Considering a Porsche....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Halcyon Days said:
Budget would be <£20k so that would be a good 996, but a bit of a shed of a 997, unfortunately. I'm aware of the issues with the intermediate shaft bearing and oil seals and I'll be scrutinising the history first to see if these jobs have been done. The Boxster engine has the same issue, as do the early 997's. Eyes wide open (As they were when I bought my M272 engined CLK!) Agree that the C4S is the "looker" and is the first choice, but they are right at the top of the budget. A same age C2 with sensible mileage and good history are around £5k less.. My head keeps telling me that the Boxster is the way to go. I could get a 2008 car rather than a 2003 911, it would be (almost) as quick blagh blagh blagh... Then my heart just taps me on the shoulder and says "nice, but it's not a 911, is it?" And that would probably ruin the boxster for me! lol Thanks for your insights, much appreciated :) Oh, and you can't even read the Porsche owner's UK forum as a guest, never mind post! :-(

I the oil seal go more than once on one of my 996 3.6 engines so history will not help you.

Rob,

Quick response from the PCGB Communications Director Nick Pike :

"I have checked his profile and he is a valid forum user, albeit not currently a PCGB member so will not be able to view the member only threads.

I think you may find that the answer is above, he will need to login to access many of the threads"

You should, by logging in, be able to access the model specific sub-forums, a wealth of info on many models including Boxster, 996, 997 etc, although as Nick says, there are certain Member Only parts of the forum. Hope this will help with your decision making.

Another potential source of help - PCGB Regional monthly meetings always welcome guests, especially potential owners. Don't know whether R15, South West (July meeting July 8 at Porsche Exeter) or Region 26, Dorset would be closest to you. Equally, the competition (TIPEC, the Independant Porsche Enthusiasts Club) has a loyal following - although I've never participated myself. Would give you an opportunity to talk to owners face to face!

Hope this helps.

Rob,

Quick response from the PCGB Communications Director Nick Pike :

"I have checked his profile and he is a valid forum user, albeit not currently a PCGB member so will not be able to view the member only threads.

I think you may find that the answer is above, he will need to login to access many of the threads" .....

Hope this helps.

It must have been my works PC blocking access as I can see the buyer's PDF guide from my home PC! :bannana:
The guide is very detailed and helpful, thanks for pointing me in the right direction Chris :)

PS.. going to look at a couple of C4S (1 coupe 1 vert) :thumb:

Happy to have assisted Rob, hope it helps with your search for a suitable "boys toy"!!

In pure economics terms, look at the earlier FE Porsches - a well sorted 944S2 or 968 will be as much fun as a "911" - but a hell of a lot cheaper!

Haha!! stop trying to convert me to the dark side :p I like the 968 as a friend and think i would spoil the relationship by getting inside one :D

Try looking on 911uk.com
Its easy to access and very informative
a 997gen II is worth considering...but im biased

...a 997gen II is worth considering...but im biased

A 997 gen2 would be lovely, but waaaay out of my budget (Unless my numbers come up tonight!)

So I looked at a couple of 996s today. The first a C4 convertible, the second a C4S coupe.

Both cars were lovely - the experience of the two garages could not have been any more different!!!
First garage, the garage is in a village and a bit shabby. He had a range of BMW & Mercedes (Some which looked a little long in the tooth)
Owner moved the car, gave me the history file and left me to it. so I went through the paperwork and gave the car a once over. After 10-15 minutes, i went back into the office and asked a couple of questions - basically, he knew nothing more about the vehicle than was written in the history book - it was bought at an auction.
I asked for a test drive..
and he refused! He said that the history shows that its a good car and I would have to put down a deposit before I could drive it!
His idea of brilliant history was a £4000 bill from a Porsche dealer for new tyres, exhaust and windscreen wipers!
So I left there sharpish.

The next one. the dealer premises was small, but a nice collection of vehicles. I was even offered a drink! The car was a black C4S. It was gorgeous.. Not concours by any means, but obviously looked after.
All bills and receipts from new. recent wheel refurb and main dealer minor service. Owner brought car from a local man and knew the car well. Talked about the issues he had found with the car (and that it's booked in to sort them) He moved the car, gave me the keys and advised some good roads to drive on - "see you in a bit!" :) When I got back, he described their 12mth warranty and offered a good trade-in value on my CLK.

I have a couple more to look at (inc a Boxster) before I make any decision.

The second one Sounds nice. I hope you find what your looking for.

Mika,

Long time no see. How's things, I take up it your still enjoying the car? Taken it to Goodwood lately? I am trying to arrange an outing there with Ricky PM me your email if your interested.

It would be good to catch-up.

Justin

The C4 and C4S are different animals - the latter having the wide body, turbo suspension and brakes and lovely red stripe across the back and is a desirable car.

Please don't buy a C4.

S

Agree mostly Simon, the 4s is a nicer car (it's the one I had) but I hate the red reflector at the back I thought it looked tacky compared to the standard.

Hope you are well mate?

The C4S and the C4 are different indeed. The C4S is slightly slower, has a large price premium and higher running costs.
It's the same on the inside though, and that's where I spend my time! :D
And it's not like the standard C2/C4 is ugly ;)
After comparing a C4 and a C4S back to back, I don't feel that the price difference is worth it.. Found a lovely looking c2 with less miles than the C4S (Though 2 years older) for <£14k
Head is overruling the heart here, I think!

OMG, another one who thinks it's OK to have the engine at the wrong end!!:dk::dk::eek::eek:

Another forum that I find is very good is Porsche Boxster Forum.

I don't know much about 996's but would say exercise caution with early 997's as engine can be a weak spot, my brother's one ran up a £10k build after a valve failure.

I have a facelifted 986 and its been brilliant, generally I find that second generation Porsche's are much better. There was a 987 Gen II PDK recently advertised for around the £20k mark and they are great cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom