav colour for cars is very dark blue, to the extent it's almost black. I need to see if my local dealer has any I can look at.

My mileage is a combo of short urban commutes and longer, generally motorway journeys. I'm averaging 51.4 according the trip over 13k miles from new, which doing brim to brim measures is just over 50 true. .
Thanks a mil for the comprehensive feedback - that's exactly what I was looking for. All doubts destroyed. Hybrid it is. Thanks!

As I understand it, the standard lights on a new E class are halogen unless you spec ILS?

Have I got that right?
No. Standard lights are LED and are really impressive. Halogen is only on the full beam.

You see, I'd automatically ruled out Cavansite Blue as it looked too bright for me in the configurator - but my fav colour for cars is very dark blue, to the extent it's almost black. I need to see if my local dealer has any I can look at.

Ignore the online colours, they are rubbish for the blues. As others have said, Cavensite is a very dark blue unless you have a lot of light on it. Inside a showroom it looks black from a distance.

Coveline blue is a shade lighter, but still a pleasant, darkish blue. The online colour makes it look almost sky blue. There are lots of cars to see in Cavensite (especially on S-Class), but I've never seen another Coveline on the road.

Last edited:
Not sure if you've had an answer on integrated rear kiddie seats or not or whether my 211 experience is relevant or not but here goes.

On the 211 (estate) there were two options

- Rear facing fold out child seats in the boot

- Pop-up rear booster cushions in the (traditional, forwrd facing) rear seats.

In 211 terms the latter are "integrated child seats". They are not child seats per se but booster cushions.

Use them all the time day to day (kids are 7 and 9) but revert to high-backed boosters for longer trips.

HTH

airmatic, get airmatic
plus panoramic roof, sadly not available on cls due to low roofline
i really like the indium grey metallic on my cls sb

I do like the panoramic roof on mine (although it robs space for taller drivers).

I preferred the seat on my S211 and find the seats OK in the S212. They seem to have more adjustment on the memory seats than the manual ones (not sure if this is true but the memory seat does seem to go lower?). The seats in our Honda Accord are better than the S212 but not by enough to really bother me.

Anything else I'd go for. Apart from the upgraded headlights, not much.

I think it may have been mentioned but personally Distronic is a must.
Also main beam assist I have in my e class and I think every car in the world should have as standard for all those drivers who constantly blinding your view! At some point probably all been guilty of it ay?

I took a E300 Hybird a few months ago and took the following. I can recommend all of them.
- Surround camera
- Drivers Pack (self steering and Distronic Plus cruise)
- Heated Steering wheel
- Standard Audio 20

They make a big difference, especially the drivers pack / Distronic+, which is awesome, a real glimpse of the future. The self steering, without touching the wheel on accelerator at sub 20mph is mind blowing in traffic. I also find I can tuck in between a coach at 65mph using distronic set to min distance and get 59mpg - see attached. I drive 100 miles per day up and down M40.

P.

Last edited:
Bloody iphone....

P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom