Considering a W212 E63 - any owners want to share their experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trando

Car
C63 AMG
Whilst I love my C63, I am seriously considering a new E63. I have done most of the due diligence but are there any owners on this forum that can share their experiences?

Cheers.......

Cant comment on the 63's but the 212 inside and out, is a massive quality jump over the 204. Lovely interior, genuinely nice to drive and brilliant cars

Massive discount and cheap finance on them at the moment - surprised me they are doing that so soon, however surely the new and coming CLS55 is the one to have with whats being mooted as AMG`s best ever engine ?

Edit to say the E63 is a bit vanilla in that you wont be noticed driving it (bit like my jag) - if your ok with anonymity its great value £ / BHP / quality

Last edited:
If you're going to get a new one wouldn't it be better to hold out for the summer and get one with the 5.5 bi turbo?.

I should have been more specific. When I say new I mean the new model E63 as opposed to the older W211 bodyshape. I won't be buying brand new - I'm looking at 6 months old ish.

Blackman - thanks for the thread reminder - very interesting....

DS Liverpool - I don't mind the vanilla look. The C63 is not quite so subtle but my previous C55 was pretty anonymous.

Oli - yeah - I had thought about that but they will probably be a bit pricey for me to begn with...

There is one for sale on eBay for something like £57k which, relatively speaking, is a bargain against the original price.

I should have been more specific. When I say new I mean the new model E63 as opposed to the older W211 bodyshape. I won't be buying brand new - I'm looking at 6 months old ish.

I seriously think that buying new with Mercedes finance will be the cheapest way of owning one of these, Mercedes are throwing money into the deal to get them out there on the roads so take advantage.

Even buying a year old one with cash will cost you more in depreciation than you can rent one off Mercedes for brand new.

You really need to look into this properly as the prices are still falling at an incredible rate.

There is a very nearly new one (black) with hardly any miles for £59,950 at Mercedes Tonbridge - I'm sure you could get it down to £55k........

Nice car, but a bit pricey for what it is.

what sort of deals are available on new E63s?

A lot of the contract hire places were advertising deals on their way in February for the E63 recently, so Mercedes is probably doing something to clear the last few old models before the bi-turbo arrives or something?

The best deals tend to be through brokers, Mercedes can't be seen to be giving away too much, if you had just spent £80,000 on an E63 that was loosing £1800 a month you wouldn't want to see your car being advertised with Mercedes for £699 a month would you!? ;)

In 2009 there were silly deals about on Mercs, E220cdi's for £239 a month, C220cdi estates for £209 a month, but not through Mercedes, all through online brokers. All were supplied through Mercedes UK, and they were clearing the 9000 cars sat in fields, but they could not advertise these cars themselves, there would have been serious backlash from customers.

Blackman - thanks for the thread reminder - very interesting....

DS Liverpool - I don't mind the vanilla look. The C63 is not quite so subtle but my previous C55 was pretty anonymous.

Oli - yeah - I had thought about that but they will probably be a bit pricey for me to begn with...

That's understandable, I don't know why E Classes tend to depreciate so quickly:dk:, although from the reviews and general reception the 212 has had I think they may be alot firmer than the 211 was residual wise, if I were in your position I would probably hold onto the C63 longer and wait for a year, for a few 5.5 bi turbo versions to be reasonable on the second hand market.

Trando, the E63 I had for a day was probably the single best all-round car I've ever driven to date. Period.

I can see the appeal, so much that I came to within a signature of buying one (heck, I went past that...the deposit was paid and I only got it back as it was the dealer who were messing around on price!).

Compared to the C63 it feels better engineered, much more solid on the road, more refined and dare I say, quicker (even than mine...so much, much quicker than a non-PPP or tuned C63)! It had all the good things about the C63 but in better developed package with the main key improvements of suspension and gearbox being leagues ahead.

However, although subjective I don't think they look as good and they definitely don't stand out as much - in a whole day driving, nobody noticed it.

They also drop a lot of value and in contrary to Gizze's suggestion, I could not revisit the prospect of buying a new one. Even though MB's offer gives £10k off the car (and you can probably shave another £2k off that), you can get a 6-12 month old car spec'd to over £85k with under 10k on the clock for around £60k. That's still £10-15k LESS than Mercs discounted price so just imagine what the first owners of those cars were offered by the traders now selling them....£55k at best is my bet! Do you want to sink £70-£75k on a car that will lose £20k in 6 months?

I know many will think this is rich coming from me given how I go through cars but lets not forget that it is me who pulled out of such a deal at the final whistle! And if I've pulled out of such a deal, which on the face of it looked extremely good, then that's saying something!

Go buy a decently spec'd one for c.£60k and make sure it has the right kit with as many of the 'packs' as possible (PP, Drivers, Luxury etc) and you'll have a much better driving (but more discreet) car to what you currently have.

Personally, I'm waiting for facelift C63 (or coupe) because if they've sorted the suspension (and I believe there are some big differences in suspension hardware and set-up) and fitted the MCT gearbox then it will be right up there with the E63 in the way it drives whilst maintaining the rudeness that only the C63 seems to carry off!

I've got to say though, the Porsche is growing on me though!

so Mercedes is probably doing something to clear the last few old models before the bi-turbo arrives or something?

I can't see why - there's a 2-3 month wait for a new one so can't see why they'd need to clear stock when they don't have any (unregistered)?

More likely that people just aren't buying them....meaning the factory ain't making them!

More likely that people just aren't buying them....meaning the factory ain't making them!

This is what my salesman said in September - C63s are flying out of the showroom but nobody is buying the E63s. His own thoughts were that mercedes had just priced it too high.

S

I can't see why - there's a 2-3 month wait for a new one so can't see why they'd need to clear stock when they don't have any (unregistered)?

I don't know at all, I was just guessing out loud, hence the question mark?

It was after seeing a few contract hire sites with "E63 Deals coming in February" made it sound like something was happening, never normally see 'coming soon...' deals on a contract hire site.

I wouldn't buy new either, I meant, rather than plonk you money into an unknown, even if it has already lost £20,000, I think I would be happier to contract hire for 24 months at £799 a month, at least you know exactly where you stand. Plus there is only a £2500 deposit when doing that deal.

I am sure that we will see the first E63 at £49k by next Jan, but if Mercedes are keeping the numbers tight prices may fair better than in the past.

Still considering the options...

Thanks for everyone's input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom