considering buying a cls 320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggurs

Car
bmw 53d e60
Hi all
im a newbie here so please be gentle.
I currently have have a bmw 530d e60 and now considering buying a cls 320cdi.
is there any specific things I need to look out for when buying that model (apart from the usual checks)
For example on the bmw diesels swirl flaps were a big issue which would break and get ingested into the engine with those models as was the oil breather filter which would clog up and cause turbo failure.
Any help and advise would be a greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to the site.
I have a 320 and love it. So much so it was for sale now its not :) or is it?
I bought mine a year ago, I had the electroplate in the gearbox fail, this luckily was under warranty at the time or I would have been hit with a bill for over £1200.
Also I had an issue with a glow plug, so had them all changed, this was also by the garage I bought it from £300 under warranty.
Once you have found one, take it for a long drive, at least 25-30 miles, make sure all the gear changes are smooth and it kicks down when it should if it doesn't suspect plate failure, also the glow plug light on mine stayed on, this indicated the plugs are shot. Also mine has the air suspension, this can sag over night, I had mine re calibrated on star, this was only £40 but worth mentioning. Other than that I do like mine, I am in need of an estate really, but cant yet bring myself to part with the CLS

Make sure it has parking sensors as rear visibility is attrocious, they weren't standard and you'd be surprised how many otherwise decent spec CLSs don't have them.

I am in need of an estate really, but cant yet bring myself to part with the CLS

Criminal that they didn't give these drop down rear seats, or even the option when new, as that's all most people need.

Make sure it has parking sensors as rear visibility is attrocious, they weren't standard and you'd be surprised how many otherwise decent spec CLSs don't have them.

Criminal that they didn't give these drop down rear seats, or even the option when new, as that's all most people need.

the the boot is a good size but not if you wan to put a bike in there its not :fail

Agreed on the drop down rear seats. My old CLK coupe had these and it made the car amazingly useful. Real PITA not having them in the CLS.

the the boot is a good size but not if you wan to put a bike in there its not :fail

Exactly, a couple of 5 series saloons I had years ago had drop downs and I carried bikes, ladders and all sorts in them.

CLS is not supposed to be practical :)

that's why it only has 4 seats :)

What's not practical about two in comfort as opposed to three sliding about on a park bench?

Thanks for all your replies.
I know rear visibiltity is going to be a pain but didn't realise that parking sensors were not standard.
My 5 series has rear folding seats (and from what I understand not all 5 series have it) and I might just miss that! especially as my mrs dont drive it will be the only car in the household.
Not too fussed about only 2 seats in the back. Only have one 8 yr old daughter and so it's not an issue. Good excuse not to be able to drive around 4 mates!!
Thanks again everyone

Look for a good late cls grand edition, they tend to have parking sensors, sat navy with Bluetooth and iPod connectivity and it's a 3.0v6 cdi with 272bhp . Reasonably priced too. Just got mine and it's great.

Look for a good late cls grand edition, they tend to have parking sensors, sat navy with Bluetooth and iPod connectivity and it's a 3.0v6 cdi with 272bhp . Reasonably priced too. Just got mine and it's great.

That model is actually the most common for missing them, they look high spec on paper because of the standard fit extras, sat nav, xenons etc, but many had nothing extra, whereas most others have a few of the cheaper things added at least like the parking sensors and they are not cheap or easy to fit later.

Definitely the one to go for otherwise, what I was going for until lured by the dark side, but watch the insurance as it's a fair bit more expensive than the AMG for some reason.

I bought a Grand Edition as the spec seemed about right, but then tried finding one with memory seats in the colour I wanted (beige leather), went for a standard spec one in the end.
As I'm the only driver I'll never really need memory seats, but Parktronic is a must. I would consider a retro fitting a rear view camera to mine.

As for the car, it's sublime. I came from a C class 220cdi, which I loved, but this is another level.

b1g1an said:
That model is actually the most common for missing them, they look high spec on paper because of the standard fit extras, sat nav, xenons etc, but many had nothing extra, whereas most others have a few of the cheaper things added at least like the parking sensors and they are not cheap or easy to fit later. Definitely the one to go for otherwise, what I was going for until lured by the dark side, but watch the insurance as it's a fair bit more expensive than the AMG for some reason.

I searched hard for a more kit on the grand edition. It has the AMG body kit, cooled seats, sunroof, parktronic front and rear, airmatic and heated rear seats. Insurance wasn't a problem, it was close to my b class

ckember said:
I searched hard for a more kit on the grand edition. It has the AMG body kit, cooled seats, sunroof, parktronic front and rear, airmatic and heated rear seats. Insurance wasn't a problem, it was close to my b class
forgot about the memory seats too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom